Federal Election 2015

Well, according to some end of the world Waccos, the world is ending on the 21-23 Sept; about a month before the elections.

Whoever Canadian Voters vote in will have a mess to clean up. Its not just from the CPC governments , its also from the past Liberal governments too. Its from the tearing down of previous agendas/laws/contracts etc. This has cost the people of Canada lots of money and has left Canada in a large national debt (Yes I know there are other reasons the debt is so high). What voters should be asking is where does the money come from and where does it go. Why are basics prices for food and shelter so high?

A lot of Canadians are depending on CPP/old age pension when they retire. That will get eaten up by old age homes/care facilities. Most of Canada's population is over 45 (demographics). Will there be CPP for people in their 20s/30s?

The future of Canada depends on its children, I don't have kids, but most of my land taxes go to support the local school board, the rest goes for various stuff like transit/streets etc. As an absolute, taxes will always go up! But the child care won't go through, because the government is broke. The current CPC government is trying to buy people off with their own money (as previously stated). The people of Canada are taxed enough.

Where will the next elected government get the money.

Robin Hood had a good ideal, take from the rich and help the poor and the middle class (if the middle class still exist in Canada)....

And there is the slightest of chances the Waccos will be right; maybe that's why the scientists were gagged!

Stalin had an official party line regarding science. His communist dogma frequently over ruled actual scientific data. "Lysenkoism" is a dogma named for one of his favourite scientists. It is also a synonym for fraudulent conclusions written to satisfy pilitical masters. Stalin's refusal to listen to real grain and soil experts caused millions to starve from massive crop failures. Instead he favoured Lysenko and his useless ideas on farming and breeding hardy grains.

Hitler also had "Aryan" science, especially his nonsensical race theory. Much valid scientific research from the 1920-onward era in Germany was discarded if done by Jewish researchers. This actually harmed the Nazi war effort in the development of radar and aviation because so many Jewish mathematicians and physicists fled in the thirties.

Harper follows a similar pattern. Actual scientific data that disagrees with Conservative Party dogma is muzzled or discredited. Scientists are not allowed to speak publicly on issues unless their statements are vetted in writing by the PMO. Scientists who speak out have their funding stopped. Coincidentally of course.

How does some Tory flunky in Harper's office know more about insects in the coastal rainforest than a PhD etymologist? How can a Tory bootlick know more about the effects of the tar sands on migratory birds than a career scientist? Harper dismisses climate change because he is owned by big oil, therefore climatologists and earth scientists are wrong too. All his positions that run contrary to real scientists are chosen for political reasons.

My comparison stands.

My comment about being over the top relates only to the fact that the use of comparisons of this type .... comparing democratically elected leaders to historically vindicated mass murders is done for shock effect.... yes like the people you mentioned Harper has undermined legitimate science for political reasons... but us Canadians had a pretty good idea of what we were getting when we gave him his last majority.

I all for attacking his policies... but the people who lived and died under Hitler and Stalin might suggest that Harper is a long way away from what they experienced.

Just my Opinion

• Like 1

I hope that's true, Scott, but I don't think the Cons have run out of tricks yet. Their campaign looks badly derailed but they have so much money at their disposal. And so few scruples....

It's great to see how this election campaign is rolling out badly for Harper but it is still way to much of a three party race for my liking....

Clicked on a CTV news story to watch a video.

The story had the warning "This video and story contain graphic content that may be distressing to some readers."

Then they showed a Tom Mulcair campaign video.

Oh, and there was a video about a bear.

(Just my early morning attempt at political humour.)

Guest *Ste***cque**
I hope that's true, Scott, but I don't think the Cons have run out of tricks yet. Their campaign looks badly derailed but they have so much money at their disposal. And so few scruples....

Enough with the Conservative bashing! You've never pissed in someone's cup before? Lying pieces of shit! :)

Enough with the Conservative bashing!

There can never be enough Conservative bashing. On the other hand, conservative-bashing is just tedious.

