Federal Election 2015

Guest s******ecan****

A place to post news and opinion regarding the upcoming federal election which must take place on or before Oct 19 this year.

Please keep it civil all opinions are welcome (yes even you CPC supporters).

As with all things Lyla don't engage in personal attacks. Think before you post (why not make use of the "preview post" option), or even better when something really bothers you why not take a half hour or so before replying.

I plan to vote against the CPC and will vote for whichever opposition candidate has the best chance of winning in my riding. That means for the first time in my life I am open to voting for the NDP. BTW I voted for Harper twice, both times reluctantly on account of the lack of viable alternatives.

I also support the idea of a coalition government if that is what it takes to keep Harper from another term.

Discuss (nicely)8)

On thing you have stated is not accurate, that it must be held on or before Oct 19th. Technically the government has a hard five year limit with a few exceptional exceptions, and the PM in his wisdom could hold off visiting the Governor General and dropping the writ, even with the fixed date legislation.

Guest *Ste***cque**

Talking politics with friends typically gets heated so I don't bring it up but when it comes up I am surprised by the number of people who are for Harper, especially seniors.

I do have a problem with Trudeau. He's just not ready. :) That is a clever ad as it does speak to a lot of peoples concerns about him and "he's just not ready" seems to sum it up nicely. Mulcair? I just can't bring myself to vote for a person who has disregard for the business community. There is no wealth distribution without wealth creation and business, not government, creates that. He's for working families, just not hard working families.

This is me trying to be civil. :)

Guest s******ecan****
On thing you have stated is not accurate, that it must be held on or before Oct 19th. Technically the government has a hard five year limit with a few exceptional exceptions, and the PM in his wisdom could hold off visiting the Governor General and dropping the writ, even with the fixed date legislation.

Technically in a Parliamentary system the government only has to call an election if it loses the confidence of the house or the GG. I stated it as on or before the fixed date because that is the reality we are dealing with.

I am surprised by the number of people who are for Harper, especially seniors.

Me too..

His cutting of services & funding, yet spending millions fighting prostitutes, drug addicts and veterans in court- I find that distasteful enough, but their apparent inability to draft competent legislation is really shocking.. I'm my opinion, obviously.

I don't like Harper, but there is enough about the Liberals and NDP I don't like, and I dislike the idea of picking the 'lesser of evils', or however it's said.. I don't think any of the parties really care for my vote anyways, lol.

Isn't there a way to vote for none that doesn't involve not voting?

• Like 4

I like Justin but I will be voting for Thomas. I've always liked the NDP party. With that being said, I haven't watched the government channel (CPAC) and kept up with politics in over a year. Now is a good time to brush up on things. If I switch sides it will to be on the liberal side anyway. Although, I liked some of the conservatives policies, there's too much I don't like about them. For example retirements, seasonal laborers and E.I., the fisheries and I can list off a bunch more stuff. I don't like this sneaky family funding they are giving out just before an election. Do you think people are buying into that?

I'd be in favour of a coalition government between the NDP and Liberals. I think they would balance each other out well, but more importantly we'd be finally done with Harper.

The stifling of scientists, his unwillingness to allow dissent within his party or scrutiny from the media, environmental policies, loss of privacy rights...I can't think of a comparable Canadian Prime Minister for how much we've lost in some of these areas.

Even his attack ads drive me crazy and could be used as a lesson in logical fallacies!

I find what is tricky in Canada is that all those who vote left of center are split between the liberals, ndp, and even green. Anyone who wants to vote right, however, is basically voting conservative. It's why election after election even though the majority of Canadians are more liberal leaning we keep getting the conservative party.

I actually didn't mind the conservatives so much before they joined with the alliance, and can think of great historical conservative prime ministers. But I truly hope we finally get a change.

• Like 3

I'd be in favour of a coalition government between the NDP and Liberals. I think they would balance each other out well, but more importantly we'd be finally done with Harper.

I agree, but it seems as though Justin's not on board with this.

Guest s******ecan****

I don't like this sneaky family funding they are giving out just before an election. Do you think people are buying into that?

Some think their recent uptick in the polls is because of this.

As far as what Parker said about voting for none of the above you can always write that on your ballot on election day.

I know some don't like the idea of "spoiling" your ballot but I think its a perfectly acceptable way to express yourself. Certainly its better than just not showing up at all.

I don't like this sneaky family funding they are giving out just before an election. Do you think people are buying into that?

