So far my family and friends are safe. Emma, I hope that the person you know is safe too. I am horrified, sad, anxious. It seems to be only the beginning of the worst to come though, I am afraid.

• Like 2

Guest st*****ens**ors

Each time an attack of this sort happens it leaves me shocked and shaking, overwhelmed by the inadequacy of my sympathy. I grieve with those who have lost loved ones in the Paris attacks, but it feels like there isn't much I can do beyond that.

But there is. Compassion can spur us to kindness. Hug your kids. Call your mom. Donate to a food bank. Buy a meal for someone living on the street. Send an anonymous gift to someone you know is struggling. Help to sponsor a refugee family.

I have to believe that the cumulative brightness of millions of sparks of grace and kindness matter in the face of something so dark.

Wishing you all well this morning, and sending prayers to Paris.

Over 100 mostly young lives snuffed out, in acts of crazed fanaticism. We need reason and enlightenment in the face of religious zealotry of all kinds, but we also need a strong political response to acts of barbarism and efforts to restore medieval stupidities and worse.

• Like 3

Over 100 mostly young lives snuffed out, in acts of crazed fanaticism. We need reason and enlightenment in the face of religious zealotry of all kinds

It disgusts me the things that some can justify in the name of religion. I don't care which god you believe in, that ain't what he or she meant.