Favorite Christmas/Holiday Movies

There was a great thread in October for Favorite Spooky Movies which I really appreciated, so I thought Id start one for Favorite Christmas and Holiday Movies.

I'll get it started *clears throat*

A Christmas Story

Guest st*****ens**ors

Love Actually.

And the Christmas Carol with Alistair Sims as Scrooge.

Guest n*gu**6

Yes, the original 'A Christmas Carol' with Allistair Sim, the B/W version, not colorized.

And thanks to my son, The Polar Express is now a Christmas Tradition

Guest Prufrock Cummings

Black Christmas

(love a little horror with the holidays)

As Kilt Boy mentioned, Die Hard is an unsung hero in the annals of classic Christmas movies. I also particularly enjoy The Nightmare Before Christmas (doubles as a great Halloween movie!) and my personal fave for the holidays,

!
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone who's contributed so far. I'm highly enjoying hearing how others enjoy the same movies I do and getting ideas on ones I should check out! So thanks and keep it coming!

RogueBMW: Yes!!! The Santa Claus is on my favorites list for sure!

Castle: Nightmare Before xmas is def also on that faves list and yes I watch it for Halloween too!

stillopendoors: The original A Christmas Carol HELL YES!

nsguy76: Although I do enjoy the version where they added colour as well. I'll take it any way it comes. Although impo, I find the coloured version easier on my eyes and I can also make out more of the details such as facial expression. But hey to each their own. :-)

Speaking of good ole scrooge you will find some of that in the ones Id like to add (and I will keep adding).

Scrooged (80s I believe, with Bill Murray as the millionaire jerk)

Bad Santa (I adore dark humor!) Badder Santa is even better, its the same movie, they just added some great scenes that were removed from the original screen version

No list would be complete without How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the original cartoon, not Jim Carrey in a suit that scares the crap out of most kids and makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Id also like to add the incredible One Magic Christmas which I would highly recommend to anyone but esp to those who may be feeling down this year. Just a beautiful story.

There's more but I still want others to have a chance. Oh and there's nothing wrong with repetition. I think 'seconding' a movie, helps those who are considering watching it, all the more reason to check it out. :-)

• Like 1

Hands down for me A Christmas Story, Miracle on 34th st.

The original Christmas Carroll and It's a Wonderful Life, Elf and Rudolf.

The last I have to watch every year is the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

• Like 5

There are always the old standbys like:

It's a Wonderful Life

Miracle on 34th Street

Christmas Carol (with Alastair Sims)

Grinch (agree with Jesse - the animated version)

Newer personal fave (which I'm not alone) - Christmas Vacation

But after many Christmas's I've started looking for lesser known or not strictly Christmas films:

The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant) Still popular but not overplayed

Holiday Affair (Robert Mitchum - late 1940's)

The Thin Man (1934) a comedic murder mystery set during the Christmas holidays - a wonderful film to see and again not overplayed

• Like 2

The Ref, with Dennis Leary, Judy Davis, and Kevin Spacey.

I used to get together with an old girlfriend and her father every year and watch Casablanca. Not really a Christmas movie, just a memorable movie moment around the holidays.

• Like 1

Guest Prufrock Cummings
Thanks again to all who have posted! Keep it coming! If looking for lesser known movies, check out Santa Goes To Jail its a Christmas comedy.

One lesser known movie (and I must apologize for my horror slant) is a Santa horror/fantasy movie from Finland called Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale.

White Christmas - Good song and dance movie with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye (and it was the first movie filmed in VistaVision so the colours are vivid)

• Like 2

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

This being Christmas Day, two movies came to mind that are in my all time favorite list, that I cant believe I forgot to list here!!!!

ELF is an eye-wateringly hilarious Christmas comedy .

And one simply called Santa Claus.

• Like 2

We watched Elf last night and are starting the Harry Potter series tonight. The first few have a bit of a Christmassy feel.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yarg! Be prepared for The Curse of the Third. Not a movie title, but a curse discussed in another thread about horrible movies. There seems to be a curse with the third in most movie series and we named a few. The worse of these in my opinion are Halloween III and Harry Potter III Prisoner of Askahban for similar reasons. Halloween III has absolutely nothing to do with Michael Meyers and the entire series and HP III has almost nothing to do with the book. I mean, you sorta get the gist of it..kinda.. but it replaced a lot of crucial points with idiotic slap-stick, predictable comedy. As a result the following movies had to also be dumbed down because if they followed the deeper parts of the story, youd be lost. In both cases, and several others, you will see a gap between 3 and 4 in my movie collections. But of course in some instances the 3rd ends up being my favorite, like Final Destination... ooh I should add that to the horror thread lol.

Ok I took us off track so let me try to bring us back....

um....

hmmm..

What abou.. no.... that's actually a thanksgiving turkey dinner they're eating... errr... uh-oh

Well, perhaps I am cheating out of desperation but I have heard a lot of people love Meet Me In Saint Louis, I've never seen it myself though.

Additional Comments:

Ooooh I got one now A Garfield Christmas Special and Muppets' Christmas of course!!!

• Like 1

And speaking of Judy Garland (Meet Me in St. Louis), I just discovered her in another terrific Christmas movie this past year, In the Good Old Summertime. Doesn't sound Christmassy, but it is! Garland introduced the song "Merry Christmas" (not to be confused with "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", which she introduced in Meet Me in St. Louis!!). Buster Keaton is another reason to watch this gem.

• Like 1

Happy Holidays 2020!

I guess I should've bumped this thread a month ago but forgot.

I read my OP and can't believe I didn't have How The Grinch Stole Xmas or The Nightmare Before Xmas! What the hell? Although I mentioned the former in a later post and another member named the latter, I'm still appalled at myself! For SHAME!!!

Yellow is too difficult to read

I also seem to have forgotten A Charlie Brown Xmas which I watched this year, after skipping it for a few. I was surprised at how very religious it was. I hadn't noticed it before. Not saying whether its good or bad, its just interesting that I hadn't retained that. 

I also failed to mention that there's more than one Muppets Xmas movies so...

A Muppet Family Xmas 1987

A Very Merry Muppet Xmas

The Muppet's A Xmas Carol 1992

The many Christmas specials brought to us by classic Disney characters

Its too hard to read yellow

Did I mention Bill Murrey's Scrooged

I'm hoping to read other Christmas movies you recommend. Tradition is fun (I have a must-watch every Xmas list) but I also enjoy watching new ones.

Oh I also discovered one I had watched once as a kid and forgot all about until this year. Frosty The Snowman

One last one Id like to mention that like Die Hard, isnt really a Xmas movie per se but definitely has some theme in there is the original animated The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe

Hope u guys all enjoy the rest of the holiday. I'm going to watch Its A Wonderful Life for the first time this NYE