Barefax sticking customers with $ 5 charge to get dances upstairs

5$ what price gougers!!!

Imagine we actually expected to not pay fees to go work like literally every other job, and be actually paid a wage or at least tipped for dancing naked or chatting with you all day !!! We Strippers are just so greedy ... ;)

With all due respect, I don't think that's what most people are suggesting. It's certainly not what I said.

When I go to a club, I fully expect to spend and it is a luxury that I enjoy. I previously stated that I don't care about the $5. I am generous and tip, so that's not the point.

Your frustrations about customers are valid, I just don't see how they fit this conversation about a silly tax that does not go to the dancer.

The $5 is insignificant but they've made it an issue by associating it with something the customer doesn't value; a song counter. It would be like Costco charging me $5 at the door for the person that checks my receipt.

It doesn't serve anyone and it's not enough money To Significantly change the club's business model.

If you want to suggest higher per song rates, higher drink rates, I'd be okay with all of that because it is a luxury to me. Dances and drinks are things I value.

To Meg's point, of course they can make any decision they want. That doesn't make it a good decision .

I run a business and while it's not a strip club, I certainly don't go out of my way to highlight administrative tasks, create negative experiences for insignificant amounts of money, then yell at my customers for being cheap and tell them I can do whatever I want because I'm the owner.

If they want to draw better dancers, then charge more per song and get them paid.

If they want to renovate the club and create an upscale club, then add an extra$2 per drink and increase cover charges.

They need to figure out what they are trying to accomplish.

• Like 6

Guest pagypie

if i can pay 10$ or whatever it is for a greygoose i dont think 5$ will phase me

the most annoying thing for me would be actually having to carry 5s

im surprised how fervent some want to reject this model but i guess all opinions are valid...cant tell anyone what to spend money on.

i cant imagine what kind of first impression you make with a dancer if you get upset at the table before the CR...but hey free country

I am okay with any adjustments to Ottawa SC business model that will prevent it from going belly up (that is within reason). We are actually pretty lucky, there are some places I know in the States where it is $40/song in the CR.

• Like 2

Thanks Meg, Luxe and all the gentlemen for your views. Much appreciated. My final $0.02 on the matter:

1) It wouldn't bother me if they increased the cover charge..... Oh well.... life is expensive and the price of everything is going up.... C'est la vie..

2) It wouldn't bother me if they increased the price of drinks and food... Oh well.... life is expensive and the price of everything is going up.... C'est la vie..

3) It's great to see dancers get tips. If you see someone and you think she's beautiful, why not pay her the compliment of letting her know? I've known Luxe for a long time and she's a simply amazing person. So happy for her that she gets such great attention in the tipping oriented U.S. clubs!!

4) This new upstairs dance charge is only $5.00. That doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is they way this new dance charge makes me FEEL!!

You go there and start chatting with a nice girl. The two of us have some chemistry and fun conversation. Hey, let's go upstairs and have a fun, sexy time together and forget about life for a while. You get to the top of the stairs. Please allow the club to slap your face and laugh at you a bit before you continue.

To me, it simply FEELS like a slap in the face. It FEELS like robbery. I don't know if that's a rational way to approach it, but that's what it is for me, and it just makes me want to get the hell out of there. I don't even feel like continuing anything after it happens. It's like the club is sending you a message: "We enjoy insulting you and we don't care about you".

I get that there's other clubs in Toronto, Vegas, Dubai, wherever in the world that also do this. I would feel the same way at ANY of those establishments and would not return.

• Like 1

I am not going to say I am an expert but I have heard of bodies taking up much of real estate in a club and drinking glass after glass of tap water. Fair enough are the comments on raising drink prices etc but come on! Theses business owners need to make money in order to keep the doors open....so.....bring the productive ideas rather than the complaints. Personally I would like to see a door fee at all times of the day!

I have not been to the Barefax in a while and I have not read the boards in a while, so forgive me for asking. Is it $5 extra per dance or is it $5 per visit to the champagne room. Seems to me that they are trying to deter people from trying out new dancers. If i have a favorite dancer it is not going to stop me, but if i am not sure about a new dancer I may decide not to get the dance.

Wonder why they don't just raise the prices of drinks or the cover charge a dollar or two as this definately penalizes the dancers.

Yes. $6/bottle.

lol I've been pm'ing with one of the posters on this thread and we're referring to it at the '$5 thread'

Apparently it is now a $6 thread!

