Coconut Oil as lube

Coconut oil is my favorite oil for massage. It stains and smells (unless you get it defragranced) but the texture is rich and provides a delightful micro stimulation to the proprioceptors. I also like to use it as lube: since I am allergic to latex I can use it if I use polyurethane condoms. Because of the delicate balance of the flora, glycerine and sugars are not recommended. It is often said that it traps bacteria that can cause infections. I have not experienced that but I regularly soak in Epsom Salts, which may have help avoid that issue. However, silicone gives me yeast infections... go figure! Although Aloe seems to get the thumbs up, I can't use it either as I am very allergic to it! As for the water-based lubes, they dry tacky so fast...

The best lube i found so far is the Preseed lube, with hyaluronic acid recommanded for couples trying to conceive. Cost an arm and a leg but feels amazing. Just try not to break the condom... ;-)

• Like 1

As a practitioner of many lovely things.... <grin> I find so many uses for coconut oil that it's 'almost' limitless... you can cook with/in it... use it to clean your mouth/teeth (not whiten, as some would say.. but it does 'pull' bacteria and tartar out of your teeth/gums).. a base for medicines/balms/salves... lipcare and a host of other things... but... as is what I can safely assume everyone's purrrrrsonal favorites in this thread...<grin>.. massage/perrrsonal lubricants ;)

Unlike many petrolium-based things (which are horrible for your body as it leaves a very long-lasting 'film' on body tissue and can cause more issues than they are worth)... coconut oil tends to absorbed into the skin.. 'feeding' it moisture/vitamins and much more.... **And for females who suffer from yeast issues (men can too, but predominantly females) coconut oil actually can 'help' take care of those things....as it literally KILLS candida cells....(so anyone currently dealing with candida overgrowth of any kind..... (and there's an easy test to do to see if you are.... it isn't just about females hehe)

it's also the *least* 'harmful' to condoms..toys and other fun things that can come into play during play ;)

I dug up a wonderful article that not only goes into the benefits of this amazing substance <grin> but others as well... from the point of view of using it for s3x/activity.......take a peek.. if you are so inclined ;)

http://dirtyorganics.com/personal-lubricants-guide-with-a-coconut-oil-focus/

There is so much information out there.. easily accessible.... and one should *always* arm themselves with as much as possible.... with the ease of finding out information.. whether through internet, a doctor... a practitioner of natural health modalities like myself.. or my favorrrite standby.. *actual* books <grin>.... it's silly to *not* ask/learn about things that can have an immediate effect on you ;)

Like the old adage says; 'the only 'dumb' question, is the one not asked' ;)

• Like 1

That article reads like an advertisement for coconut oil.

Oils are definitely damaging to latex and rubber, this includes coconut oil - it says it's being debated but by who?

Coconut oil is trendy - not magic.

That article was a great read!

<grin>.... I do what I can ;)

I have soooo much information on coconut oil and all it's incredible benefits.. (and a ridiculous wealth of information on all sorts off other 'fun-foodie-type things one can use/enjoy)....but this one was specific to s3x and playing, so hehe best suited for here I thought ;)

glad it was enjoyed and hopefully of some use :)

Additional Comments:

That article reads like an advertisement for coconut oil. Oils are definitely damaging to latex and rubber, this includes coconut oil - it says it's being debated but by who? Coconut oil is trendy - not magic.

<grin> The article comes off like that .. largely due to it's title.. making the reason rather obvious <grin> "with a coconut oil focus".... and being this thread is *about* coconut oil and s3x/play... well....<shrug>... ;)

and no, while certainly not magic.. but is almost inexhaustible in it's uses.. although, like anything else out there containing oil... it can be damaging to anything like condoms.. toys et al... and as usual, common sense (the ultimate oxy-moron hehe) should come into play...latex + *any* type of oil.. not the best combination or.. say.. you are allergic to coconut.. then.. perrrhaps not the best thing to consider.. ;)

I was actually referring to the Who (World Health Organization) article referenced in there. It can't hardly be deemed as marketing... Rather scientific. And interesting facts about water-based lubs that will make you wonder if you really want to use them...

• Like 1

Definitely not wise to use with or as an SP - oils degrade condoms... No point really in using them if their integrity is compromised...

