Someone we know? Charges laid

Guest W***ledi*Time

Steve Bruce reports for the Chronicle-Herald, 7 May 2011:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/9020775.html

A Truro woman arrested in a vice raid on a Halifax hotel room last November has been fined $1,000 for keeping a common bawdy house.

Marissa Marie MacDonald, 20, of Willow Lane pleaded guilty to the charge Thursday in Halifax provincial court.

Judge Bill Digby also placed her on probation for a year, with conditions that she stay away from the Citadel Halifax Hotel on Brunswick Street and take part in any counselling deemed necessary by her probation officer.

Officers with the Halifax Regional Police-RCMP integrated vice unit, acting on a tip from a member of the public, swooped down on a room at the hotel in the early morning hours of Nov. 4.

A man and a girl who were also in the room were charged with being in a bawdy house without lawful excuse.

Kane Russell Gabriel, 20, of Rosedale Drive in Dartmouth is due back in court Wednesday on his charge. A 16-year-old girl from Truro who can't be named is being dealt with in Halifax youth court.

Keeping a bawdy house is an indictable offence punishable by up to two years in prison. Being in a bawdy house is a summary matter, with a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

I wonder if the raid itself was an isolated incident, or if hobbyists have reason to become more wary about visiting ladies in downtown hotels, as so many of us do. Food for thought...

Guest W***ledi*Time
I wonder if the raid itself was an isolated incident, or if hobbyists have reason to become more wary about visiting ladies in downtown hotels, as so many of us do. Food for thought...

It may be worth observing that both of these cases involved underage girls.

Being in a bawdy house is a summary matter, with a maximum penalty of six months in jail and a $5,000 fine.

My God. I never thought the penalty for being in a bawdy house is so heavy!!!!. This explains why I am an outcall only hobbyist in spite of significant extra cost associated with outcall.

It is almost as bad as Nordic system except that the Nordic model extends to outcalls too. A bad model if it is consensual.

It may be worth observing that both of these cases involved underage girls.

I missed that... I just noticed the age of the lady charged, which is 20. However, given that fact, the raid makes perfect sense.

Seeing as I live in the area and am growing more-and-more aware of the local scene, I want to advise folks that this is the second time that the Citadel has been the scene of such an "instance" WITHIN THE LAST YEAR. They received significant bad press over the last incident. The Citadel here is known as a well located, safe, and low key hotel long favoured by location consciousness business types.

My gut says that management was embarassed the first time round and is out to prevent similar bad press in the future and therefore kept/keeps an look out for this kind of activity. BTW, the Halifax Police Headquaters is literally directly behind the hotel.

Musings from a guy with a little local knowlege....

Dan Arsenault reports for the Chronicle-Herald, 4 Nov 2010:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9018568.html

Halifax police charged a man, woman and an underage female with prostitution-related offences early Thursday morning.

A 20-year-old Truro woman was charged with keeping a common bawdy house after the Halifax Regional Police/RCMP integrated vice unit searched a residence in the 1900 block of Brunswick Street at 1:44 a.m.

Two others * a 20-year-old male from Dartmouth and a 16-year-old female from Truro * face a charge of being an inmate of a common bawdy house.

All three have been ordered to appear in court at a later date. They have been released, but are not allowed to return to the building, according to regional police spokesman Const. Brian Palmeter.

*In effect we*ve shut it down,* he said, adding that police searched the residence after taking a call from the public Wednesday afternoon.

*It was basically a public complaint about suspicious or potentially illegal activity taking place.*

He said none of the three are related and police did not contact the Department of Community Services about the 16-year-old.

When asked what the charge of being an inmate of a bawdy house means, he said, *It is an offence to be a resident or a regular occupant of a common bawdy house. It doesn*t necessarily mean they were engaged in it (prostitution). They had to have known this criminal behaviour was taking place.*

In late September, the Ontario Superior Court struck down Canada*s prostitution laws in a ruling that said they were unconstitutional and put sex-trade workers in danger.

The federal and Ontario governments, however, have said they will appeal that decision. Other provinces have said they would continue to enforce the existing laws for the time being. Vancouver police laid bawdy house charges a little more than a week after the Ontario decision.

Palmeter said their position hasn*t changed.

