Atomic bombs, hydrogen bombs and my family

This is the time of year that commemorations are held for the atomic bomb drops on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

One of my uncles passed away a few years ago. It wasn't until I read his obituary that I found out the following.

"After receiving a Master's degree in 1943, he was immediately asked to join the Manhattan Project which was developing the atomic bomb during World War II. He studied at University before working at Oak Ridge, Tennessee during the remainder of the war. In 1946 after the war, he taught as an Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering. In 1950 he left the university to work at Los Alamos, New Mexico. There he was involved in the development of the first hydrogen bomb and its testing at Eniwetok in the Marshall Islands."

Huh... The things one finds. I never heard him mention anything related to this in the 60 years I knew him.

• Like 1

My father worked at Chalk River for much of my youth.

He took me there many times. I saw the reactors...all four of them. Walked around the tops of them and saw how the rods were inserted and removed.

Put my hand in the pool reactor once and got a smack! It was worth it to see the blue radiation at the bottom.

Had lunch at Crawley's.

That place was fantastic and it's all gone to hell now.

Nobody remembers it now, a golden era when Canada was at the forefront of nuclear research. Makes me want to cry.

• Like 3