The Fax provides the safest strip club experience Ive experienced in Ottawa. Unlike a lot of other places, Im not watching the door or concerned that they let this person or that in. The staff are professional and the door people are good. So it costs extra for a dance, its the better club, no bs or shootings or slimes.

• Like 1

I have not been to the Barefax in a while and I have not read the boards in a while, so forgive me for asking. Is it $5 extra per dance or is it $5 per visit to the champagne room. Seems to me that they are trying to deter people from trying out new dancers. If i have a favorite dancer it is not going to stop me, but if i am not sure about a new dancer I may decide not to get the dance.

Wonder why they don't just raise the prices of drinks or the cover charge a dollar or two as this definately penalizes the dancers.

As has been discussed, it's $5 to visit the CR 'upstairs' - not sure if they are using a 'hand stamp' so you only fork over the five bucks once in the event of multiple CR trips or if the levy is imposed on every visit.

Tend to agree that it might be better just to increase the cover. This wouldn't help out during the afternoons, but I'm told the $5 fee doesn't apply before 7:00 anyway.

Increasing the cover slightly would also have the effect of getting a little something more out of those who just watch the stage as an evening's entertainment while nursing a single beverage. Sure, it would also affect those who make CR visits, but I'm not sure how to avoid this apart from the somewhat awkward approach of charging everyone an extra $5 cover at the door and then refunding this amount if a CR visit is taken. No doubt this would prove a nuisance but a somewhat more equitable nuisance than the current setup. Charge patrons who don't take ladies to the CR, not those who do.

• Like 2

Each club got a surprise bill of $7,500 to have an entertainment license to operate in Ottawa for 2018 with hints it may be higher in 2019. That is a jump from the $2,500 paid in 2017 . A 200% increase with no warning. That is a flat fee...regardless of seating or size. I am not a strip club owner, but I am a business man and to have a bill of that size come in to just operate would sting. Let alone the other hurdles of being in business as a strip club that many of us do not realize. Like most fees, these get past down to the paying customer. $5 CR charge, .50 cent hike in drinks, $1 increase in door fee. Whatever the case, people will bitch about it. The Fax...I am unsure if its $7,500 flat or $7,500 x 2 as I believe upstairs is a separate license when they put in the stairs in the middle. The owner at the Mate said he needed a license for the Mate and the other for Suite 300.....$15,000.00 license fee. Compound this with increase in minimum wages.

In either case, I enjoy going to SC's. I generally go with "x" amount in my pocket. I budget "x" amount for dances, the rest on drinks and anywhere else, the $5 is in that now....big deal....if I whine about $5 I should not be going to a SC. Maybe it is a bad and sour taste to have an extra fee, but to be honest, raising drink prices would be worse and I am not sure how an increase in door fee be taken.

Enjoy the clubs guys. Have some drinks, enjoy the scenery and have fun.

• Like 5

is it $5 every time you go up with a girl or one time fee?

i know in MTL some you have to pay a fee to go to the back room.

Every time. The VIP concierge will give you a booth number in exchange for a crisp Laurier.

I wonder what they'd do if I stayed in a booth and texted a girl downstairs to come join me.

• Like 3

Every time. The VIP concierge will give you a booth number in exchange for a crisp Laurier.

I wonder what they'd do if I stayed in a booth and texted a girl downstairs to come join me.

That is going to hurt the girls and the club. Sometimes you try out girls you don't know or have not seen them without their clothes on, but if you are unsure, it might make it less likely that people will try out new girls that they don't know.

The club is going to be hurt if it is $5 charge plus $20/dance as other clubs do not have this extra tax on the visit to the champagne room.

Its an irritating charge especially for someone who tries out a lot of dancers.

As for the $7500 business license, that would work out to $625/month or about $20 day. It sucks that the City of Ottawa put this extra tax on them but i think they would be better off slipping the charges into beer and cover charges.

Anyways I guess they will see how much money they make off of it so if there is a big drop off in dances then they might try something else to make the money.

I was there later in the evening a couple of times lately, and there was nobody upstairs to take my money. They still have the table set up, though. I'll ask to see what's going on.

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've gone at different times (early / late afternoon, evening, later at night, weekday / weekend) over the past month or so, and there has literally never been anyone sitting at the table upstairs to take money from me.