His constituents will definitely buy into that.

He just bought his next majority government with your tax dollars!

That program very well thought out and tested on focus groups. Harper does know how to get the voters loyalty: he puts a cheque on their hands. Voters will remember that cheque more vividly than any NDP lecture on policy. Cash in hand trumps any program. The NDP and Liberals both had much better day care plans but Harper simply handed out a few hundred bucks direct

direct directly to the voters. The results of the last election show how effective this is. Targeted spending on his own hardcore base pays off. Same with the tax deduction for sports involvement. Most struggling single moms won't have kids playing hockey but that doesn't matter. His base is the suburban soccer mom who can afford it, and right or wrong, she gets the tax deduction. The single mom who probably would not vote for him anyway gets nothing.

The Tories also know who to focus on. They know who is going to vote for them, who is on the fence, and who the no-hopers are. They don't waste money trying to appeal to everyone. Petitions about repealing c36 mean nothing to them. They know we will not vote Tory so they don't waste time or energy on us.

You don't vote? Harper doesn't care. Someone who feels disenfranchised is not likely to vote for an incumbent. Your opinions, concerns, etc mean nothing as far as he cares.

• Like 1

Well I'm a political agnostic, but I can't bring myself in anyway shape or form to consider voting CPC

So that brings it to Liberal or NDP

Ideally, I think a minority government is better than majority, it forces the Government to listen to all parties in the House...a majority and the Government can do what it pleases

So for me its either Liberal or NDP

So who to choose....

Hmmmm.....well Justin does have nice hair LOL

RG :-)

• Like 2

It pains me to think that anyone can buy in to this government in any way, given their history of dishonesty. Just as one quick example, bear in mind that Harper promised before he was elected PM that he would never appoint a Senator that hadn't been elected to the position, the way that Alberta does. Then consider that he's appointed over fifty Senators since he became PM.

This is why there are so many attack ads aimed at Supposedly Not Ready Justin and Supposedly Angry Thomas. Because they don't want anyone to look at their record of honesty.

• Like 3

His constituents will definitely buy into that.

He just bought his next majority government with your tax dollars!

That program very well thought out and tested on focus groups. Harper does know how to get the voters loyalty: he puts a cheque on their hands. Voters will remember that cheque more vividly than any NDP lecture on policy. Cash in hand trumps any program. The NDP and Liberals both had much better day care plans but Harper simply handed out a few hundred bucks direct

direct directly to the voters. The results of the last election show how effective this is. Targeted spending on his own hardcore base pays off. Same with the tax deduction for sports involvement. Most struggling single moms won't have kids playing hockey but that doesn't matter. His base is the suburban soccer mom who can afford it, and right or wrong, she gets the tax deduction. The single mom who probably would not vote for him anyway gets nothing.

The Tories also know who to focus on. They know who is going to vote for them, who is on the fence, and who the no-hopers are. They don't waste money trying to appeal to everyone. Petitions about repealing c36 mean nothing to them. They know we will not vote Tory so they don't waste time or energy on us.

You don't vote? Harper doesn't care. Someone who feels disenfranchised is not likely to vote for an incumbent. Your opinions, concerns, etc mean nothing as far as he cares.

And these are some of the reasons why I refuse to vote conservative. It seems like their party feeds off of the vulnerable, including our environment, precious resources and animals. Whether or not the Tories want to believe it (sorry if this sounds derogatory or offensive. It's for a lack of words) or not, the blue collar workers run our country. We don't even make our own coffees anymore. Don't believe me, go to Timmies in the morning. It's the fine ladies and gentlemen greeting us with our breakfast, building our country and paving our streets. We should tip our hats off to these kind people. I get a general feeling that all the Tories care about is $$$ and that they want to turn us into U.S.A. Steven uttering privatised health care and such.

That's why I'm more for the NDP. They seem to care for the people. Maybe it's because they were the official opponents to the conservatives, that I saw more talk time. However, I liked how they fought back about various topics concerning our country. Having volunteered at various social programs, I saw first hand how they help people. I guess I'd rather see programs helping people, rather than new jails being built and them being over populated. I like how the N.D.P. are into these type of things. However, that's the same reason why N.D.P.'s get a hard time. All of these things cost money and I hear that the N.D.P.'s are not good with a budget. Can someone elaborate why or why not the budget statement is true or false?

With all of that being said, the only thing I liked from the conservatives is the fact that they are budget conscious. If certain programs are not working and we could modernize things...do what you have to do.

