Leolist is a joke.

When BP went down I like others turned to Leolist. But now I find it flooded with fake ads. So much so that I can't be bothered sorting through them. So now I am only using Lyla which could be a bit of a problem because I know some SPs don't post on Lyla. I much prefer Lyla anyway even over the old BP. I encourage all SPs to post on Lyla.

• Like 1

Give leolist time. It will mature.

I discovered something that eliminated almost all of the fake ads. I realized if you go to Leolist and Advanced filters and in the phone number part, put "902" for the area code and leave the rest blank you only see providers with a phone number and in the 902 area code.

This does unfortunately remove legit providers advertising without a phone number or using a non "902" phone number. But frankly there's plenty of providers with 902 numbers and not having to wade through the fakes is a big plus.

This is great for Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, etc places with largely a single area code, not so good in Ontario where multiple area codes are common but still might have some practical uses.

• Like 1

Nova Scotia has two area codes as well.

Good point, there's only 3 providers advertising today with a 782 number in Nova Scotia, but it is a valid area code for NS/PEI.

I understand the frustration everyone feels. I feel it myself. It would be so much simpler if only legit providers advertised on sites like that. Unfortunately it is unlikely to ever happen. It's just the nature of the type of site.

The reason is that it is free for us as hobbiests to view and use the site. If we were paying a membership fee, then we would have every right to complain about the type of ads they allowed and who they accept their money from. As I understand it, their only income comes from the ads that are placed and the fees to bump them to the top of the list. (in addition to some banner ad revenue.) Expecting them to pick and choose who they except their income from, and to police it for us when they don't directly get any revenue from us is expecting a lot from them.

Lyla is free to us as well, although it is different in that it is a board. The members themselves are the ones who police such things. The mods don't read every post or investigate every user. They rely on members to report such things, which is quite an effective system.

The good news is that most of these scammers are going for the low hanging fruit. The men who believe that you can spend the night with a supermodel for $75 (or even for free in some cases). This makes these ads very easy to spot and to simply move on. It does add some time to the process, but again, the price of the service is right.

The only way scammers like this will ever stop is when it stops working for them. When people stop sending them advance payments to secure the dates. Unfortunately, there is one born every minute as the saying goes so I don't see that happening any time soon. Especially with men who are thinking with their other brain. ;)

• Like 5