In the sex work industry, I find a lot of places like agencies, strip clubs etc, 100% DO have a cap on black women and it's honestly disgusting. These owners convince themselves black girls won't make money, so they won't put any on, and then use THAT (not letting black girls work)as "proof" that black girls don't make money. I think it's grossly unfair and I hope more businesses open up that realise they're only really hurting themselves by putting a cap on the black girls they hire!

It's just like that odd "no blacks" rule some girls have on clients... I have never seen, EVER, "no whites", but "no blacks" is plastered all over BP?

Both these situations are just examples of the open racism in the industry and I'm really sorry you had to experience that :(.

• Like 5

In the sex work industry, I find a lot of places like agencies, strip clubs etc, 100% DO have a cap on black women and it's honestly disgusting. These owners convince themselves black girls won't make money, so they won't put any on, and then use THAT (not letting black girls work)as "proof" that black girls don't make money. I think it's grossly unfair and I hope more businesses open up that realise they're only really hurting themselves by putting a cap on the black girls they hire!

It's just like that odd "no blacks" rule some girls have on clients... I have never seen, EVER, "no whites", but "no blacks" is plastered all over BP?

Both these situations are just examples of the open racism in the industry and I'm really sorry you had to experience that :(.

In the 80's their was an agency that existed if you weren't black you didn't get hired.

From a personal standpoint, I don't care what colour of skin a woman has, I care about our personal chemistry. And the dancer I've known the longest happens to be coloured.

I have heard of this rule, and it is 100% racist from all angles. Customers and staff included.

Customers might avoid taking a coloured dancer to the back, which in turn affects the amount of money the bar can make. So the staff impose this limit.

It's not really about gangers and rap - there are just as many girls of other colours that dance to rap and also have pimps or deadbeat boyfriends. This is a well known reality of the industry

• Like 1

I was shocked to hear about this rule years ago from a black dancer that I really liked. Still can't get my head around that. Always been fascinated with dark skinned women, just a thing I have. I happened to confess my affliction to a "white" dancer that I used to see regularly and she suggested that I must have an affinity for white chocolate as well. That cracked me up!

• Like 1

Yes my comment was expresses awkwardly

On a more positive note , why not taking advantage of that terrible rule for yoyrself? Establish a schedule where YOU are always in to build your regulars , so you re not left out having to ask to work . A girl that shows up on time on schedule and shows she is serious will have more privileges, use it !

I would be rich if there was a "white girl cap" thats for sure. Its a BIG advantage for you , use it !

clubs memtality are different than normal business, take advantage of what others see as a disadvantage

• Like 4

Yes my comment was expresses awkwardly

On a more positive note , why not taking advantage of that terrible rule for yoyrself? Establish a schedule where YOU are always in to build your regulars , so you re not left out having to ask to work . A girl that shows up on time on schedule and shows she is serious will have more privileges, use it !

I would be rich if there was a "white girl cap" thats for sure. Its a BIG advantage for you , use it !

clubs memtality are different than normal business, take advantage of what others see as a disadvantage

Meg.

Here's the thing, even if I came to work on time everyday and created a schedule to work and built regulars do you not understand that if there is 5 of me then the 6th one would be left out? I will not always be the 3rd girl to call and make a schedule or the 4 th... sometimes I will be the 6th and therefore not be able to work. Do you get how that is unfair ? I started this post because I was scheduled and wanted to see a regular earlier than my start time. Which no offence Megan is something you would be able to do even though I cannot.

-Chrissy.

• Like 4

To put a fine point on this topic, what we're really talking about is race profiling. That's really dangerous material for discussion. EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE. I'm not a moderator, nor any kind of influential voice here. Still, I'm going to ask that we keep in mind to keep our conversation civil. Take a few deep, calming breaths before hitting that submit button.

The BGR is a real thing. I also happen to believe it is a real problem.

We've been posting about how much we disagree with it, that it shouldn't exist, and how to possibly use it since it does.

Maybe we should try to actually DO something about it. We've (I've) heard from those affected by it and how it impacts their ability to work. It suddenly occurs to me (duh) that posting something here on a fairly obscure message board isn't going to do diddly squat to fix anything. We're just slapping each other on the back for being morally upright.

