How "poor" have you been?

When I lost my virginity' date=' my boyfriend at the time bought candles at Big Buds! HAHAHA! :)[/quote']

what?...you mean you're not a virgin????????

• Like 1

For me, during law school where I figured out I could have a hotdog and a bag of popcorn for 95 cents. Relish on the hotdog for vegetables.

I made great money as a teen and on up until a divorce.

Then came a bid awakening.

I learned how to heat a rock in the oven and wrap it in newspaper to keep in our beds at night. I learned that from a woman who was very poor. (I still do it now cause the rock stays hot for a very long time.)

It is interesting to watch your breath in the air while you sit in the living room, and, if someone walks past then the air that moves against your face actually hurts. We wore winter clothes inside.

We burned some living room furniture cause we didn't have any heat except the fireplace and we had no wood. And I remember living on porridge a lot. But, I pretty much figured out which church was giving away what food and when, and, I can make something out of anything.

We sorta made it an adventure.

Wow! After reading all these stories I feel lucky to have what I did back then and what I have now. Some people aren't so fortunate. Even though I did have a humbling experience and survived not fully knowing the ways of the world, I knew I was never fully alone and could count on help if I needed it. Coming from a large family of many sisters, I was independent from an early age so it made the transition easier. Of course things were tight at times but we never went cold or hungry. I guess we were considered middle class yet we weren't trying keeping up with the Jones' or anything like that.

Many people have a different opinion of what "poor" really is and I thought I knew looking back at my own experience but after reading these posts, I certainly have a much clearer idea of what people go through and how they struggle. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Wow! After reading all these stories I feel lucky to have what I did back then and what I have now. Some people aren't so fortunate. Even though I did have a humbling experience and survived not fully knowing the ways of the world, I knew I was never fully alone and could count on help if I needed it. Coming from a large family of many sisters, I was independent from an early age so it made the transition easier. Of course things were tight at times but we never went cold or hungry. I guess we were considered middle class yet we weren't trying keeping up with the Jones' or anything like that.

Many people have a different opinion of what "poor" really is and I thought I knew looking back at my own experience but after reading these posts, I certainly have a much clearer idea of what people go through and how they struggle. Thanks for sharing.

I agree! Most of us have been very fortunate. Keep in mind too what is "poor" in one area of the world is great wealth in another!

Thanks for sharing everyone! :bigclap:

Yes thanks for sharing all tese true life struggles make some of our lifes seem like a bed of roses

When I was a kid, my family was so poor when we went camping the bears hid THEIR FOOD up in the trees! And people only ASSUMED we were camping. That tent was the best home we ever had! And it wasn't even a real tent! It was a bunch of moldy burlap sacks quilted together with rusty barbed wire. And THAT was in GOOD TIMES! You should have seen us when things were rough!

When I was a kid we would have to get up a 1/2 hour before we went to bed. ;)

Guest f***2f***

Lived on a beach in the Canary Islands for 6 weeks when I was 19 with my 18 yr old gf, We were hitchhiking around Europe. We had a pup tent and we lived beside a tomato farm and picked bananas too. Our day consisted of sex, picking fruit and swimming...Garden of Eden...best time of my life and I had very little money!!

Yet another financial/food reference, not the worst one I could tell but the most memorable and life-altering...

About 3 years ago, in my student days, I went to the asian grocery on Somerset (now closed) in my scrubs right after working a 7am-3pm Saturday shift at my horribly underpaid but very rewarding PT job at a nearby senior's residence.

I had been very closely adding up my purchases while shopping so that I wouldn't go over the $80 I had left on my debit card. Sadly, after being checked out, my card was denied due to insufficient funds! I was quickly and mercifully directed to another cash so another cashier could help me figure out what I could afford with the 18$ cash I had in my wallet, without holding the line up. I was pretty embarrassed... Turns out my OSAP payment was late in being withdrawn from my account, and I was more cash-strapped than I thought.

Before then I'd been poorer, and richer, but this experience stands out for me as it was right before I started doing massage. One of the many reasons I finally took the plunge into the business! Financially, it was an opportunity I just couldn't refuse, and coupled with my already risque and sexy lifestyle it just made that much more sense(lol, cents)!

Guest O***wa**W

My family was poor all through childhood, we lived in low income housing, in the "projects". I was poor as a teenager, living alone, working for minimum wage, trying to pay rent, relying on food banks and help from family to feed myself. I know all the tricks to making a dollar last longer, and I also know and appreciate the difference between price and value. Some things are worth the money!