I'm very much with Slacker. I'm sad that our government can be bought. I guess that's the way things work. Everytime I think of politics now, I think of the show "House of Cards".

I'm not even going to touch bill C-36.

Ha! I'll try to be nice, but there isn't one f$&@ing politician I would trust as far as I could throw them. That said, what's brutally important, Canada's economy, the useless Senate, the promises they ALL make and can't keep them, world issues, military and defence, so many other topics and none of them could do a respectful job. As of today I'm still undecided BUT something has to change. My nickel on politics.

• Like 2

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

By doing nothing--not voting--you allow Harper to win. Not voting, or spoiling your ballot is exactly what Harper wants you to do.

If you do not like Harper and his cronies you need to vote against them. The Tories have a large and loyal base of voters that will be voting for Harper. If you do not vote you ensure a Harper victory.

Vote strategically, for whoever is most likely to unseat a Tory incumbent.

The ONLY way to get rid of him is to vote against him.

• Like 3

If you happen to be in a riding that has an independent candidate running and you are not interested in voting for any of the 4 main (5 in Quebec) parties and do not want to spoil the ballot or not vote voting for them is the best.

If you are able to get enough support for them and there are enough elected, currently there are 8, and a close to majority minority govt they are actually quite powerful as swing votes and generally will represent their riding wishes far better than party MP's

Guest s******ecan****

For those in the "anybody but Harper" camp who aren't committed to any of the other party's, here is something to consider. There is a interesting grassroots campaign that is actively trying to bring about the result you desire (ie anybody but Harper).

Here is a link to their website

http://www.leadnow.ca/

They have many resources to keep you informed and educated and also opportunities to get involved if you so choose.

As far as what Parker said about voting for none of the above you can always write that on your ballot on election day.

I know some don't like the idea of "spoiling" your ballot but I think its a perfectly acceptable way to express yourself. Certainly its better than just not showing up at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, (and as soon as I say that I usually am, lol) but--

Isn't there a way to actually vote none? and if enough people vote none, the parties have to redo the election with NEW candidates?

.. or is that if enough people spoil their ballots they do that?

(Politics can be so very confusing and although I don't approve, I can understand why some people would choose to just not vote.)

Guest s******ecan****
Correct me if I'm wrong, (and as soon as I say that I usually am, lol) but--

Isn't there a way to actually vote none? and if enough people vote none, the parties have to redo the election with NEW candidates?

.. or is that if enough people spoil their ballots they do that?

(Politics can be so very confusing and although I don't approve, I can understand why some people would choose to just not vote.)

No there is no "none" option on the ballot. You could turn in a blank one or write "none" on it. However any ballot marked this way is considered invalid and is not counted. So "none" could never win a majority.

example if 10 people voted the following way;

3 voted Harper

7 wrote "none"

Harper would win with 3 votes. The other 7 wouldn't count except for a symbolic way in the voter's mind.

Also since spoiled ballots are not counted we never know how many people choose to do this, so as a form of protest it isn't very effective.

Hope that helps

Isn't there a way to vote for none that doesn't involve not voting?

Apparently not in federal elections: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/declining-your-ballot-not-in-the-next-federal-election

One idea I really like is "Re-Open Nominations". If RON wins the poll then nobody is elected and a fresh poll must be held.

Absolutely standard politics, that is. Pretty much all governing parties in all democracies do it to a greater or lesser extent (depending on how desperate they are). And yes, it works. That's why they keep doing it.

• Like 1

example if 10 people voted the following way;

3 voted Harper

7 wrote "none"

Harper would win with 3 votes. The other 7 wouldn't count except for a symbolic way in the voter's mind.

By writing "none" instead of voting for one of his opponents the 7 ensured Harper's win.

• Like 1

Guest s******ecan****

So we're off to the races.

A 3 month campaign, ugh as if we're not all sick enough of politics this will numb more than a few people into a stupor.

On the bright side a longer campaign gives you more time to examine the issues if so inclined.

Cynically I suspect the main reason for the long campaign is the CPC hopes to exploit its advantage in money. Hopefully people will see that for what it is.

All of this is rubbish.

Seriously, politics make me sick. I do like NDP and Liberals for my own personal choice and rather one of them to win than Harper.

I don't follow politics but does it really matter who wins for NDP or Liberals, as long as it's not Harper? For me, if it's someone new, than that is great, nothing wrong with someone new, we all start somewhere.