The people who are actually affected by the BGR won't be able to convince anyone to change it for the very reason that it exists.

If you are a patron of a club where this rule is in effect, talk to the manager or the owner and see if you can get it struck down. I have no idea if that will be effective, or change anyone's mind. You won't know until you try.

One easy and fairly anonymous way might be to call the club and ask if they have a Black Girl Rule for scheduling. If they say yes, tell them that you'll start coming back again when they don't. Repeat. Boycotting is meaningless if nobody knows why.

Deep, calming breath ...

• Like 9

One easy and fairly anonymous way might be to call the club and ask if they have a Black Girl Rule for scheduling. If they say yes, tell them that you'll start coming back again when they don't. Repeat. Boycotting is meaningless if nobody knows why.

While the idea is good, I would be incredibly surprised if any club ever openly admitted to doing this. In my experience, it's more of an open secret that others eventually hear about from the black dancers that are subjected to it.

Short of filing a complaint with the Ontario Human Rights Commission, I don't have any alternative ideas to offer up though.

• Like 3

what happened thursday night at Barbarellas Is an example of why the club put a cap of ladies ... A dancer attacked another one with pepperspray and the cops were involved ....

A lot of customers even dancers are not aware of what really goes on sometimes. It Is sad to see some ladies working very hard only to give their money away to some "controling guy " or to beat up another dancer who is doing better than them

I know i just opened a can of worm but someone had to say it . Sometimes the money you spend on a dancer only to be given away. Choose wisely who you spend it on , if you see the girl is so desperate, you won't help by spending on them

We are talking about creating an association to support younger dancers to stay away from those "scams" and to stay on the right track while being a dancer. I didn't wanted to sound negative , but just to expose a sad reality that unfortunately is very present

I did not realize that happens to dancers. By the way, i think i have seen more than 5 black dancers at Barbarellas and Pigale before.

Additional Comments:

To put a fine point on this topic, what we're really talking about is race profiling. That's really dangerous material for discussion. EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE. I'm not a moderator, nor any kind of influential voice here. Still, I'm going to ask that we keep in mind to keep our conversation civil. Take a few deep, calming breaths before hitting that submit button.

The BGR is a real thing. I also happen to believe it is a real problem.

We've been posting about how much we disagree with it, that it shouldn't exist, and how to possibly use it since it does.

Maybe we should try to actually DO something about it. We've (I've) heard from those affected by it and how it impacts their ability to work. It suddenly occurs to me (duh) that posting something here on a fairly obscure message board isn't going to do diddly squat to fix anything. We're just slapping each other on the back for being morally upright.

The people who are actually affected by the BGR won't be able to convince anyone to change it for the very reason that it exists.

If you are a patron of a club where this rule is in effect, talk to the manager or the owner and see if you can get it struck down. I have no idea if that will be effective, or change anyone's mind. You won't know until you try.

Deep, calming breath ...

I was wondering which clubs have this limit. I have seem more than 5 black dancers at Pigale and Barbarella before.

By the way, how do the managers know which dancers are bringing in the customers? Do they count how many times they go to the champagne room or do they ask the bouncers? Just wondering because without these metrics they would have no idea whether a certain dancer is bringing in the customers or not. I guess they could be guessing ??

Probably best way to help, as a client, is start mentioning to the managers that there aren't enough black girls at the club, and you prefer seeing a more diverse group etc. Least confrontational option and it will hopefully be taken seriously.

Sadly I'm not in the best of positions to influence a change either (not running a club or working there myself) but maybe talking to other white dancers and asking for a bit of help here and there (can you give me a shift? Etc) and if any girls agree that the BGR is stupid, they can offer you the occasional shift... I mean, hopefully you'll be allowed in especially if no one else will take that slot.

• Like 6

if you like ebony ladies and bbw, Tease would be the place to be, there is no cap on girls and the environnement is very friendly

My point. Was their is a Black girl rule and a Big girl rule. It is rare to see a big girl in some clubs.

For me it is the personality 50% I prefer a small to medium 25% and how you dance 25%!!

My point. Was their is a Black girl rule and a Big girl rule. It is rare to see a big girl in some clubs.

