Barbarellas closing at end of year?

5 hours ago, Kilt Boy said:

I noticed that they've put up the standard Claridge Homes sales centre on the corner of the block, so I fear that the club may not have much time left. Pity.

Agree this will be a sad development when it finally transpires. Wonder if this calendar year will mark the end or if there will be some remaining life in '19.

Hope the last day will be announced or in some way made known as I'd be interested in attending to mark the occasion and reminisce about years gone by at 340.

• Like 3

It would be a shame to see it close I have many blurred memories of evening I spent there before crawling across the street to my room at the old Delta.

I don't get to Ottawa very often any more but if I did I would drop in for one last visit to the champagne room.

On 3/10/2017 at 11:19 AM, canuckhooker said:

As for Tease, that license always existed, it was Cabaret Canada, Palace of Screams (sic) etc. The name and owner changed that was it.

I'm a little confused.  In a recent thread about Taboo's possibly imminent closure, someone else indicated that the license does NOT automatically transfer over to a new owner.  But this comment seems to indicate otherwise.   Anyone know for sure?   

Ottawa Citizen article suggesting that Claridge is firing up the approval process for redevelopment of the site at 340.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/claridge-dusts-off-three-tower-development-plan-for-land-beside-lyon-lrt-station

If anyone hears about when the final day will be for Barbarella's, I hope this could be shared here. As previously mentioned, I certainly would attempt to be present sometime on the final day (afternoon or maybe evening) to mark the occasion and recall memories of many nights and afternoons at this venue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since there is an existing licence for 340 Queen, maybe Claridge will build a SC in the new development! (Extreme wishfull thinking!)

• Haha 1

Sad to see this institution going away, there were many memorable evenings.  I don’t get to Ottawa often anymore, but the article didn’t indicate a timeframe.  Anybody have news on when Claridge would take over and break ground?

On 11/9/2018 at 8:26 PM, castle said:

I'm a little confused.  In a recent thread about Taboo's possibly imminent closure, someone else indicated that the license does NOT automatically transfer over to a new owner.  But this comment seems to indicate otherwise.   Anyone know for sure?   

Not what I said. It can be transferred over. Sometimes although they changed the name the owner in the case of Tease stayed the same except for the last person who held the license. Now they are having issues and I would say it is about 50-50 that the issue is with the owner's past or background. (criminal record, etc)