Kissing and flu season.....should we?

I am one person who is really adamant about not seeing anyone when I am not feeling well. It seems I have been recovering from or coming down with a cold for most of the last year. I blame riding the busses everyday. This city seems to be a festering germ incubator, as there are always people on the busses, in public and at work who are obviously sick. The result has been a decline in the number and frequency of visits for me for the last couple of years. I am reluctant to make an appt in advance as may have to cancell because my nose starts running again. Yes, I take my flu shots, wash my hands at every oppportunity and try to eat a balanced diet, but to no avail it seems. I am not sure what the solution is, beyond relocating to a climate where I feel better, which btw, I am seriously considering as I am reaching the end of my current career anyway. I could stay longer but if it means being sick all the time, it isn't worth it.

Guest T**E******s

You can be contagious before you even know your sick. Asking for someone to cancel while in the midst is great, but if they look and sound fine you wouldn't turn them away right?

Yes, Empress, I am aware of that. have you read the last statement I have made? I gave you an account of someone who knew they were sick and still came anyway, thus getting me sick for 10 days! 10 days that I could not work! I am not ignorant to matters of influenza's, and colds. And as I said we can not prevent getting sick, it is a natural way of being healthy in fact! But when we know we are we owe it to our community to keep it under control and spread it knowingly.

Some of the information I have received has been helpful, but I feel that some of you seem to think that I am ignorant to these facts! I am merely expressing my frustration at the people who do not seem to have the common since they still come sick! And when they are here, I see them coughing and covering there mouth with their hands, then shaking my hand! You should be coughing into your elbow.

Guest T**E******s
Yes, Empress, I am aware of that. have you read the last statement I have made? I gave you an account of someone who knew they were sick and still came anyway, thus getting me sick for 10 days! 10 days that I could not work! I am not ignorant to matters of influenza's, and colds. And as I said we can not prevent getting sick, it is a natural way of being healthy in fact! But when we know we are we owe it to our community to keep it under control and spread it knowingly.

Some of the information I have received has been helpful, but I feel that some of you seem to think that I am ignorant to these facts! I am merely expressing my frustration at the people who do not seem to have the common since they still come sick! And when they are here, I see them coughing and covering there mouth with their hands, then shaking my hand! You should be coughing into your elbow.

That wasn't directed at you Sophia, perhaps I should have been more specific. Although I am wondering why you would shake someone's hand after watching them cough into it, eeeww!

Guest s******ecan****
as there are always people on the busses, in public and at work who are obviously sick.

Well said......a lot of this comes from a real change in employer's attitudes towards sick days. I used to work at a well known Financial Institution and over the years I saw a steady decrease in tolerance for sick days turn into outright hostility. As a result co-workers were being constantly exposed to each other when they should have been at home. Eventually the HR department noticed people were always sick.....their solution? Each location was generously supplied with those little anti-bacterial hand sanitizer dispensers, though eventually we were told the employees were using them too much and they were then frequently left empty do to lack of supply!

Ok, Empress, have you never been in a situation that you are multitasking and on reflex to something that is just second nature to you. Of course I would use hand sanitizer after words. But yet, he should know how to cough in public.

I love how on Sesame Street it teaches kids how to cough properly. One of the funniest things I have seen recently was a father and his son in line at a store. The father coughed in his hand and his son was like but dad you are supposed to cough like this (fake cough in the elbow)

I loved it...

But back to the thread at hand

I recently got sick from a client, he didn't tell me until after that he got over a cold. I was not impressed and spent a few days in bed making sure I didn't infect the general population. Its only common sense to stay in if its possible and not to

meet up if you are sick.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

Guest **cely***r***ne

Interesting thread....

I try to stay healthy and retain a healthier lifestyle...sometimes its harder than others, especially when we are involved in this industry...as some may be careless and ignore the ailment.

I have gotten sick a couple times, and have cancelled my tours because of it, I would never put anyones health on the line no matter what!

