Because It’s 2019...

Happy New Year to one and all... it will be interesting to see whether or not Justin Trudeau’s Justice Minister follows through on her planned review of C-36... No doubt, they are likely hoping to sweep it under the rug, and us along with it. Nevertheless, the government should be held to account. Hopefully, the London court case / challenge scheduled to go ahead next month will spur some renewed discussion on this topic. 

• Like 2

I don't think they are trying to sweep it under the rug. It is an issue that is sensitive to the electorate, and for political reasons can only be addressed early in a mandate, so if it get addressed it's only if he's elected to a new majority term, which I think is quite possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, Boomer said:

I don't think they are trying to sweep it under the rug. It is an issue that is sensitive to the electorate, and for political reasons can only be addressed early in a mandate, so if it get addressed it's only if he's elected to a new majority term, which I think is quite possible.

Thanks for the clarification. Do you really feel Trudeau can pull off another majority? I was thinking more along the lines of  a minority government. Reason being, Trudeau’s abysmal handling of economic issues has a whole slew of people (mainly in the west) chomping at the bit to oust him.

My feeling is that the conservative vote will be split between Scheer and Maxime Bernier, thus resulting in a Liberal minority government. That’s just my humble opinion, however. Nevertheless, assuming Trudeau does eek out a majority, it would be nice to see him put his money where his mouth is by repealing the current law governing prostitution and set things right by giving the industry its rightful say...

On 1/1/2019 at 7:28 PM, Boomer said:

But not too early on, because they don't want it to look like a priority. And not too close to an election, because you wouldn't want to make it an election issue. I'm not convinced it's something they want to spend political capital on...

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 10:46 PM, Phaedrus said:

But not too early on, because they don't want it to look like a priority. And not too close to an election, because you wouldn't want to make it an election issue. I'm not convinced it's something they want to spend political capital on...

Unfortunate, but likely true.