work phone number and personal phone number

so, I'm going to get a new phone number for work, and want to have a separate personal number.

I don't want to get a landline for my personal phone. So I'm looking at other options for this. I also don't want a separate cell phone.

I see Vonage as an option. I'm also thinking of an app option but don't really know where to start.

I would need my personal phone to be able to call long distance, receive calls, voice mail etc.

Any suggestions?

This not a common option in Canada but doable. My son is in the middle east and uses a dual sim card phone, so that both numbers are supported on the same phone. I would go to the major carriers and ask them if they can recommend a phone compatible with their network even if you have to buy it from another source. The attraction for them is that they get to sell you two numbers.

• Like 1

I'm looking at magic jack. Anyone have experience with this? It looks like I can hook directly to my computer, as I don't have access to the router. Does this sound right?

Duel Sim card phones with two numbers sound to me like a great idea that I can't understand why phone companies are not pushing... I get that the phone manufacturers might prefer people purchasing two pieces of hardware but a dual sim phone should have a huge market for businesses and individuals who now have to carry two phones. It would work great for people working in this industry and for clients who participate in this lifestyle.

Just my Opinion

• Like 1

I don't really need the personal phone to be on my cell phone. It also appears I can call forward my personal phone to my cell phone number.

As I just changed phones recently, I'm not looking to buy a new cell phone. Just want a cheap home phone that isn't locked into my physical location (in case I move for example as I don't want to have reconnection fees).

I don't really need the personal phone to be on my cell phone. It also appears I can call forward my personal phone to my cell phone number.

As I just changed phones recently, I'm not looking to buy a new cell phone. Just want a cheap home phone that isn't locked into my physical location (in case I move for example as I don't want to have reconnection fees).

I certainly get that... for me I currently carry 2 blackberries one for work and one for personal use. While BlackBerry offers great options for keeping my work and personal Fata separate an option for a separate line would be an excellent improvement.

• Like 1

If you move, if you got a landline, the number would move with you, and you can start and stop it with very little notice. once you know you are moving in, for example would be your start date at the new location.

If you are getting internet & cable from Shaw, you choose the bundle that will give you a free phone. I had a bundle set up temporarily at a different location for a friend, & now that a free cable promotion is coming to an end & it is going to be canceled, i find out that for the past 5.5 months, this deal also came with a landline phone, & a number. the cost for that line on the bill was 15/month.

Telus also does a bundle similar to Shaw. I do not know how great a deal they do with the phones. If you already have internet and cable with either company, just call them up & say you want to bundle in a phone line and find out what they can do for you.

• Like 1

My Internet and cable are included in rent. I dont have physical access to the router, just WiFi. I don't know if this place is permanent so don't want to lock into a landline yet.

So, I know I can get a landline as well as Telus but don't want to go that route.

Just want a number my family can call me on. I can call them on my cell number so don't need a complicated system.

conquisitor, what do you mean magic jack changes number? I understand that if Internet is down, phone won't work. I just need something that I can give family so cross info of work phone doesn't occur. Some members are smarter then me with Google lol.

Somehow I thought this was simple...

• Like 1

An easier option for you would probably just be an APP. There are quite a few out there such as NextPlus and TextMe which allow you to have a separate phone number that you can text from as well as make and receive calls.

• Like 1

My Internet and cable are included in rent. I dont have physical access to the router, just WiFi. I don't know if this place is permanent so don't want to lock into a landline yet.

So, I know I can get a landline as well as Telus but don't want to go that route.

Just want a number my family can call me on. I can call them on my cell number so don't need a complicated system.

conquisitor, what do you mean magic jack changes number?

I'm talking about the app, it creates a new number each time you use it, so someone wouldn't be able to contact you, but you could them.

I know you mentioned not looking for a new phone, but moto g (3rd gen) has 2 sim card slots... This just came out and is around 200$ outright from the carriers... Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

...Just want a number my family can call me on. I can call them on my cell number so don't need a complicated system...

Then what you are saying is you want a second / different number for inbound calls? You can get that from les.net for $1.99/month and forward it to your cell phone for $0.015/minute. While their interface isn't the most friendly, I'm sure they would set that up for you if you ran into trouble, you can just email them and they would do whatever you needed. Other interesting things about this kind of service: The number can be in any city (as the $0.015 already covers the cost of North America wide long distance) and any SMS messages sent to it can be redirected to send an email.

I suppose some ladies might find it useful to have a local number in each city they visit as their clients might not want the long distance call on their billing and and of course they also offer toll-free numbers for $2.50/month and $0.04 minute; and no such thing as a blocked call to a toll free number, if it's your dime you get to see who is calling you. The calls can terminate anywhere, including being forward to your cell phone or of course many VoIP programs when connected to the Internet.

I know it may sound crazy to some but "Every paid LES.NET account receives a FREE 24 Channel DID!" so yeah, I have 24 SIP channels (basically phone lines) coming into my home to my own phone system (and conference bridge) for $1.99.month.

Now if I could only communicate my plans and requests for appointments to the lady using secure PGP encryption and thank her with Bitcoin :) Dream on BRM!

• Like 2