Sign in to follow this  

How do you start a private members club?

I'm pretty sure that this is the point where a lawyer would come in very handy. With the proliferation of MA operations as 'legitimate' private members clubs I thought it might merit a bit of discussion for someone else who might want to open something similar.

I'm just blue-skying some ideas here based on opportunity and inclination. A long-running exotic dance bar in my area is closing in a month and will be sorely missed. With the bylaw regulation in my city, it is next to impossible to find any location that would be suitable as a regular "storefront". I've been putting some thought into the idea of possibly creating a MEMBERS ONLY CLUB that might fill that void. I know that the entire exercise is doomed to failure because strip clubs are on the decline and have been for years, but I'm still intrigued by the mechanics of the idea.

I could be totally wrong about this. Maybe strip clubs are specifically singled out for licensing and you couldn't create a MOC like that. However, if you can, you should be able to get a liquor license like some other MOCs here have.

• Like 1