Vegetarian recipes anyone?

I just became a vegetarian this year. It was my new year's resolution, and just to prove how serious I was about it, I started a week early - Xmas supper was my last taste of dead animal. Loving every minute of it!

So I'm looking for recipes, ideas in general, etc. Especially simpler stuff. As much as I like to cook, I live in a rural shithole so my ingredient choices are not what they would be in a city.

Bonus points(hypothetical ones) for spicy foods - Thai, Indian especially.

Guest s******ecan****

Get a good Indian cookbook, Millions of Indians are vegetarian so you will find no shortage of recipies, same with Thai.

I know this is not what you intended, but I could name a few ladies that are vegetarians and they taste pretty damn good. :motion:

I just bought a new cook book, 150 Healthiest 15 min Recipes on Earth.

It has really great idea's also explains why the dish is healthy and the benefits from a Doctor's point of view. There may be some fish in the recipes, but lots of veggie dishes! Good luck! I tried it before but I found my blood type did not work as a vegetarian. I feel anemic,eventhough I was substantiating my proteins, it was not enough for me. But still love my vegetarian dishes.

Guest s****i*

I have been looking into vegetarian food for a while now but I am kind of worried about not getting enough protein. I do a lot of weight training mostly focused on bodybuilding but I am leaning towards strongman training. I just don't see how I can get enough protein without the estrogenic effects of soy. And I don't want to eat 12 pounds of beans a day... That would be an ungodly aroma. Or I'd at least be extra regular. Which isn't helpful in a deadlift. I'm 6'5 and weigh over 340 pounds to so getting more than a gram per pound of bodyweight in digestible protein a day is kind of absurd if I can't eat meat. I don't think I can be a full on vegan that's for sure. But if there's any suggestions out there I would be open to it. I get queasy thinking about where my meat comes from and it's pretty hard to down it sometimes.

Additional Comments:

Also just a note I have been told I carry my weight very well distributed. I am not like Dom Deluise. I wouldn't say I'm dainty though... I will never be a male model that's for sure. I'm kind of like a truck, everybody wants an exotic sports car until they need to move a couch then suddenly all they ever wanted was a diesel dually. I'm just trying to say I'm not Obese... I'm a thud.

Additional Comments:

Quinoa contains alot of protein...more than any other grain.

Check out this link for some awesome recipes

http://www.quinoa.net/181.html

I have replaced rice and most other grains with Quinoa... amazing. It's actually a complete protein... and delicious if prepared properly.

I hadn't read about this stuff, but I still don't think it would be enough protein. They fact that it's a complete protein is good to know though.

A gram of protein per pound of bodyweight? Sounds high to me, but I'm no powerlifter, so I'll take your word for it.

On the other hand, I do work hard physically and exercise daily, and I'm getting a lot of my protein from different kinds of beans. But I'm not having any issues with fouling the air. The key is to buy dried beans, and prepare them yourself. When you soak them prior to cooking them, they lose the sugars that you can't digest which lead to flatulence. Also, I think vegetarianism, if done well(ie fresh, nutritious foods as opposed to packaged chemical "food-like" substances), will give you a high enough metabolism that you can digest beans(and everything else) well enough not to have such issues. There's always beano and gas-x if necessary.

Of course, your body may have an adjustment period of a couple of weeks, but once past that, you should be able to digest things cleanly.

As for quinoa, it may be a nutritious superfood, but unfortunately our sudden fascination with it is leading to malnutrition among those who've grown it for decades/centuries, since they can't afford it anymore.

http://www.care2.com/causes/real-food/blog/global-demand-for-quinoa/

Lastly, my vegetarian recipe of the day is my substitute for wings, since I can't have them anymore. I just make perogies like wings - batter them, deep fry or bake them, and coat them with hot sauce(which is a recipe I won't share). Bloody tasty, and more digestible than wings ever were.

Hey, good for you!

I've been vegetarian, off and on, for almost 9 years now and it makes a real difference in my life. I'm not going to preach but there are two resources that I always recommend when people ask about going meatless.

First, the book Becoming Vegetarian by Versanto Melina...awesome book with loads of important facts.

Second, vegweb.com...awesome site with great ideas.

Doc.