You've never pissed in someone's cup before?

C'mon, was that not just the most perfect metaphor for the Harper government?

HARPER: "Don't worry, we're the experts! Glad you called us in. Now just shoo, off you go to that other room. There's nothing to see here. I'll just use my superior worldview to take care of the nation's problems!"

VIDEO: Harper casually pisses in the nation's coffee cup.

• Like 2

Great thread...Im not much good at politics....my thought is from reading some of this post stating it's still too early and a three party race, are there any thoughts or speculation regarding a possible coalition government? Never say never but I wonder if there are any " back room " deals being discussed....

Again sorry but like I said politics has never been my fortay as it were....

Guest *Ste***cque**

You're all lying pieces of shit! :)

Oh well, you make a good point, MP. I can't deny it's a pretty good metaphor. LOL

Even my wife is threatening to divorce me if I vote for Harper's conservatives. :)

Guest s******ecan****
Great thread...Im not much good at politics....my thought is from reading some of this post stating it's still too early and a three party race, are there any thoughts or speculation regarding a possible coalition government? Never say never but I wonder if there are any " back room " deals being discussed....

Again sorry but like I said politics has never been my fortay as it were....

In all likelihood either the NDP or Liberals will win enough seats to form at least a minority. Whichever one of them that comes 2nd or 3rd would have no interest in forming a coalition with the Conservatives.

If the Conservatives somehow win a minority I think an NDP/Liberal coalition becomes possible only if the following two conditions exist after the election.

1) The Conservative win the most seats but by less than 10 seats.

and

2) The Conservatives win the most seats but get less than 33% of the Popular vote.

If both conditions occur, then I think there would be a lot of anger with the prospect of Harper remaining PM with 2/3 of the vote going to current opposition parties. As well with this scenario his control of Parliament would be very unstable with such a slim victory in terms of total seats.

In this scenario I believe there would be widespread support for a Liberal-NDP coalition government led by whichever leader (Trudeau or Mulcair) won the greater number of seats.

In the last two elections Harper was able to exploit the fear of the possibility of a coalition government to increase votes to the PC to gain a Majority.

This time he is being quiet about a coalition because such talk would likely lead voters to flock to either the Liberals or NDP and make a PC defeat more likely. Harper's only route to victory is for the Liberals and NDP to virtually tie and split the vote allowing PC candidates to run up the middle.

Enough with the Conservative bashing! You've never pissed in someone's cup before? Lying pieces of shit! :)

Clever reply! :)

If you live in a TORY riding that has a vulnerable candidate there are options.

http://www.votetogether.ca/riding/list/?filter=swing

The site is for strategic voting - ostensibly giving the candidate most likely to defeat the incumbent CPC member the combined votes of the NDP, Liberals and Greens (or BQ if applicable.)

I am sure that many people will still vote their true colours but it is an idea that may just work.

The premise? A riding has a CPC candidate with 37% support. The other parties combined have 63%... but none of them are approaching that 37% individually. For this example the Liberals have 30%, the Greens have 17% and the NDP 16%. The site would suggest that all the NDP and Green voters throw their support behind the Liberal candidate to defeat the CPC.

There are other sites as well... and most are dedicated to defeating the Tories in the next election.

• Like 3

My MP (a Pc) was whining about that site.

He says it is interfering with democracy and should be shut down.

On CBC yesterday another PC mentioned it.

He said it was interfering with democracy and should be shut down.

Them PC types are really into democracy and free thinking.

Preference for local candidates used to be a factor. Harper has eliminated that. His caucus are incapable of independent thought or action. Harper is the party and the party is Harper.

Too bad, my local MP is a PC but was really good. He was an advocate for constituents especially veterans. Now he just preaches the Harper dogma and no longer goes out meeting us. I do not know if he has become complacent or if he has been told to toe the party line. Either way he is virtually useless now. He is a decent guy but has lost his sense of mission. Time for him to go.

