Your trail of breadcrumbs

For goodness sake, people! If you can't remember the name or contact method you used the last time you dealt with someone, don't expect her to be able to find you in her crystal ball. This morning, someone texted me from a number my phone didn't recognize and gave me a name that didn't appear anywhere on my ledger or calendar, except attached to other people who aren't him. At first, he insisted he'd seen me in 2017. I have no evidence of that. Then he says he knows I'm not taking any new business, but would I happen to feel like taking a chance on him? Yeah, I always feel like taking chances on people who try to trick me. Then he changes tack again, and swears we really did meet (doubtful), but he just can't remember what name or number he might have been using. At this point, I know he's a liar. I just don't know when he lies or why.

I'm semi-retired now (and loving the hell out of it, thank you!). But this used to happen all the time, back in the days when sometimes I needed an appointment to pay the bills. It's very frustrating.

I understand why it's second nature for you guys to want to act like secret agents, sneaking around and leaving no traces. And I won't even ask you not to do it, because I know it wouldn't do any good. 

But here's the thing: these days, with disposable phones, calling and texting apps, number spoofing software and more, if you want us to remember you for next time, it's up to YOU to give us a way to do that. And if you can't--if you can't remember what name you used or what number or email address you used, you know what? You might be better off just starting over from square one, and never mentioning any previous meeting. You'll have to be revetted and you forfeit any privileges you'd enjoy from being a known customer, but consider that the price for being  untraceable. It's probably better not to try to have it both ways. It only calls attention to your lack of candor in your dealings with us.

If you want us to remember you, leave a trail of breadcrumbs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Very valid point Christine.  I don't hobby frequently enough to expect a lady to remember me.  Although, I got reacquainted with one lady who immediately after I walked through the door claimed to remember me from about 4 years ago!  I doubted that but then she started to tell me things from our last visit which amazed me.

I used to keep discrete notes, really just memory joggers - not anything detailed, about past visits in my notes so that I could remind the lady of when we met or something memorable that occurred.  Still hoping that the site administrators will be able to recover our Notes pages.

Christine: I have a very strong suspicioun that the guy contacting you was Donald J. Trump.... or maybe Don Jr.!

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2018 at 5:50 PM, WildTiger said:

I used to keep discrete notes, really just memory joggers - not anything detailed, about past visits in my notes so that I could remind the lady of when we met or something memorable that occurred.  Still hoping that the site administrators will be able to recover our Notes pages.

Perhaps because this is a business in which discretion is crucial, or maybe just because I've met so many people, my memory is not great. But oddly, the things that jog my memory most are things that someone may have told me about their pets, their vacations or their home renovations. Someone could tell me he was an MP or an astronaut or owned the largest car dealership in town. I wouldn't remember. But if he told me he had a toy poodle named Fifi, that might ring a bell! 

• Like 2