I do look at this as a business and I enjoy my repeat clients, therefore why would I want to risk losing my business and my clients?

I wouldn't want anyone to think to themselves... 'if she works with a cold...what else?'

Guest T**E******s
Ok, Empress, have you never been in a situation that you are multitasking and on reflex to something that is just second nature to you. Of course I would use hand sanitizer after words. But yet, he should know how to cough in public.

I agree people should know how to cough, and reflex situations. I write from a germaphobe stand point. I can poke fun at myself, because I'm the person who wears a mask so I don't catch whatever you have. I leave the taps running and don't touch doorhandles, I'm not the normal person, lol. I don't shake hands, with any one, at any time, I air kiss :) And I don't breath while doing it. Even though I know it doesn't help my chances of not catching something. Mind over matter when overcoming phobia, well trying to control it at least.

I can appreciate people staying home when they are sick, maybe more than most. And try to resign myself that many don't.

Where are the good old days, when women went into confinement when breeding? Cant we bring that back but instead of being ashamed of pregnancy, it be the common cold or flu?

Guest **cely***r***ne

LoL

I was thinking of a shower cap perhaps :)

I'd wear a hair net if you'd like :)

Peace

MG

Guest T**E******s
I'd wear a hair net if you'd like :)

Peace

MG

Thanks for the laughter, my stomach muscle got a workout without the gym :)

I don't need a hair net, unless your cooking my food, the rest of you can be alleviated from any form of restriction though :)

My anal retentive tendencies and OCD have gotten much better with hard work, some areas I don't feel the need to combat, hygiene of public places where thousands have touched things.

But I dare anyone to move a book out of place, on any shelf, in my house! I will notice. lol. I almost feel sorry for my sister, who tries to discreetly borrow things.

Since I'm completely bald a hair net would be some what redundant :). I not much of a germophobe in fact I fear we over do it these days. I can't get over all the disinfectant wipe ads, not sure how I survived this long.

I'm the consumate piler, about every 5 years or so I organize books or cd's or my tool box and that lasts for about 15 minutes. Organized clutter is my style, I get nervous when things are a little too neat.

Peace

MG

I have to ask mrgreen, are you artistic? They say artists tend to like our organized messes, due to our overactive scatter brained ways, lol....I am an artist.

Hi Sophie :)

Well I'm a Pisces that should sum it up right there..lol

Peace

MG

Two things you can pass someone through kissing is the bacteria that causes cavities and the bacteria that causes gingivitis, or gum disease.

Once a person is over 35ish the teeth harden up and cavities become very rare (my dentist told me this) but, as we age we become very susceptible to gingivitis due to the changes in our saliva's ph and our ability to control these critters.

One can pass these germs through drinking out of the same cups too. I have noticed a trend for familial teeth problems and I asked the dentist about that too. He said it is not unusual for an entire family to be infected with the bacteria, and, just add less than enthusiastic cleaning and you have problems.

Gum disease can really destroy your mouth. Brushing once a week with hydrogen peroxide is a good way to kill the critters and rinsing with a solution to restore the ph (found in drugstores) will help.

I love my teeth! I am very selective with whom I kiss!

• Like 1

Well said......a lot of this comes from a real change in employer's attitudes towards sick days. I used to work at a well known Financial Institution and over the years I saw a steady decrease in tolerance for sick days turn into outright hostility. As a result co-workers were being constantly exposed to each other when they should have been at home. Eventually the HR department noticed people were always sick.....their solution? Each location was generously supplied with those little anti-bacterial hand sanitizer dispensers, though eventually we were told the employees were using them too much and they were then frequently left empty do to lack of supply!

Avoiding colds and flus should be especially tough where I work (in the Public Sector)...I deal with hundreds of people every day, but I still only get a cold or flu once every couple of years...maybe the sanitizers are working - but the pessimist in me thinks that maybe they just help develop newer strains that are harder to get rid of when you do get them!