How do we get more guests to signup

I was perusing the list of who was online earlier today and noticed that of the 250 people on the site at that moment only 35 were actual members.  That made me think what can we do as a site to increase the number of guests who convert members? 

What incentives can we give to these guests?

I am not fully aware of what rights Guests currently have on the site because I think I signed up on the first time I visited the site so I am not sure what we can offer but would be interested in others input.

One thought I had would be that if we can identify what part of the country the guest is from could a welcome message or messages be sent automatically from SP's in that area who are interested in that.  I was thinking that this immediate interest from ladies might encourage them to become members and could be free ads to potentially interested guys in their area??

Just a first thought ... but I think we need to do something to increase traffic.

Just my Opinion 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ice4fun said:

I am not fully aware of what rights Guests currently have on the site....

Currently, you can't view recco's without signing in to an account.

There used to also be a limit to how many pages you could view without signing in too. I don't believe that that is still the case though. (I just tried signing out and it let me navigate the site for a while without shutting me down, just couldn't see the recco's). I think that would be useful if it were brought back as far as converting the people dropping by to become members. (Assuming I'm correct about it no longer being in place.)

You also couldn't view anyone's personal page before which no longer seems to be the case. Again an added incentive to sign up perhaps.

I'm not sure what more you can do. If you restrict access more than that, you risk people losing interest. You have to show them what the site has to offer in the first place. You have to find the right balance there.

4 hours ago, Ice4fun said:

One thought I had would be that if we can identify what part of the country the guest is from could a welcome message or messages be sent automatically from SP's in that area who are interested in that.  I was thinking that this immediate interest from ladies might encourage them to become members and could be free ads to potentially interested guys in their area??

Interesting ideas. Worth considering if there is interest from the sp's.

• Like 2

First I tried looking up rules and couldn't find any regarding "Guests"  But in searching I noticed a lot of threads where "Guests" are sending welcoming posts to members who just joined CERB/Lyla 🤔 Sorry that seems odd to me

Just a couple quick thoughts maybe limit access "Guest" access to Lyla (meaning if you read it as a guest you're only allowed to read a couple pages and thats it. Next time the guest tries to access Lyla a message something like "you've exceeded your limit of time on Lyla, please join as a full member and join our community" or words to that effect)

Two "Guests" don't post at all, not untill they become members.

Three not all of this is "Guests". Maybe there are a lot of Lyla members who've taken to lurking, don't know what to do to bring them back, just a I guess more observation than anything

Four For those on Twitter promote this site, maybe it'll help don't know. I know in my future recommendations I'll make mention of the lady and her reco is on Lyla and then add the @LylaForums Twitter address.  In the meantime on Twitter I every couple of weeks do a "Shout Out Saturday (or Sunday) Tweet and include Lyla in that. Don't know if it even does any good but I am giving it a shot

Anyhow a few thoughts, maybe worth something, maybe not don't know

A 2 cent rambling

RG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Your throwing around some great Ideas, Gentlemen. Keep up the good work 😉... 

I'm in.... Sounds great.... 😘

• Like 2

Becoming a member is quite a short and easy process for someone who simply want to browse profiles and ads without necessarily being active.

If a guest can't bother to take a few minutes to create a profile, not sure why we and LYLA should bent over backward to give them more perks.

It isn't about giving them more perks for joining. It's more about limiting their perks until they do take that time. No we can't make them contribute once they have. You can lead a horse to water.......   We can get them closer though and once they have an account they are far more likely to. More members makes for a stronger site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People join this site to meet SP's so I think any enticement to get people to join and not to just be guests needs to involve SP access/info in a way that does not hard current SP members business.

• Like 1

Speaking of perks, I like what I just saw. I was reading Mikeyboy’s last post and a notification from bottom of page stated that Ice4fun replied. I liked seeing that without having to refresh the page. That’s one perk that should not be for guests! Okay back to the actual perk discussion.

Roamingguy, about the limiting access, I feel as if I’ve seen that either as a new member years ago or when I was “guesting” around the site, but it was effective more so than other things. It actually revs up the guest’s motors to want to join. I’d say it’s a catalyst to getting on the site to discover the perks. If it’s not the case now, this should be brought back for sure. Reading on and on without limitation will limit the good things about this site.

Edited by Hukupp
Adding comment for RG
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mikeyboy said:

It isn't about giving them more perks for joining. It's more about limiting their perks until they do take that time. No we can't make them contribute once they have. You can lead a horse to water.......   We can get them closer though and once they have an account they are far more likely to. More members makes for a stronger site.

I agree. But when someone can't bother to take a minute or two to become a members, I'm not sure what else can be done.

4 minutes ago, Greenteal said:

I agree. But when someone can't bother to take a minute or two to become a members, I'm not sure what else can be done.

I can't disagree with you... but I think something needs to be done.  Maybe you should should not get any access until you become a member.   Let's face it there is no cost...you don't have to give your real name and everyone has a junk email they use for websites so ... you want to see the schedules and the profiles sign up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the answer is right there between you guys. Limiting perks for now will result in more people joining and gaining access to the real perks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ice4fun said:

I can't disagree with you... but I think something needs to be done.  Maybe you should should not get any access until you become a member.   Let's face it there is no cost...you don't have to give your real name and everyone has a junk email they use for websites so ... you want to see the schedules and the profiles sign up.

Yep, I think, this might be the one. Too much access, they get what they need, and leave. Give them No Access (at all), until there're Signed up. 

