RIM Playbook

The Playbook has been on the market just a few days. Future Shop and Best Buy are both pairing the device with a Blackberry so that email and other applications can be accessed through Bluetooth . It is first generation so I will wait to see what develops.

Why not make the playbook a smartphone as well? You could keep it in your jacket pocket and use a handsfree earpiece. I guess being able to type easily is an issue as well.

Has anyone bought one?

I have included a link to a UK review of the device. I find US reviews are really negative with an underlying bias in favour of the US made ipad.

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/review/2045706/rim-blackberry-playbook-look

Guest Ou**or**n

Apple spends so much money on junkets for journalists that any mainstream online or print media review of any Apple or competitive device is going to be biased. It is actually a very sad state of affairs.

In terms of the Playbook I think it was short-sighted of RIM to release a device that is of interest only to those that already have a Blackberry. In Apple's defense - the iPad is of interest to everyone - you don't need an iPhone in any way to use it.

Personally I find the 9.7" iPad a little small for me liking. I would never consider a 7" device.

The Playbook sounds like it has promise with its hardware and robust QNX operating system. However I doubt this device will ever see solid sales growth. I think RIM is in for a very tough year.

I thought this thread was about something else, a certain sexual practice, judging from the title lol

Edited by Cato

I am quite interested in seeing how the next generation of the playbook will be. I played with one yesterday for awhile and liked it but I wouldn't run out and buy one even if I am a huge RIM/BB supporter.

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest mo**y

The playbook is designed more for business use than personal (Ontario Teacher's Union is buying a bunch). The security features are much better than the IPad. That being said, I agree with Fun that RIM is in for a tough year. I, for one, wouldn't waste the money.

Sent from my IPad 2 :)

Guest s******ecan****

I'm a crackberry addict and have had one (several over the years) since 2003. I'll be picking up a Playbook over the summer because it neatly fills a gap between my BB Pearl and my laptop. My Pearl (smart phone) has blackberry features but is too small to take full advantage of the growing potential of mobile. I don't like the larger Blackberry devices because I find them too bulky to be a phone. I don't like dragging my laptop around but my Pearl is a lousy device for surfing. The Playbook fits right in between and doesen't require me to get a new data plan since it can go bluetooth off my Pearl or tap into a Wifi. Needing another data pack is one reason I never went for an iPad, the others being the whole debacle over non-flash capability and the fact that once Steve Jobs is out of the picture I feel Apple will rapidly decline.

I'm waiting until summer in the hopes that Rim will improve the battery for the Playbook as all reviews so far indicate it is maxing out at around 4-6 hours. It won't be a deal breaker though.

The new software RIM bought for the Playbook is smooth and bulletproof.

After playing with the PlayBook for nearly a full week, I can say confidently that it is an amazing device, with huge potential, but (there's always a but) it needs to mature software wise before it can make it in the big leagues (that being said I've gotten two OS updates since getting the device).

Without going over all the information covered in the multitude of (sadly mostly negative) reviews out there, if I had to pick out the biggest win of the device right now: the Browser. It is amazing. Silky smooth and plays Flash. I have tried a multitude of websites, some PG rated, some not PG rated, and they all work beautifully on the thing. And with the built in bezel gestures, you never feel like the 7 inch screen is too small.

On the flip side, my biggest gripe is the not-finished software. There are a few bugs here and there, and my only hope is that RIM is working hard to plug these holes quickly.

One interesting use-case I just thought of: if you don't want to port around laptop (although lets face it laptops aren't that big these days anyways), but if you didn't want to carry one around, you could always go out on business with your PlayBook, then when you get back to the hotel, use the hdmi output on the playbook to connect it to the hotel tv. This coupled with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse; you've just setup a mobile workstation. And with wireless internet you can watch all the 1080p movies/tv online that you want.

Finally, the bias within the negative reviews are getting a little bit ridiculous. There was one review I read that claimed the iPad (2) was "as light as a feather" at 1.3 lb but then lambasted the PlayBook for being "as heavy as a brick" with its 0.9 lb weight? Really?

Sorry for the long post. But to sum-up, amazing device, huge potential, but if you're looking for apps and mature software you need to wait just a little bit longer.

Go RIM!

I finally got my hands on one of these today and played with it for a bit. I like the gestures from the border to the screen (Great idea) but if I had not have known about this from a review I read I think I may have walked away from the demo unit a little confused (and I am tech savvy). I think would discourage some people as without knowing that tidbit of information the ones they have as demo's in the stores would be frustrating to someone interested enough to try it (where the ipad is pretty intuitive and natural).

I do like it, the size is perfect (Better then the ipad) and the speed and sensitivity are very good. I would like to borrow one for a week and really test it out and compare things like apps.

Having Flash in the browser is SO MUCH BETTER!! Apple is really dropping the ball on that one.

I've never buy v1 of anything. The same goes for Playbook. Hopefully, its v2 addresses all complaints. WRT Flash support, Apple does not want it in for reason to protect its App Store. It wants users to get apps from Apple. I think the only way Apple will reconsider Flash is when it loses its big lead in the mobile and tablet space.

I have to agree with techno_babble. I bought one in the first week that it was available. It took a few days to really get used to the smaller form factor and the virtual keyboard, but there's absolutely no way I'd give it up now.

There have been several comments about the fact that it was rushed out the door in order to make some exec's promised ship date. The hardware fit and finish is absolutely perfect. The software was certainly lacking but there have been a couple of announcements by RIM this week at their BlackBerry World conference and a couple of really good software updates that have been pushed out. It's an enormous improvement and will only get better from here.

Mod,

I hope you're able to get your hands on one for a few days. I think you'll be very impressed!

We had a half dozen of these kicking around the office and I have to say I am impressed. It is as solid as a rock in your hands which for anyone who has owned a bb or used one is probably the first shocker as RIMs build quality has suffered of late.

The QNX OS was the next shocker (though considering it's pedigre it should not have been). It is as slick as snot and twice as smooth. Though the overlaying software has issues and there are more then a few glaring omissions the OS has nothing to do with them.

I do not believe you will ever see the sheer depth of apps developed for it that you see for apple but frankly that is not a weakness in my mind. I own an IPad and love it. It cannot be beat for what it does. The playBook will serve in it's role as a business tool and companion to the accursed BB I am chained to 24/7 365. It will make that far more bearable.

PIO

• Like 1

Any new insight on this debate? I'm in the market for a tablet, and it seems there are as many recommendations as there are tablets!

I like the compact size of the Plabook, but does anyone know how it measures up against the Xoom, HP Touchpad or Samsung Galaxy?

Too bad I can't sign them out of the library for a couple of weeks to play with them, and decide from there!