Hello Fellow Cerbites

My circumstances have changed and I now have to find a new means of communicating with my lady friends without the possibility of my SO having access to numbers that I call or text.

I am in the market for a cell phone. All that I will really need the phone for is calling or texting. I don't really need any kind of data plan that allows me to browse the internet. My SO has suggested we add a phone to her existing plan which I don't want to do unless there is a way to hide incriminating information or she does not have access to. Ideally having my own phone and plan would be preferable but she may ask why I would not want to share a plan.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds like it's time for you to get a Burner Phone...

I suppose there are circumstances where a "burner phone" could be hard to explain if it was discovered and might have the exact opposite effect of what is intended by getting one.

Personally I would just use my everyday phone but it's necessary ensure that you don't have anyone in your contact list and delete call history and text messages immediately and don't use any invasive apps like Facebook. Some billing from carriers will show all calls (even ones that don't count against your airtime, etc.).

Perhaps a better idea than a burner is to unlock your phone (if it isn't already unlocked) and just change the SIM card to a prepaid one when you need to be a secret agent for a short time.

I seem to recall there is a new law where your carrier has to provide the unlock code for your phone after you have had it for 3 months or more and the bill is kept current.

Most Lyla ladies are really professional and won't text or call you when you might not be expecting it.

• Like 1

Plenty of cell phone providers offer prepaid products under 100$ where you can use very cheap text and voice plans or just pay as you go with top up cards without contracts.

From there you can hide it or just say it's a work phone and lock it with a password. Having a second (or spare) cell phone now a day is not that unusual.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for your replies. The information you all shared has been very helpful.

I do prefer to have only one phone rather than a second hidden burner phone. I will be retired which makes it difficult to explain a second phone if it is found.

I think I am better off with getting a cheap phone with a talk and text plan. I will look into providers that offer that. I will also have to figure out what to tell my SO why I did not join her plan.

Thanks again

Thanks to all for your replies. The information you all shared has been very helpful.

I do prefer to have only one phone rather than a second hidden burner phone. I will be retired which makes it difficult to explain a second phone if it is found.

I think I am better off with getting a cheap phone with a talk and text plan. I will look into providers that offer that. I will also have to figure out what to tell my SO why I did not join her plan.

Thanks again

If you wish to only keep your existing phone use a Text App like TextNow. (free)

It can be uninstalled and reinstalled, if you so choose. When uninstalled it will receive messages but not notify on the phone.

• Like 2

Thanks again

You can try to install on your phone application like TextNow. It gives you second phone # for texting and calling. Nothing is shown on your phone bill. And it just one of tens applications installed on your phone - nobody will ever check it.

Basic is free. If you want permanent phone number, it is $39 per year. It can work for you.

• Like 1

The other option is to get a second Sim card for hobbying. You only put that Sim card in the phone when you play, then take it out when not. The second Sim card can be a pay as you go, so can be an inexpensive option.

Using text apps doesn't work with most providers.

The other option is to get a second Sim card for hobbying. You only put that Sim card in the phone when you play, then take it out when not. The second Sim card can be a pay as you go, so can be an inexpensive option.

Using text apps doesn't work with most providers.

You got to be careful with that. Depending on the provider, Sim cards will deactivate themselves after a few week or month of inactivity . Learned that the hard way(even if only cost me under 5$ for another Sim card). Better inform yourself on the cell phone company policies before doing this.

Also, if the significant other is a tech savvy person she can find a lot about you if she accidently finds that Sim card. On top of the phone number, she can find your contact list. A Sim card can be easier to hide, but if found you're pretty much as screwed.

Personally I would just use my everyday phone but it's necessary ensure that you don't have anyone in your contact list and delete call history and text messages immediately and don't use any invasive apps like Facebook. Some billing from carriers will show all calls (even ones that don't count against your airtime, etc.).

This point about Facebook is really important. There's some stuff about you that you really don't want to be harvested into the cloud and used to suggest purchases, or push ads, or suggest new friends.

It's not just FB; a lot of apps do this, and it's very hard to know which ones or what they're hoovering up.

So you don't have a phone at the moment? That changes the calculation... although I confess I'm not sure of the implications.

If your SO is with one of the big providers then there's probably a good reason to go elsewhere: it's cheaper!