Facebook and connections you don't want

Interesting article on an issue that's of concern to many of us.

https://gizmodo.com/how-facebook-outs-sex-workers-1818861596

Question is... how do you avoid this? I suspect a lot of it is because everyone has FB on their phones, and when two phones are together for a while... their owners must be too, right?

This stuff is very hard to avoid, but I'd suggest a few things.

Having separate phones for your normal and Lyla-related lives is a sensible precaution, even if you don't have a SO to hide it from. Don't access your more illicit accounts (here, Twitter, email, etc) from your real-life phone, and vice versa.

If you can, turn your civvie phone off when you're meeting someone for shenanigans (preferably a bit before you get there, and leave it off until you're well away afterwards). If you can't do that, at least turn off the location services, and wireless/data too if possible. That means FB doesn't know quite where you are and can't find out. Removing all FB apps from your phone is probably best of all, but that might not be a viable option for a lot of people.

And finally, if you ever do get an inappropriate suggestion for someone you may know on FB... at the very least, ignore it. And better yet, block them so it doesn't happen again.

• Thanks 3

Glad I'm not on Facebook.  Now another reason not to sign up and get a FB profile

BTW this show on Netflix may be of interest "Terms and Conditions May Apply"

Thanks for this Phaedrus

RG

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 6:07 PM, Phaedrus said:

Interesting article on an issue that's of concern to many of us.

https://gizmodo.com/how-facebook-outs-sex-workers-1818861596

Question is... how do you avoid this? I suspect a lot of it is because everyone has FB on their phones, and when two phones are together for a while... their owners must be too, right?

This stuff is very hard to avoid, but I'd suggest a few things.

Having separate phones for your normal and Lyla-related lives is a sensible precaution, even if you don't have a SO to hide it from. Don't access your more illicit accounts (here, Twitter, email, etc) from your real-life phone, and vice versa.

If you can, turn your civvie phone off when you're meeting someone for shenanigans (preferably a bit before you get there, and leave it off until you're well away afterwards). If you can't do that, at least turn off the location services, and wireless/data too if possible. That means FB doesn't know quite where you are and can't find out. Removing all FB apps from your phone is probably best of all, but that might not be a viable option for a lot of people.

And finally, if you ever do get an inappropriate suggestion for someone you may know on FB... at the very least, ignore it. And better yet, block them so it doesn't happen again.

I don’t do social media..had a brief stint on twitter but I completely agree about having separate phones for Facebook and also when travelling. I have a personal phone and have never visited Lyla or any other adult related sites on that phone. This way if you go travelling and customs wants to look at your phone, it has regular boring sites we tend to visit in our regular life. I’ve got like 300 windows open on that phone and all girlie stuff, YouTube videos, real housewives streaming shows. 😂

• Like 1

VPNs are certainly an important part of this, but they don't come close to being the whole story. You'd also have to have completely separate browsers for FB and for other use, at the very least, to avoid tracking via cookies and other methods (these don't rely on the IP address you're using). And you might need more than that (separate machines, VMs, or things like Tails) to avoid things like LSOs that are stored on the machine as a whole

Another issue: AFAIK VPNs are much harder to use from a phone, and accessing everything from your phone is a primary source of the kind of tracking that we're talking about here. Even if you use one, a VPN doesn't help if your phone is tracking your location at all times (and most people have location tracking turned on and don't think about it).

If all that sounds complicated... you're right, it is! That's why most people don't do anything about it, and companies like Facebook and Google continue to know everything about everyone.

Also: there are much better sources of information for this stuff than random Chinese websites (that's where topvpn100 is probably based, from the whois data, and it's clearly written by someone who has English as a second language).