Be careful how you buy weed in Canada if you ever want to go to the USA

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/us-border-officials-can-now-check-canadians-credit-card-history-and-ban-you-for-legal-marijuana-purchases

I don't use it but this is getting crazy. Now the US borders can check our credit cards to? WTF

The USA has gone a bit nuts in the last while. I used to love to go there now its getting fringing scary. No privacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pretty hypocritical considering the recreational use of weed is legal in 9 states and likely more after the midterms elections.

A simple solution is to pay cash. But if this thing really get imposed, you can expect legal actions from both sides of the border from people without any criminal records.

And can someone explain me how some artists with multiple possession charges can somehow cross the border without issues, but average joe who purchased a pipe in a pot store can't?

Edited by Guest

Problem for medical users who use legal LP's. They ALL have to pay online. Every Aurora client for example. Which is the largest leading medical cannabis company in all of Canada. 

Im so to the point now that I don't even want to bother to go state side for anything!   Good to know they can check your CCs though. I am sure they will get check for more then just weed purchases. 

• Thanks 4

The fact that they can check these things doesn't mean they will. I've never been asked about my weed-consumption habits when I've been to the US and I don't know anyone else who has either. So... I don't know how much of a problem this will be in practice.

But I agree, it's all getting rather silly, and avoiding the US might be a good idea for the moment (I've been going less than previously). Hopefully the US will get its act together and engage with reality at some point, but I suspect it'll take a few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2013 was the last year I went to the United States. I have absolutely no desire to go there now. First they can check your phone. Now your credit card gets checked too. I guess the legal system is a$$ backwards down there, presumed guilty until proven innocent and even if proven innocent you're still a suspect....well unless your a Trump nominee for Supreme Court, then your an ideal candidate

A rant...'er rambling

RG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. The US is one of the most backwards countries in the world when it comes to customs and immigration. They have had a long standing policy of refusing entry to Canadians with the most minor of very old criminal offenses. But rich Russian gangsters have flooded the country in recent years with extensive criminal records and they turn a blind eye. I was recently having a conversation with a friend of mine in real estate who actually bought a house in Texas and spent $7000+ on immigration lawyers trying to get a green card only to continually be stymied by red tape and utter bullshit until she finally gave up and sold the place and stayed here. It's almost like Canadians are not welcome other than sports stars, actors and medical fields. Just don't rock their fucking holier than thou boat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jessica Rain said:

It is true. Makes you thankful you live in Canada. 

Yes up here we legalized smoking dope, down in the US they elected a dope as President

Oh stop groaning, wasn't that bad a joke 😂 

RG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, roamingguy said:

Yes up here we legalized smoking dope, down in the US they elected a dope as President

Oh stop groaning, wasn't that bad a joke 😂 

RG

Lol, RG, We have a dope too. And yeah, that was a bit of a groaner.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We have had staff at our company questioned directly if they were a user of cannabis.  The thing with this is, if you are legally allowed to use the substance outside of work how can you work when you need travel to the US ?  Employers can't expect staff to willfully make false statements nor should they want you to - Catch 22.   I am seeing similar issues with our Canadian Forces and required drug testing before certain duties are carried out.

Seems like with most laws until a precedent has been established we are all exposed to uncertainty,

• Like 1

I'm not a user so I'm not personally affected by this issue. It's a little weird that they're getting so bent over it now.

The current U.S. environment is tense so I won't be going there anytime soon if I can help it. 

• Like 2

I've crossed the border 4 times since the 17th and have only been asked by the CBSA if I had any Marijuana.  I've crossed the border thousands of times by car and air and never have I had my phone checked by CBP or CBSA.  I was sent to secondary inspection once in Detroit, MI and once in Centreville, NB for getting frustrated with dumb questions and becoming a smartass.  Overall, I haven't had any major issues. I also try to avoid the big boarder crossings like Houlton/Woodstock, Highgate/St-Armand, Champlain/Blackpool, etc etc. 

I’ve given up. No desire to go to the states.  No desire to spend any of my money in the US. Although I did buy a car made in USA, only because the model I wanted isn’t made here anymore.

8 hours ago, TFZL1 said:

I’ve given up. No desire to go to the states.  No desire to spend any of my money in the US. Although I did buy a car made in USA, only because the model I wanted isn’t made here anymore.

I'm with you on that. It's more trouble than it's worth, not to mention the implications of supporting the current regime. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but when I can reasonably avoid it, I do.

• Like 1