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

This thing is shaping up to be a close race. Latest poll shows 30% for each party.

My question is if either the NDP or the Liberals get the most seats among the 3 main parties but NOT the majority of voters, are they a representative government? Keep in mind many of the "intelligentsia" in Canada claim the Conservatives are not representative because of this very fact and mention it regularly. Somehow I suspect if the Lib's or NDP win, any Conservative complaining the new government isn't representative would be labelled sore losers by them. Hypocrisy?

Somehow I suspect if the Lib's or NDP win, any Conservative complaining the new government isn't representative would be labelled sore losers by them. Hypocrisy?

Hypocrisy, lying and deceit go hand in hand with politics I am afraid. That is a very sad statement to make but I think reflects today's reality - maybe a reality that has always been there.

All three of the major party leaders have been caught in outright lies and all commonly use misleading statements or pick and choose selective, "facts."

In relation to your representative government comment, there is no way that in our present climate any of the three parties that might win a minority government will be representative, but they will be the government under our present electoral system.

Bring on election reform please.

• Like 3

It is sad as a proud Canadian to see a government so desperate to keep power for powers sake that they are reduced to sewing seeds of fear and hatred as their means of doing so.

It's even sadder to see the newest polls showing that it is working.

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

Will the TPP give the Conservative Party the bump it needs to win this election? Without even getting into the merits of the TPP I was impressed with Trudeau's willingness to at least look at the thing. Tom Mulcair showed us how much he is in the back pocket of the unions with his comments about tearing up the deal BEFORE HE EVEN READS IT! His move towards the center was as I suspected, a ploy to gain votes.

I've always voted Conservative, especially when they were more progressive. I'm warming up to Trudeau though.

No need to worry too much about MooClair, his party has dropped significantly in recent Nanos poll, 23.1% right where he should be. Liberals at 35% and Conservatives at 31.5%

• Like 1

Polls of late do indeed seem to show the Conservative Party and the Liberal Party pulling away from the New Democratic Party in terms of decided voters. We do know however, especially based on some very recent provincial elections, that polls are not always definitive. The ultimate poll is the one that is taken on Election Day.

I have already reminded my children about their right and responsibility to vote and I have not tried to influence them specifically on what party to vote for, because I have not even made up my own mind at this point. Where I have influenced them, not that they needed it at all, is the danger of the Conservative Party and how they have changed the fabric of Canada on so many levels.

Based on current polling data, the Liberals and Conservatives are virtually tied at 32.3 and 32.5 % respectively, with the NDP at 25%. How this translates into seats however shows a Conservative minority victory with 126 seats, the Liberals with 118 and the NDP at 92. When people say that their vote does not matter because they live in a riding that is virtually a lock for one of the parties then I argue this.

Every vote counts under our parliamentary system. Should the seats distribution in fact come out with the existing projections then the Liberals and Conservatives have every legal and constitutional right to form a government and set the Conservatives aside. Every vote given to either of these parties further validates the claim that I hope they will make to the Governor General to be given that right.

In the last election the Conservatives formed a majority government with only 39% of the vote. Because of the seat distribution there was no chance of a coalition forming to replace them. It appears as if this may not be the case on October 18th, and every vote not cast for a Conservative member is another opportunity for them to be relegated to the back benches.

All I CAN ask is that each of us votes and encourage everyone you know to do the same.

• Like 1

And for those who for whatever reason can't vote on Election Day, which btw is Monday Oct 19, 2015 930am-930pm you can vote at an advance poll Oct 9,10,11,12 between noon-8pm

Other options to vote

Go to an Elections Canada Office by 6pm Tuesday Oct 13

or vote by mail...see http://elections.ca for information

I personally have plans this Friday afternoon, to exercise my right to vote

RG

• Like 3

Does anyone know of a website that shows the polls that are for specific ridings? My riding is incumbent NDP, however, want to know who is in the lead right now for my riding before I vote, to ensure the PC do not get in in my riding.

• Like 1