What are some unique things to do in Ottawa?

So I'm in Ottawa for real work and find myself with little to do tonight / tomorrow before I head back home. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for amazing things to do? I am with a non-SP friend, so as much as I would like to fill my time with some lovely gents from here, it is really not an option.

I also figure this thread may help future visitors to Ottawa take advantage of their time here.

Preferably it would be something that is unique to Ottawa / Ontario.

Bonus points if it's cheap.

Bonus points if it's near Ottawa/Gatineau centre.

Bonus points if it is exciting and adventurous.

What is your favourite thing to do in this wonderful town?

I would def go to the byward market and maybe get a beavertail (unique to Ottawa... And yummy lol)there... Lots of pubs and restaurants... Great place for an evening.

Elgin street is great for restaurants and nightlife. I'll include Sparks street too.

As for unique, maybe go to parliament hill, and do a tour there. Rideau canal is a nice spot, not sure if they still do boat tours on it or not.

Lots of museums, national art gallery (free Thursday evenings), history museum, natural history museum... The war museum is fantastic, must do... If you like that type of thing.

I'll try to think of more for you.

• Like 1

Guest **cely***r***ne

The natural art museum is amazing!

I haven't been to Ottawa in years but last time I was there you could rent bicycles and I wanted to ride around the canal...again I'm not sure of its available but I'd definitely do it if it were an option.

The natural art museum is amazing!

I haven't been to Ottawa in years but last time I was there you could rent bicycles and I wanted to ride around the canal...again I'm not sure of its available but I'd definitely do it if it were an option.

Good idea, check out velogo.ca to see where the locations are... Should be in or near the market area.

• Like 1

YES, like Maraena just said, rent a bicycle (ask at hotel) and ride beside the canal South to Hogs Back and then back on the opposite side of canal. If you're early in day (9-10am) or later (4-6pm) chances of seeing a boat go thru a lock is very good. When at a lock, just ask the lockmaster if a boat is coming thru soon.

There are also very short term car rentals around; drive in the Gatineau Park (best entrance in west Hull, 2-3 kms East from Champlain bridge). Go right up to Belvedere Champlain. (stunning viewpoint)

Edited by 1963Kennedy
spelling
  • Like 1

A few places I have always enjoyed, most of these require checking for a specific event or day but if the timing works out for someone it is a fun way to spend a few hours. :icon_cool:

Diefenbunker - http://diefenbunker.ca/category/events-calendar/

Yoga on Parliament Hill (Lulu Lemon class) - http://www.lululemon.com/stores/ca/ottawa/rideaucentre

Centretown Movies - https://centretownmovies.wordpress.com/schedule/

National Arts Centre (personally I love the Orchestra) - http://nac-cna.ca/en/

National Gallery - https://www.gallery.ca/en/see/exhibitions/current (I personally cannot resist a couple of those current exhibits)

Hiking - I am still figuring out good areas to go when I am in town but there is a lot of great land around the city.

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places-to-visit/greenbelt/things-to-do/hiking-walking-greenbelt

• Like 1

Those are all great ideas! I love the idea of renting a bicycle, but unfortunately the girl I am with is from China and has never learned to ride :-(

I think today would be a great day for yoga and the war museum! Or perhaps a boat cruise to check out where Mr. Harper lives.

One thing that has evaded us, is the horse carriage rides. We saw them the first night we were here, then the following day at lunch. But we can never seem to find them whenever we have the time. Anyone know how that works?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Appreciate it

Sorry, don't have any info on the horse carriage rides.

Boat tour on Ottawa river is great idea (used to have them on canal till NCC screwed that up).

Walk around the 7 locks beside the Chateau Laurier

Three museums somewhat close, War, National Gallery and Nature. 4th, History is just across the river.

Inquire about short term car rental.

Good Luck

John Cundell has the last livery stable in Lowertown Ottawa. He's at 113 York Street and his phone number is 613-241-8054. He has two carriages. I understand the rides are a bit expensive but if you're in the Market and see either carriage taking a break you're welcome to come up and give the horse's nose a scratch.

• Like 1

I love the idea of renting a bicycle, but unfortunately the girl I am with is from China and has never learned to ride :-(

That's a bit unusual - someone from China has never learned to ride a bicycle! :icon_smile: Time has certainly changed.

Hiking - I am still figuring out good areas to go when I am in town but there is a lot of great land around the city.

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places-to-visit/greenbelt/things-to-do/hiking-walking-greenbelt

A short drive up the Gatineau Park is very scenic and enjoyable - if your prefer outdoor fresh air and nature settings. Pink Lake is a pleasant place to go for hiking. The path around the lake takes about an hour and is fairly easy.

Guest D***el B***e

Something unique to do in Ottawa? That's easy! Plan a visit to see Daniel Boone!!!! lol sorry I couln't resist!

Along a similar note, I am moving to Ottawa next month and in August my sister and her family will be visiting for a week. Does anybody have any suggestions that might interest a hockey mad 10 year old boy?