• Like 1

Yes I've tried coconut oil as lube, it's a great substitute. It's not too greasy but give better lubrication. Just apply once and you're good. And it doesn't give that sticky feel.

• Like 2

Guest J**ck*9

Maybe so, but it could have an adverse effect on men as well. For massage, I believe it should be discussed between both the MA and client to confirm allergies or adverse effects, thus insuring a more pleasurable experience for both.

Yup, coconut oil is great for massage but will break down condoms- don't risk it!

I don't recommend using it even if condoms are not a factor- because coconut oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, it could well disrupt the healthy equilibrium of bacteria in a vagina, and there are no studies that have looked at this so we don't know for sure either way.

I'm brand-new to Lyla btw- first post. Hello everyone! :)

• Like 1

WD40 is also a terrific lubricant but I wouldn't use it between anyone's legs.

I suggest sticking with water-based lube for sex. If you ingest it it won't harm you unlike silicone-based lube.

Thanks, what a great tip. I did not know this.

Coconut oil is having good amount of antibacterial as well anti fungal properties which can be for topical treatment in order to get control on the bacterial infections ( non related STD infections) which occur in the vagina.

Also 3% half hydrogen peroxide and half water is good for vaginal cleaning as it gets rid of the bad bacteria that can be caused by overuse of douches and soaps while maintaining good bacteria.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2015 at 12:34 AM, Regent said:

If you use coconut oil as lube, use non-latex condoms, like the female/internal condom or polyisoprene condoms (Lifestyle Skyns, Durex Avanti Bare Real Feel).

If you're using latex, silicone lube is a nice "oilier" feeling lube that is latex-friendly.

On the SKYN website they say not to use oils and recommend water or silicone based lubricants... https://skynfeel.co.uk/pages/faq

Use products intended for sex, they were made for a reason

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 7:42 PM, Nicolette Vaughn said:

Coconut oil is having good amount of antibacterial as well anti fungal properties which can be for topical treatment in order to get control on the bacterial infections ( non related STD infections) which occur in the vagina.

Also 3% half hydrogen peroxide and half water is good for vaginal cleaning as it gets rid of the bad bacteria that can be caused by overuse of douches and soaps while maintaining good bacteria.

Hydrogen peroxide will burn, vaginas have discharge that helps it clean itself and you really need something to clean, use pH balancing vaginal wipes EXTERNALLY ONLY. 

I use coconut oil and lecithin for day to day natural lubrication without issue and I make my own water based lubes. One with distilled water, arrowroot, vit C and lecithin. The other with pure aloe vera gel, vit C and lecithin. I freeze them into small squeeze bottle and suppositories, then pop a suppository in after my shower before an playdate and keep a squeeze bottle in the playroom. I love coconut oil but it really shouldn't be used with latex at any time. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/14/2018 at 1:50 PM, EmilieSpade said:

Hydrogen peroxide will burn, vaginas have discharge that helps it clean itself and you really need something to clean, use pH balancing vaginal wipes EXTERNALLY ONLY. 

On 10/14/2018 at 1:50 PM, EmilieSpade said:

Hydrogen peroxide has to diluted with 1 cup water to be used internally.

I remember dealing with this only twice in my life, it does alleviate symptoms almost immediately and it does work.

While your may not feel comfortable with using hydrogen peroxide, it doesn’t mean that it is not safe to do so.

I have never EVER used feminine douching products or  with PH cleansing wipes, baby wipes or any other similar feminine commercial products related and try to avoid antibiotics unless its for bladder infection or strep throat. 

A study was done on participants who used this for bacterial vaginosis. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.thealternativedaily.com/should-you-put-hydrogen-peroxide-in-your-vagina/amp/

Anyways I don’t want to steer off topic...

Guest PetraPegasus

Amazing personal lube and oil, terrible for condoms and not the best for anal personally. Anal I prefer silicone based for myself. Coconut is great for vaginal if you need it.

I would personally avoid using it as it doesn't really work with condoms. But I do use coconut oil in my p***y after some days of work as it really helps with soothing and moisturing vagina. It smells nice too! 

A few years ago I knew a woman who use coconut oil for lube.  After one evening I noticed a bitter odor that I could not escape.  It was on me and it took washing a few times to get rid of it. I thought it was odd until the next time I saw her and smelled it again after we met. So it definitely leaves an odor.