Found this article by chance. Published in The Atlantic entitled - Nobody Uses Dental Dams -  So why do they still exist?

Nobody Uses Dental Dams

So why do they still exist? An Object Lesson.

The students have survived watching their teacher demonstrate how to put a condom on a “wooden penis model.” They’ve been assigned homework to find examples of contraception use in sex scenes in movies or TV shows. But before they go, they have one final lesson, one last barrier method for their teacher to sheepishly explain: the dental dam, a latex sheet used as a barrier during oral sex.

According to a sex-ed curriculum used by school districts in San Diego, Boston, Portland, and elsewhere, their teacher would show them how to remove a dam from its package and place it over genitalia by forming an “O” with their hand. The instructor would inform the students that dental dams are flavored, and that they should only be used once and then thrown away. Most important, the teacher would instruct them to always use dental dams when performing oral sex on women, or they’ll be at risk of transmitting STIs.There’s just one problem: The pupils are unlikely ever to take their teachers up on the suggestion. Even the teachers, preaching about the dangers of STIs, have probably never bought one themselves.............

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/04/dental-dams-are-more-symbolic-practical/587539/

Some exerts from this interesting article -

- Sanford Barnum invented the rubber dental dam in 1864 to isolate individual teeth from saliva during dental surgery. For more than a century, the product’s use seems to have been limited to dental operations. But in the late 1980s, as millions of gay men began dying of AIDS, safe-sex advocates adopted the dental dam for an entirely new purpose.

- In the nearly four decades since, science has shown that HIV is practically impossible to transmit between women, and dental dams were more a product of AIDS panic than of genuine medical necessity. But dental dams are still around, even if not because of consumer demand.

- From a medical perspective, it makes sense that dental dams aren’t highly sought after. Cunnilingus is one of the safest forms of sex in terms of STD transmission. Minkin, the Yale School of Medicine professor, says this is likely because the labia tissue is more similar to external skin than the internal tissue exposed during anal or vaginal sex, and thus less susceptible to STD transmission.

- Halem argues that dental dams should be struck from curricula entirely. “If you only have a short period of time to educate young people about sex, dental dams should not be taking up any of those precious moments,” Halem said. “I just really don’t want anybody not having oral sex because they can’t find a dental dam. My god, that’s a tragedy!”

Personally, I have been in this hobby for way over 10 years. But I have never seen one or seen anyone using it.  Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I never head about the product being used that way.

To give protected oral, I seen people cut a condom lengthwise to create a sheet of latex to accomplish the same goal.

Dental office supplies are not really the first thing that pop in mind when you think safe sex.

I had one massage lady that got turned on from a massage that I gave her she asked if I wanted to give her DATY, I could not refuse because she was really hot.  So just before I prepared myself she opened up a wrapper and held one on for me, she enjoyed it but I had absolutely no pleasure in this, it was like licking the inside of a plastic spoon without any food in it, no flavor, just rubber.  So the next time I'm offered this I'll just pass.

• Like 4

Agreed, notch. I just find them annoying and useless.

I was an mp for many years and never once did any women ever ask me to use one.

15 hours ago, Greenteal said:

To be honest, I never head about the product being used that way.

To give protected oral, I seen people cut a condom lengthwise to create a sheet of latex to accomplish the same goal.

Dental office supplies are not really the first thing that pop in mind when you think safe sex.

Me too. This is the first time I have read about the history of this device which is intriguing.  No wonder it's called Dental Dam.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotchJohnson said:

I had one massage lady that got turned on from a massage that I gave her she asked if I wanted to give her DATY, I could not refuse because she was really hot.  So just before I prepared myself she opened up a wrapper and held one on for me, she enjoyed it but I had absolutely no pleasure in this, it was like licking the inside of a plastic spoon without any food in it, no flavor, just rubber.  So the next time I'm offered this I'll just pass.

One time, a couple of years back, I booked a session with an MA.  Shortly after, when I was told that she would use a dental dam, I decided not to go through with it because what you experienced was exactly what I imagined or rather "feared"  I would feel... ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckyme said:

Me too. This is the first time I have read about the history of this device which is intriguing.  No wonder it's called Dental Dam.

I understand the idea behind safe oral sex, but I prefer by far using my fingers( and latex glove in some scenarios) instead of licking a piece of rubber.

This is the only way dental dams should be used:

dental_dam__51126.1544748463.1280.1280.png

Why you are saying that no one uses them? I have a cousin that shared with me her experience with her boyfriend which has invisible braces and she was getting hurt almost every time when he wanted to pleasure her. She said they were using these dental dams not just for the hygiene buy also for protecting from such issues. It made me understand this better and I will think of it if I will have a boyfriend with braces. Well, I hope we will not have this kind of problems.

The first time I seen or even heard of dental dames was when I first started as a companion in Ottawa 9+ years ago lol  . I did a duo with a friend and she pulled one of these suckers out and went to town on my puss  😁 honestly I still remember it very vividly as it was my very first threesome, I'll never forget it! She gave me one to you now 😛😹 and it was watermelon flavored yummy 😋

Edited by Everleigh May
  • Like 1