The Donald

Unless Cruz gets in somehow... then I would be worried. Very worried! Evangelicals scare me more than Trump supporters!

I completely agree about Cruz. I religious and constitutional zealot would be very very scary. As for Trump, I do assume that he must be intelligent????? If so, he will know what he does not know and hopefully get good advisers. I still cannot see him being elected in a general election.

• Like 1

Despite his public posturing, I think that Ted Cruz has only ever acknowledged one god in his entire life, and that god is Ted Cruz. And to the same degree that he loves himself, he loathes all other human beings. I think he'd do far, far more harm in office than Donald Trump ever could.

Donald Trump strikes me as smarter than his current public persona, but not as much smarter as he thinks. His success comes from waving the angry flag of all those who bitterly resent that they once held the cultural center stage, but now find themselves marginalized by new demographics and the erosion of the unearned privilege they took for granted. But the support of a bitter and resentful minority isn't enough to win a general election.

Hillary Clinton is too scheming and calculating a candidate for me to get excited about, but she's the best of a bad lot, by a long stretch. Sanders would have been interesting (though I had some reservations), but I think that ship has now sailed.

All in all, I'm glad I'm Canadian.

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**

Trump now leading in Indiana primary by 15 points. I think he has this.

I read an article in Saturdays' Globe that suggest racial nationalism is what is driving his popularity, which is what Mightypen alluded to. Close to 70% of Trump supporters blame "outsiders" for their troubles while less than half of democrats hold similar views.

And... Cruz is gone. And I'm not at all convinced that Hillary is good enough at reality TV to beat Trump.

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**

And now Kasich is dropping out? Who could have predicted Trump would be the Republican nominee for US President?

Someone should keep an eye on JessyCeleste, just in case. LOL

If Trump were to win the election, it would be the first time a billionare would move into public funded housing that a black family just moved out of.

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

Trump should start a reality TV show "Who wants to be my VP?". He could assign difficult tasks to each potential candidate. Each week one loser gets kicked off the show with Trump saying "You, sir, will NOT make America great again!". The last one standing gets to be his veep.

Send it to Fox. I bet they'd be interested.

You think I'm joking?

Guest st*****ens**ors

...and the USA's best joke of 2016 just reached its punchline, and it is deeply unfunny.

The very best thing about Trump securing the Republican nomination is that he has assured the election of Hillary Clinton. Look at the recent Republican defectors who will vote for Clinton

• Like 1

The very best thing about Trump securing the Republican nomination is that he has assured the election of Hillary Clinton. Look at the recent Republican defectors who will vote for Clinton

Yes. From here it looks that way. It's going to be a long campaign however and he has barely even started his sh*t slinging at Hillary. The unfortunate thing is that Americans seem to listen to his bs. There are no sure things yet.

Trump should start a reality TV show "Who wants to be my VP?". He could assign difficult tasks to each potential candidate. Each week one loser gets kicked off the show with Trump saying "You, sir, will NOT make America great again!". The last one standing gets to be his veep.

Send it to Fox. I bet they'd be interested.

You think I'm joking?

Sadly, that would actually work. It would not only be a hit show, it would hand him the election. He would have the ego to do it too.

• Like 1

Well as I have said before, "It might be funny, but it ain't no joke."

Trump now has the nomination and if I were a Democrat I would be advising to take him seriously. The prevailing anti-establishment attitude is a power that is growing and it's happening between Clinton and Sanders now.

I think Canada may have to get ready for a wave of US immigration after we look at his list of nominees for the Supreme Court vacancy. I can hardly believe that in this day and time there are powerful judges who are ready to make abortion illegal and classify the LGBT community is the same light as pedophiles. That's what a Trump will bring.

There is still a long time until election day so it will be interesting to see if Trump's supporters will stay with him as he moves more in line with establishment policies and backs off on some of his proposed policies.

For me, Hillary is the lesser of two evils.

• Like 1

In an attempt to save the Americans from themselves possibly we should establish that we'll only accept as may American refugees as The Donald accepts Mexican and Muslim immigrants....

Many Muslims from our Ottawa mosques have been very active raising money/support for the Fort McMurray refugees.

• Like 2

Guest *Ste***cque**

Trump is now at 1238 delegates, one more than required to clinch the Republican nomination.

What's possibly scarier is Hilary carries a lot of baggage into this fight (Wall Street, establishment, email server criticism, Benghazi attack, a splintered party, female...) and I'm sure Trump will use that and more in the months to come. The trouble with Hilary is she may be too nice to fight in the trenches and get dirty, not to mention, nothing seems to stick to "Teflon Don".

I hope I'm wrong but Trump could be the next POTUS.

O.M.G.

Thank God I do not live in the states...my heart goes out to everyone that will be poorly effected by Trump..he is very rude and racist and in my opinion does not deserve that title

I do not understand those people who think he does

Sad

• Like 1

Steve could very well be right and Donald Trump is poised to be voted in as next President of the United States. It's pretty scary and at the same time I understand why it could happen.

If I were one of the millions unemployed as my job was sent to Mexico or Japan or China he'd have my vote, even though he has not said how he will get the jobs back. If I were a family member of a military person he would have my vote because he is right that the US has committed troops to regions with both hands tied behind their back. If you're going to do it, do it.

In reality I see him bringing the US to an isolationist position. If that happened the world would indeed be sorry.

Hillary is her own worst enemy and her lack of trust and her ties to Wall Street and the establishment could be the end of her. Since day one I have felt that the whole election phenomenon this year has been based on the fact that people are tired of being led and lied to by big business. Trump and Sanders both represent that feeling.

I am still hoping that Hillary gets charged by the FBI and has to drop out opening the path for Bernie. In this election year anything is possible.

• Like 1

If Donald Trump becomes the next U.S. President, please beam me into outer space! There will be no reason to want to be on this planet any longer. He will soon demolish it in some way or another. Damn narcissist!

• Like 1

I hope I'm wrong but Trump could be the next POTUS.

I think he will be, horrible though the idea may be.

Hillary is a fundamentally unlovable machine politician, and Trump understands the mindset of many voters. His experience of reality TV is far more useful and relevant than Hillary's experience of politics in this regard. I think he'll manage to take her down.

• Like 1

Guest Miss Jane TG
Trump. He is moving steadily towards winning the Republican nomination. Any idea why he is so popular? Does he have any appeal to you?

Trump is popular because (backed with a financial legacy) he speaks his mind, in the right dominion, at the right time. And he is a genius to select the 'right time'!

Anyone who is thinking of a Trump vote should be observing the UK. Turrns out the leavers are a bit like the dog chasing a car . Now that they caught it what to do. And can you believe it? The campaign leaders lied to us ! Trumpets will find the same thing.

• Like 1

I hate being so close to the states during election time, lol. Like living next to an unstable neighbor, and wondering if *today* will be the day he decides to turn the lawn mower on and drive it through his living room.

• Like 1

Here it is just the beginning of August and the election is not held until near the end of November, but at this moment it appears that The Donald has finally gone too far. He has had a dreadful two weeks, all of his own making, and at the moment both the national polls and the state polls have him trailing badly. As much as I detest Hillary and the status quo, she is the lesser of two evils I think, and perhaps the general American population is coming to the same conclusion?

The way that this debate has gone so far it shows the racial divisions and as well the extreme right wing strength in America.

Now when Russia releases more of those emails.......