Sort of Bad (Well Not Really) News and Good News

The sort of, but not really bad news first.  Got a call from my brother, he saw my mother's health care team (including doctor) about her condition (she has Stage 7 Alzheimers) Gist of it is the doctor wants the family's OK (my brother and me) to stop all medication (except any pain meds) My brother asked me, we both are in agreement, stop meds.  The person died a long time ago, just the body is still weakly alive. So they are weaning her off her meds and we are actually hopeful she passes away soon to finally rest in peace.  They thought she'd pass away two years ago.  I thought cancer was the worst disease, I was wrong, Alzheimers is by far worse than cancer.  I actually hope she passes away soon, to RIP, just no quality of life anymore. But still hard to be one of the two people who has to give approval to the doctor to cease medication.  

On a brighter note in the mail got a envelope from the Pension Centre, my pension goes up because of indexing 2.2% and I'm going to get a (slightly) larger (and noticeable) pension cheque every month, and first cheque comes in next Tuesday

That's been my Friday

RG 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

Sorry to hear about your Mom, RG. Hope she has a peaceful and dignified exit...

Thank You Phaedrus.  It's time for her to have a dignified ending. It's now six years since she was diagnosed with it, and a bit over two years she's be confined to a long term care facility.  Doesn't know anyone, even tried hitting her grandson (my nephew) just no reason.  She's had a long life (89 years old) and things will just get worse, not better. This is a horrible disease with no cure. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy

Thanks Again

RG

My condolences RG.  It's always hard to say goodbye to a loved one and even worse when you are asked to make the decision.  

• Thanks 1

I sympathize, my mum also suffered with dementia. She fell and fractured her hip and the doctor wanted to operate, it took a lot of persuading to get them to withdraw treatment and allow her a palliative death. It was a relief when she passed away and was free from suffering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Wild Tiger and Emma.  My brother and I know it's the right thing, and it will be good when she passes away and can rest in peace.  But there is still something "sobering" if you will, that it took my brother and myself to have to approve the change in treatment (well lack of treatment) the sole purpose is to speed up her end of life.

Thank you for sharing Boomer and sorry for the loss of your mother.  It's cruel to let a person stay alive but suffer for his/her life.  I'm glad they agreed to palliative care and her passing was quick and she no longer had to suffer.  At least when mom made out her Will she was competent enough to specify a DNR order and no heroic measures take place

Just now it's waiting by the phone, everytime it rings and my heart skips a beat wondering if it's the call "your mom went to sleep and didn't wake up" (thats how the staff at LTC phrase it)

Again, thanks everyone

RG 

• Like 2