*We*re going to continue on conducting business as usual.*

Rene Ross, executive director of the local sex-worker support group Stepping Stone, said the existing laws force sex workers to work on the streets, although they*d feel safer working indoors. She*s been a vocal opponent of Canada*s prostitution laws for some time and recently spoke out on that issue after the highly publicized killing of one Halifax sex worker and attacks against two others.

She*s very concerned that police laid charges against the 16-year-old, who is too young to be a Stepping Stone client.

For starters, she said the inmate charge is very vague.

*The law is so scattered that we don*t know what this means.*

Ross said the 16-year-old might have been engaged in sexual activity or might have simply been in the residence. Either way, that girl has now been thrown into the justice system, Ross said.

*That is going to do absolutely nothing to support these youth that are being exposed to this very dangerous trade. It*s just going to put that youth in more danger.*

It was one of the apartment buildings there.

Think it was 1991

Guest W***ledi*Time
It was one of the apartment buildings there.

Think it was 1991

Both CTV News and The Chronicle-Herald reported that it was a room at the Citadel Halifax Hotel. CTV News aired an interview with the hotel manager about it.

To be honest, if you conduct business as a revolving door in a hotel, condo, or and dwelling that you wish to offer an incall from, you will draw attention to yourself and eventually get a visit from that cities finest.

Why should anyone worry about visiting a low volume, up-scale lady at a hotel? If this is a worry, maybe the wrong company is being kept. Obviously the woman in question in the news, was green, and had no clue how to be discreet and let alone not operate as a factory. Sometimes it takes an eye opening experience such as this to open ones eyes (as sad as it is)

• Like 3

Why should anyone worry about visiting a low volume, up-scale lady at a hotel?

I agree with you, Emily. The reason I ask is that one time, I was early for my incall appointment at an upscale hotel in downtown Halifax. I decided to browse through the shop in the lobby, then sit down on the couch and read the paper. I thought nothing of it, but one of the employees may have thought something was amiss, and asked me if I needed any assistance, or if I was part of the bus tour etc.. The other negative I find is arriving at a hotel to see a lady, and then having to wander around a bit to find the elevators if they are not in clear view. It may give the impression to hotel staff that one does not belong, and raise suspicions. I know I'm probably over reacting here, yet the thought has crossed my mind a few times.

Whenever I do an out call to avoid looking lost I make sure I am familiar with where the elevators are etc.

I have called hotels pretending to make inquiries to stay. You can always ask a few questons and find out where the elevators are in proximity to the desk, lounges and shops.

Once you have all your information just walk in like any guest and proceed with absolute confidence.

• Like 1

To be honest, if you conduct business as a revolving door in a hotel, condo, or and dwelling that you wish to offer an incall from, you will draw attention to yourself and eventually get a visit from that cities finest.

Why should anyone worry about visiting a low volume, up-scale lady at a hotel? If this is a worry, maybe the wrong company is being kept. Obviously the woman in question in the news, was green, and had no clue how to be discreet and let alone not operate as a factory. Sometimes it takes an eye opening experience such as this to open ones eyes (as sad as it is)

I do have to agree. You need work life balance and if your door is always revolving expect a visit from the boys in blue and everything you do and that may happen because of being green or lack of discretion you must learn and grow from.

Additional Comments:

Whenever I do an out call to avoid looking lost I make sure I am familiar with where the elevators are etc.

I have called hotels pretending to make inquiries to stay. You can always ask a few questons and find out where the elevators are in proximity to the desk, lounges and shops.

Once you have all your information just walk in like any guest and proceed with absolute confidence.

I only offer out service now and Cathy I do basically the same thing I also ask the person I am seeing, if I am not too farmiliar with the location. You need to present yourself as if you belong and are a guest in a hotel setting. I would never walk in like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman". ( Don't get me wrong and that is no insult to Julia, I love her and the roles she plays). If requested I will bring that type of attire and change quickly.

I agree with you, Emily. The reason I ask is that one time, I was early for my incall appointment at an upscale hotel in downtown Halifax. I decided to browse through the shop in the lobby, then sit down on the couch and read the paper. I thought nothing of it, but one of the employees may have thought something was amiss, and asked me if I needed any assistance, or if I was part of the bus tour etc.. The other negative I find is arriving at a hotel to see a lady, and then having to wander around a bit to find the elevators if they are not in clear view. It may give the impression to hotel staff that one does not belong, and raise suspicions. I know I'm probably over reacting here, yet the thought has crossed my mind a few times.

