Community Reputation Points | 1000

So this has been bothering me for a while. I'd say it started when the board transitioned to the new software. New members are being started out with a thousand 'Community Reputation' points. Where as anyone from prior didn't benefit. The point of the reputation points is to give you an idea of who this person is and how they've benefited the community. But guys with 3 posts have a thousand points and guys that have been around for ages, and have contributed, and are 'trusted' by those that know them are floating down about 280/360. Only because they started at what I suspect was zero. The practice of starting new members out with 1000 points is skewing the meter. 

No one with less than 100 posts should be hitting 1000 reputation. Especially not someone on their first post. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe all of the older members should be credited 1000 bonus points to put us on an even keel! 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has been judged by their amount of points, ranking and title.

Considering the amount of special requests since the site update, I never seen anyone make this aspect a priority.

Once the moderated period is complete, we're pretty much all equal in term of access and ability to communicate. 

a311af53d2063c7c69ca2a5c2c739913--gun-control-meme.jpg

Actually I'm of the same school too (I don't really care) But in fairness there was a time (in the early years LOL) it meant something.  But now I kind of see the point, 1000 points really means nothing, ok well really zero points LOL. But the more you participate and interact on Lyla the more other members know you (and you know them) and you are judged on that not the number of rep points you have or don't have. 

Anyway I don't know what the answer is. Except for post count quantification (and even that, is a post in the Joke Section worth the same as one in the General Discussion Area for example correct or should more weight be placed on, well for lack of a better term "more important threads"? Again I don't know

But I come here for entertainment, fun, knowledge (we can all learn).  But I'll let you all in on a secret Lyla policy, why I really come here and post and post...….   I want to win the steak knives LOL😂

A rambling with hopefully a humorous finish

RG 

winsteakknife.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

But I come here for entertainment, fun, knowledge (we can all learn).  But I'll let you all in on a secret Lyla policy, why I really come here and post and post...….   I want to win the steak knives LOL😂

A rambling with hopefully a humorous finish

RG 

Could be worst.....

2m8jin.jpg

See though, in this thread Greenteal and roamingguy are using the system the way it was meant to be. Adding likes and laughs to posts they appreciate. Those posters benefit with Community Rep. I for one, on this forum and others, note the rep of a member. It tells me a lot about how they handle themselves. In this case roamingguy isn't from my region so this is my first contact with him but I can tell from his rep that he's well respected. Not to imply its a game. Its not. But the system is meaningless if new members are getting boosted beyond where where many two year veterans have gotten too. Especially meaningless in regions like Manitoba where we really don't use the system as it is. 

• Thanks 1

I have nothing to say but felt I better post something to try to get my score up. 😉  

Plus I want a new toaster!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/14/2018 at 3:06 PM, WildTiger said:

I have nothing to say but felt I better post something to try to get my score up. 😉  

Plus I want a new toaster!

I'm with you!!!! LOL

• Haha 2

On November 10, 2018 at 7:03 PM, roamingguy said:

But I'll let you all in on a secret Lyla policy, why I really come here and post and post...….   I want to win the steak knives LOL😂

Omg.... Too Funny! I Love it... 😂.... 

And.... .. 

I'm Sorry, To Break The News... "I Won The Steak Knives"... 

Hahaha.. Now I Need to Work on the "Paderno Pot & Pan Set"... 😜 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Congrats @katie! :classic_wink: We can win a Paderno Pot and Pan set now!? I will be posting alot more :classic_biggrin:

Honestly though I still consider myself new to the site, im not sure how the points work aside from likes from posts. Still, i would not base user credibility on "Reputation points" just that it does reflect on the amount of posts interacted with.

Looking at users just on this post, users @rebelram9988 and @WildTiger with over 100 posts should be in the 10k + points? :classic_huh:

I am happy if i can win a tshirt!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HenryOcean said:

Congrats @katie! :classic_wink: We can win a Paderno Pot and Pan set now!? I will be posting alot more :classic_biggrin:

Honestly though I still consider myself new to the site, im not sure how the points work aside from likes from posts. Still, i would not base user credibility on "Reputation points" just that it does reflect on the amount of posts interacted with.

Looking at users just on this post, users @rebelram9988 and @WildTiger with over 100 posts should be in the 10k + points? :classic_huh:

I am happy if i can win a tshirt!

I agree, in fact i want 100K points lol!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Omg..... Lmao! 😉.... You Guys are Too Funny! Haha.....(almost like little boys wish list)... 

I got a Laugh reading these... Oh my 😂.... 

image.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zoneman said:

I don’t understand these reputation points? What’s the point if it all? 

It's more of a vanity thing and not really relevant. And as the point system has changed after the website facelift, the score doesn't always reflect the level of participation of members.

Other than giving a quick idea if a member is active a lot on Lyla, the purpose is mostly cosmetic.

That’s what I figured. Rank systems in forums are similar, but I’ve found it can sometimes be used by members as a way of competing with others which usually ends badly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zoneman said:

That’s what I figured. Rank systems in forums are similar, but I’ve found it can sometimes be used by members as a way of competing with others which usually ends badly.

There's a bit of that here, but it's all in clean fun. And those who simply want to collect points and "Likes" without returning the favor, tend to run dry quite quickly.