Text communication

How long should you wait for a reply? When is it good manners to say "ok goodbye" and move on?

Anywhere from 2 min to a few hours if you so wish to. However, it may be that she is entertaining a longer than average visit or that she is done with her day and may only reply when she is working again. In some rare cases, it may be because she is taking some off-time for what ever reason.

In short, if you really wish to see her wait a few hours and try again or in some cases, wait a few days and try again.

I find it a good habit to let someone I am txting know that my phone is private and that they can txt back at any time. I find if the person I was txting is busy and unable to reply then they are either overwhelmed with txt messages and cannot respond to them all or if there is a long delay they may not respond back unless they know its safe to do so without someone else seeing their txt.

• Like 5

Guest Prufrock Cummings
Anywhere from 2 min to a few hours if you so wish to. However, it may be that she is entertaining a longer than average visit or that she is done with her day and may only reply when she is working again. In some rare cases, it may be because she is taking some off-time for what ever reason.

In short, if you really wish to see her wait a few hours and try again or in some cases, wait a few days and try again.

2 minutes? few hours? What if they are in the movie theater watching Titanic, that could be many many many long hours ;)

On vacation for two weeks and not wanting to pay roaming charges; phone off.

Out of town for an unexpected funeral for a few days.

Unexpected medical condition bringing them to hospital.

Dropped phone in sink.

Life happens, be patient.

Unfortunately, this can vary greatly from SP to SP..

Checking ads and/or sites can be helpful as some will have their preferences/ways of/general times for replying listed on such.

If I cannot reply to a text message within 2 hours of receiving it, (because I'm with someone or otherwise busy,) I typically won't reply.. You never know where they are or who they might be with by then.

I find it a good habit to let someone I am txting know that my phone is private and that they can txt back at any time. I find if the person I was txting is busy and unable to reply then they are either overwhelmed with txt messages and cannot respond to them all or if there is a long delay they may not respond back unless they know its safe to do so without someone else seeing their txt.

This being the exception, of course!

If someone sends me a text, (that says more than just 'want see you soon. msg when avail') that gives me a time frame for a reply or states that it's safe to reply whenever I am free and can do so, I'll reply as soon as possible.

• Like 3

I must admit that I HATE texting a message to an SP/MA but it is becoming more and more the norm these days. I'd much rather speak to them on the phone or introduce myself with a nice email. In either of these cases I find it much easier to get a nice back and forth conversation going. Easier for each party to tell if they are compatible with each other and more likely to honestly enjoy each other's company.

I'd never send a one word text like 'Hi' or 'Sup' as apparently a lot of men do these days. I fully understand why a lady would never even bother with a message like that.

Text messages certainly suit brevity, but I always try to convey the type of person I am with a somewhat longer message..... even if my fingers get cramped....LOL!!

• Like 3

my friend received a text the other day at least 20 minutes after the person sent it.

they are not being received immediately in some cases, so keep that in mind. They are not being received at all in other cases, for example if you sent a text to someone who doesn't have texting as in a landline, and they cannot reply. it is possible they replied and you did not receive the reply.

i don't do texting for many reasons, including that i prefer a phone call which takes sooooooo much less time than texting back and forth for an hour.

in short, i recommend that whether you are sending or replying, always do two texts in case one gets lost or delayed. if you are sending out a first contact text, make it detailed, including the time you have available and that after a certain time you don't want a reply or can't arrange an appt, more information is better than saying 'hi' or 'rates?' or 'available?"