The one time I had an incall to a hotel I just waited in my truck till five minutes before the appointment, went in, got to the elevator and saw the lady. I personally think sitting on a couch in eyeshot of the check in desk is a recipe for a problem happening

As for going to the room, or checking into a room, hotel staff see hundreds of people a day, your just one in a hundred. Act normal, when you draw attention to yourself is when staff get involved. Remember, hotels wouldn't be in business if they didn't have customers getting rooms

RG

Guest W***ledi*Time

Steve Bruce reports for the Chronicle-Herald, 4 Jan 2011:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/48735-man-stand-trial-single-prostitution-related-charge

A Dartmouth man accused of pimping a teenage girl in 2010 has been ordered to stand trial in Nova Scotia Supreme Court on a charge of living off the avails of prostitution.

But five other counts against Darrell Robert William Fisher, 24, of Mason Street were dismissed after a preliminary inquiry Wednesday in Halifax provincial court.

Judge Bill Digby ruled that there was insufficient evidence to commit Fisher to stand trial on charges of compelling a person to engage in prostitution, using violence to live off the avails of a person under the age of 18, keeping a common bawdy house, assault and uttering threats.

Digby ordered Fisher to appear at the Halifax Law Courts on Jan. 12 to begin the process of setting dates for his trial by a judge alone.

The Crown contends that Fisher lived off the avails of a 17-year-old ... between June 1 and Dec. 10, 2010.

The indictable offence carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

Fisher was arrested when he turned himself in to police on Dec. 14, 2010, three days after vice officers executed a search warrant at an apartment on North Street in Halifax.

The young woman, now 18, and the lead police investigator were called to testify at Wednesday's inquiry. The evidence they gave is banned from publication.

Fisher remains free on $5,000 bail with conditions of house arrest. He can't have contact with the alleged victim and four other people, whose names are all protected by a court order.

I'm glad to see that he is finally going to court, but dissapointed that he will only be facing one charge.

How it can be that there was not enough evidence on the other charges to prosecute?

How it can be that there was not enough evidence on the other charges to prosecute?

Basically you need the lady to testify and if she LOVES the guy or is SCARED of the guy she will often refuse to testify. That is why it is very hard to convict pimps. I suspect that is the case here.

Thanks for the insider information. Hope they still convict the pimp on that single charge though.

Additional Comments:

These pimps can't run a proper agency! Can any local Haligonians tell us about the area of 2000-block Robie street? I have a feeling there's going to be a flood of agency competition in the next decade with the billion dollar shipyard contracts in Halifax.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2012/02/17/ns-charges-brothel.html

POST REMOVED BY THE MOD - FOR OBVIOUS REASONS

Point of fact; it is not cool or acceptable to post a ladies real name! Regardless of innocence or guilt in this matter no one should ever post a ladies, or guys, real name...discretion is of the utmost importance. Please refrain from posting real names, hearsay or other factually questionable information!

I suspect Mod will be contacting you in short order to better explain the rules here on Cerb. That said I hope that he allows your post to remain (after removing the names of course) as an example of what a persons first post SHOULD NOT LOOK LIKE!

One last thing, when I quoted your post I replaced the names of the girls with X's...something I wish you had of done in the first place.

Edited by stevecurious
  • Like 7

300 clients a month?? Is that even possible? Poor girl, I can't imagine seeing 300 clients in an entire year. Just another reason why there should be legal registered agencies that pay taxes. (Like in B.C for example) If girls wern't scared of the police, there would be alot less pimps and underage kids in this business and alot more legal, professional ladies. Just my 2 pennies.

• Like 1

Guest W***ledi*Time

The Chronicle-Herald reports, 16 Mar 2012:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/74211-across-nova-scotia

A Dartmouth man will stand trial in Nova Scotia Supreme Court next fall on a charge of living off the avails of prostitution.

Darrell Robert William Fisher, 24, is accused of pimping a 17-year-old girl between June 1, 2010, and Dec. 10, 2010.

Fisher appeared in Supreme Court in Halifax with lawyer Eugene Tan on Thursday.
Justice Peter Rosinski scheduled the judge-alone trial for Sept. 25 and 26.

The indictable offence carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison....

Fisher remains free on $5,000 bail.