How has technology been a detriment in your life?

I find that no one actually reads anymore. Not even a short paragraph unless it contains those annoying emojis.

Cursive writing isn't a thing in schools anymore.

Spelling is irrelavent because wtf and btw are easier.

Oh, and predictive text is annoying!

• Like 3

It's sad that nobody reads anymore. If you purchased a vehicle, home or anything else of value you should read the contract because it contains valuable information. I have been pressured into signing contracts in the past but I read the fine print and make changes if need be with the sellers initials or signature and then I sign my name after.

Emojis are Ok if you are writing a cute note to a friend or spouse but that's it for me anyway. And with today's technologies spelling can be corrected for those who were not that great at school. Don't get me started with calculators they let kids use them from grade 2 now. We were only allowed when I got to high school(grade 9) for geometry.

• Like 1

I remember when emoji's were a colon : and a bracket ) to make a smiley face haha in fact i still use it most of the time...I have to say i still read books....alot...and i encourage my kids to read them...Instead of buying new i usually buy used and donate my old books to charity...or to the local library...my kids love to read...i grew up working in a library and absolutely loved it so i guess it has stuck....the screens of computers bother my eyes so i try to minimize reading much other than posting ads and being here thats about it for me unless I'm doing research on a topic.

And I'm with ya Meg on the predictive text! people need to learn to spell and not by having technology do it for you... i absolutely abhor autocorrect as well haha

Guest MelanieRose

When I was in High School we could use calculators for just about anything, even exams! Unfortunately that's probably the main reason why my mental math is not the best and why I'm still constantly using a calculator lol.

Spelling tests stopped in Junior High, I was told that spelling doesn't matter as much anymore "because most things are spell checked on a computer"... I guess with how big technology is today, that is kind of true! But on the other hand, I still like to know how to spell correctly :P

I think it's more a generational gap than technology. Modern smartphones will learn the vocabulary from it's users and suggest words he/she often uses. I rarely use emojis and abbreviations and my phone will suggest complete words after typing one or two letters.

If you receive an incoherent text message, blame the user and not the phone. The phone is only a tool and won't change a persons vocabulary. It will only adapt to how it's used.

Have a nice hump day.

• Like 1

One thing I find annoying is people texting even when they have the time for a voice call. Especially when all they want to do is text for hours.

For example: I met a lady on a dating site last weekend. We have been texting for a week. All she wants to do is text back and forth. Sometimes I can not even understand her texts. She uses texting slang I can not even decipher. She refuses to talk on the phone or do video chat with me. She even refuses to use cursive writing. "Because it takes to long to type", she said. By the way, she is texting on a computer and not a phone. Ugh.... I have now moved on in search of someone new.

It is so much easier to get to know an SP/MP lady than it is to get to know anyone else these days.

Spelling tests stopped in Junior High, I was told that spelling doesn't matter as much anymore "because most things are spell checked on a computer"... I guess with how big technology is today, that is kind of true! But on the other hand, I still like to know how to spell correctly :P

lol that is true! If you have no clue how to spell a word even spell check won't work :))

I find that no one actually reads anymore. Not even a short paragraph unless it contains those annoying emojis.

Cursive writing isn't a thing in schools anymore.

Spelling is irrelavent because wtf and btw are easier.

Oh' date=' and predictive text is annoying![/quote']

Our intelligence and ability for constructive thought is reduced to the length of a Twitter.

Like, OMG that is really SAD!

Was just fretting over this the other day...

I was once an avid reader and a very good writer. So good, I was always encouraged by my professors, and those who knew me well, to peruse that in some form.

Over the years, though, with an exhausting job and other commitments, I rarely have the time to read or write, or the energy, and those skills have suffered considerably. Now, it's usually TV or messing around on the phone/computer when I have down time.

But, I have a feeling if those distractions weren't available, I'd get back into my old (good) habits. Will admit, though, it's my own fault and not that of technology....