"Give Them An Inch, And They Take A Mile"......😏

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, katie said:

Give them No Access (at all),

I think its important to let people explore the site first and see what it has to offer. Why would they want to otherwise? Let them view up to a given number of pages (10 maybe?)  before you hit a "sign up here for a free account" message. (The site used to do that.) 

• Like 1

My theory...if they don't want to join, they don't want to participate either. Lots of people lurk. Their choice.

However, I dispise posting anonymously.  Too many other sites allow this and turn a site into a hateful forum.

Another issue are those that are banned previously can view and go on other sites to report back. So, my preference is limiting their options to view posts.

It previously kept the trolls away. Now they are able to view without joining.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing, directed more to any "Guests" who are lurking and reading this thread understand, this isn't us not wanting you...we want you...as Lyla members.  So please join Lyla as a member, you will be welcome here, and joining is not that hard🙂

RG

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Meaghan McLeod said:

My theory...if they don't want to join, they don't want to participate either. Lots of people lurk. Their choice.

However, I dispise posting anonymously.  Too many other sites allow this and turn a site into a hateful forum.

Another issue are those that are banned previously can view and go on other sites to report back. So, my preference is limiting their options to view posts.

It previously kept the trolls away. Now they are able to view without joining.

Trolls can evidently be members. I’d worry more about the sins of those here rather than what unknowns are doing or saying. Some banned members were some of the best members. Perhaps that’s part of the lack of  attraction for many.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cjthomas said:

Trolls can evidently be members. I’d worry more about the sins of those here rather than what unknowns are doing or saying. Some banned members were some of the best members. Perhaps that’s part of the lack of  attraction for many.

Maybe, maybe not.  I don't know which members would be categorized both as best members and banned members at the same time, although some come to mind.  But with that said that might be worth a look at, separately.  Formers members that are now banned, maybe a current Lyla member who thinks he/she would be an asset to this community could submit that person's name to cerbmod for reconsideration.  Between cerbmod and council they could review and see if that person could come back to Lyla if he/she chooses too.

Just a thought and a rambling

RG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cjthomas said:

I do think that at times the site has hurt itself by suspending or banning individuals for .... I know it's a thankless job being Mod on a site and that they are doing the very best they can but I think there should be a very high threshold for kicking people out.

Just my Opinion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not the first time this topic comes up. On previous threads pertaining to this topic where suggestions were made some longtime members posted if things change they would leave this board. I'm fine with this board being only recommendations but when someone posts inquiring about a provider who is not a member of this board and you can't be honest when replying there is something wrong, IMO. The first time I received an infraction, the second time banned for 7 days and was warned the next time I face being permanently banned. For what? For being honest and helping a fellow member? Honesty here is not the best policy. End result, I don't share my experiences with members when they inquire about providers.

Like all businesses, if you don't evolve you fall behind and slowly fade away but most members here don't want any serious change. So be it and now some are wondering what can be done to get more traffic. IMO, controlling how many pages guests can view is not a viable solution to gain more members. The real issues run deeper, but what do I know. I'm just a noob here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhereIRoam said:

Honesty here is not the best policy. End result, I don't share my experiences with members when they inquire about providers.

Like all businesses, if you don't evolve you fall behind and slowly fade away but most members here don't want any serious change. So be it and now some are wondering what can be done to get more traffic. IMO, controlling how many pages guests can view is not a viable solution to gain more members. The real issues run deeper, but what do I know. I'm just a noob here.

There ways to be honest without breaking the rules. A non-response to an inquiry is more than self-explanatory. And when a serious warning is justified, there's a forum for that purpose. 

I agree the website and rules are not perfect and the changes of the past year have made things a bit confusing. But considering how increasingly complicated advertising became for ladies, I don't see this forum fading away anytime soon. 

It's sometimes better to have less with a nice selection of reputable ladies and members, than having a lot of barely active accounts with questionnable people behind them.

43 minutes ago, WhereIRoam said:

It's not the first time this topic comes up. On previous threads pertaining to this topic where suggestions were made some longtime members posted if things change they would leave this board. I'm fine with this board being only recommendations but when someone posts inquiring about a provider who is not a member of this board and you can't be honest when replying there is something wrong, IMO. The first time I received an infraction, the second time banned for 7 days and was warned the next time I face being permanently banned. For what? For being honest and helping a fellow member? Honesty here is not the best policy. End result, I don't share my experiences with members when they inquire about providers.

Another option if the answer to a member's query about a provider is going to be negative, use the PM system.  That keeps the answer off the board.  But what always seems to be missed whether the answer will be review (negative) or recommendation (positive) (BTW JMO on the difference between review vs recommendation) it is just one client's opinion about a lady, not something that is laid down in stone.

Accurate (well as accurate as can be) feedback on a lady would come only if a number of clients answered, otherwise all you're getting is one client's opinion.  And considering the policy of this board "If you do not have anything nice to say don't say it" Greenteal is right, a "non-response to an inquiry is more than self-explanatory" 

The rules here on Lyla are different than on review boards.  But that doesn't mean you can't get or give the answers you seek or are sought.  

A rambling

RG

13 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

Another option if the answer to a member's query about a provider is going to be negative, use the PM system.  

That's one way if not abused. Too many will ask, advertise or hint negative information if contacted privately and quite often get in trouble that way. If useful information or advices are to be shared privately, better do it directly without the public teasing.