Social Media Mob!

Guest *Ste***cque**

Sorry, I can't help myself! ;)

I just heard of another social media "tempest in a teapot" where a PEI dealership posted a sign on his business billboard saying "Women are like snowflakes. They can't drive". Huh? He says he puts them up because he finds them funny. He followed it up with "Sensitive women, don't look at my sign". His current sign says something like "Sensitive men, don't look at tomorrows sign". Pretty harmless stuff, unless you tend to see most forms of humor from others as offensive. Anyway, this created a storm on social media after a women took a picture and posted it on her FB page. Many found it offensive and many found it silly or funny. There was the usual comments about "boycotts" and "firing", although he said his neighbors and customers find the signs enjoyable. He did say to the radio host that the bigger story should be the social media storm than what he puts on his sign!

What are your thoughts? Could social media lose it's power because of too many cries of "Wolf!"? Are people getting tired of the bandwagon piling on over every misstep and slight? I sure hope so! It would be nice to see reasoning vs endless vapid commentary.

I was a tad surprised there was no social media storm over Stephen Hawking recently calling women a mystery. What's that supposed to mean? Aren't men mysterious?? We all remember what happened to that other evil, misogynist scientist, Tim Hunt! Maybe the mob thought the optics with Hawking would look bad ...or maybe it just didn't get traction?

Well I can see people taking offence to his initial sign..... clearly he has never experienced a driving snowstorm - this is from Halifax, right? lol

I would have suggested he put up: Men are better drivers.... that's why their insurance rates are so low!

Everyday the outraged look for something to be outraged about. Even if everything is good in their lives, they feel free to be outraged on behalf of others.

Outrage is the new black.

Peace

MG

• Like 1

Well without a doubt social media will often take something relatively minor and b*low it out of proportion but you know I have to think that just because some over eager social media types feel they are changing the world by tweeting or liking something and they go overboard that it does not excuse people who do stupid things in today's electronic world... if you f*uck up then the words and pictures are available to everyone so if your in business and you put up a stupid sign you only have yourself to blame.

Just my Opinion

Guest *Ste***cque**
Well without a doubt social media will often take something relatively minor and blow it out of proportion but you know I have to think that just because some over eager social media types feel they are changing the world by tweeting or liking something and the go overboard that it does not excuse people who do stupid things in today's electronic world... if you f*uck up no the words and pictures are available to everyone so if your in business and you put up a stupid sign you only have yourself to blame.

Just my Opinion

The mob is never to blame? It's always the persons fault who said the thing the mob disagreed with? They always deserve what they get?

To refer to my earlier thread on religion, would you suggest that the dude who rode a donkey into Jerusalem and said some uncomfortable things to the people there deserved the mobs condemnation? He was just expressing himself, after all.

The mob is never to blame? It's always the persons fault who said the thing the mob disagreed with? They always deserve what they get?

To refer to my earlier thread on religion, would you suggest that the dude who rode a donkey into Jerusalem and said some uncomfortable things to the people there deserved the mobs condemnation? He was just expressing himself, after all.

Really.... you want to use the example of Jesus in the Temple a "story" from the bible to make your point.... I have a feeling you are working way to hard to make an issue where none exists.

You expressed your opinion on social media mobs so are we all supposed to just agree or just not comment?

In response to OP;

Naw. People have always loved to gossip, and judge, and tear other people down. Social Media allows them to do it quicker, meaner, and more anonymously than before, but it also means the focus moves on to the next target quicker. So I don't really see this ever losing its steam. It's the same as everything else: technology finding a new way to satisfy an old desire.

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**
Really.... you want to use the example of Jesus in the Temple a "story" from the bible to make your point.... I have a feeling you are working way to hard to make an issue where none exists.

You expressed your opinion on social media mobs so are we all supposed to just agree or just not comment?

I'm seeking debate and OK, maybe I went a tad overboard? I'll try and reign in my analogies in the future.

Anywhere a mob congregates, unintended(usually excessively severe) consequences arise. I don't think the mob should get a free pass when that happens. These are typically missteps or awkward attempts at humor, not intentional hate crimes. Stop crying "Wolf!". (not speaking to you directly, Ice man)

I agree with what loopie says. Mouse's and keyboards have replaced pitchforks, but not much else has changed when it comes to our desire to attack "others" before obtaining any real facts. Resistance seems futile when faced with the PC Borg!

It can't be a surprise, though, that when a guy posts a sign at his business that says in essence "all women are idiots," people take offense.

Happily the market is speaking, and a female owner of a Toronto garage has put up a better sign: "My Canada includes respect for women." Let's see how things shake out now.

It's a great counterstroke; and I suspect the public's attention helped prompt it, showing that the social media response to a public insult can actually achieve a constructive end.

I don't know why the original guy thought it was a smart move to put up a sign calling women idiots. And though he said he put it up because he thought it was funny... maybe he should think very carefully about why he thought that.

EDIT: Damn! I misread the article the first time and thought it was a nearby competitor. Oh, well.

• Like 2

I wished to complete my comment by suggesting that the respective husband, father, boyfriend could find my comment funny - it did cut both ways!

It was a joke much like the Ricky Gervais joke about Kaitlyn Jenner on the Golden Globes. And frankly I thought both were pretty funny. Folks are on the hunt for anything to be outraged about and then rise up and show their born again liberalism. Food racism is now becoming a thing and cultural appropriation reared it's head with yoga being targeted by U of Ottawa students. All in all too funny. Maybe folks should relax and let the odd thing slide, I think overall they'd be happier.

Peace

MG

• Like 1