I've never seen a club with an official quota on bigger dancers so much as many managers just think customers don't want to see them, so they don't hire any. A lot of hiring managers have a specific idea of what is attractive (ie. thin) and mistakenly think the clientele shares it, so they're reluctant to hire anyone who strays too far from it.

• Like 1

I've never seen a club with an official quota on bigger dancers so much as many managers just think customers don't want to see them, so they don't hire any. A lot of hiring managers have a specific idea of what is attractive (ie. thin) and mistakenly think the clientele shares it, so they're reluctant to hire anyone who strays too far from it.

i didn't realize there were hiring managers at the clubs.

I thought they just let what ever girl who wants to dance at the club in.

Is it true that dancers have to pay to work at the clubs? If they do, then wouldn't the club make more by having more dancers come to the club?

yes we do pay to work at a club

we also have strict rules on schedules and such. You can compare us as hairdressers, we pay to rent a chair, here we pay to rent a champagne room

like a salon , you wouldnt hire someone who s not good at their job or not representing you well right, even if they pay for the space. Dancer is the same, they don t just take any girls that just walks in .

Edited by MeganDancer
typo
  • Like 1

then is that not, a rule no big girls, if they don't hire big girls then is that not prejudice.... so is that not a quota no big girls....

• Like 1

I suspect that asking directly and threatening a boycott if they give you the wrong answer will simply teach them to lie.

It might be more effective to simply regret that there's so few <whatever> dancers to choose from - and you can do that for dancers of whatever ethnicity, body type, or other criteria you choose.

I thought they just let what ever girl who wants to dance at the club in.

Is it true that dancers have to pay to work at the clubs? If they do, then wouldn't the club make more by having more dancers come to the club?

Yes, but there's a limit to how many they can have, and if they have more people who want to work then it's in the club's interest to give preference to the dancers who will attract more customers.

Of course, the set of dancers who will attract the most customers probably *isn't* a bunch of identikit thin blondes - I'd like to think we customers would prefer more variety than that. How accurately the club managers can get the right people working on any given night is open to speculation.

• Like 1

Buttons (1") will be available in a couple of weeks.

Let me know via PM if you want one. $2 to cover production costs.

NO_BGR.png

It could mean all kinds of things.

NO Black Girl Rule

NO Big Gal Rule

NO Blue Green Red (showing your nerdy preference for Red Green Blue)

Kilt Boy, you should charity those buttons. All proceeds go to your local black strippers ;)

Oh, believe me honey, the proceeds are going to my local black strippers one way or another.

Additional Comments:

then is that not, a rule no big girls, if they don't hire big girls then is that not prejudice.... so is that not a quota no big girls....

You're not quite there yet.

A club owner wants to hire people that will bring in clients. They may not hire big girls for this reason. I haven't seen a woman over 50 years old dancing in a club in a long time. They also don't typically hire the trans-gendered or men. Exclusionary hiring is another topic.

No, this discussion is about the actual known restrictions placed on the hiring and subsequent scheduling of black girls. Specifically.

Another question might be, how black do you have to be? I've spoken with some very lightly coloured girls and others of a different ethnicity who've encountered the same treatment.

• Like 3

While perusing the interwebs for news about the goings-on at our local establishments, I was a bit taken aback by a posting (on another, unmoderated board, not the redoubtable resource depended upon by many of us - i.e. rat'cheer as they say in the South) suggesting that on a recent Saturday afternoon there were "too many black girls" at Barb's.

Has management responded to the concerns raised in this thread re the BGR or is this just a coincidence?

(Perhaps a limit remains in place and there just weren't many dancers in that day so that by chance a majority of ebony dancers was the result on that occasion.)

I've never had the impression that there were "too many" of any type of dancer in any situation in the local clubs.

Difficult to guess if the sort of comment/attitude quoted above constitutes outright racism or merely bemoans a lack of variety.

The rule is horribly unfair. Customers like to see lots of dancers at the club, so why not just let all of the dancers in who want to be there?

If the club is worried about some dancers causing trouble, they should judge based on how the dancer behaves at the club, not based on the colour of their skin. There are just as many white dancers who cause trouble as any other colour.

• Like 1