The question of fragrance.

Hello everyone,

I'm curious to know how you feel about perfume? With concerns of allergies and possible reactions, should the subject be addressed before meeting? Or do you feel it may not be appropriate to bring this up? A light spritz of fragrance may be intoxicating to some, but overwhelming to others. 

I'm cautious of my use of fragrance, due to these concerns. I now save it for more special occasions.  Although, the smell of a favorite fragrance always brings back fond memories. Do you feel like something is missing without it? 

I appreciate any feedback on this subject. 

E

Edited by Sensual Erin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All depends on how much and the purpose behind it. Light perfume is perfectly acceptable. But if only used as an alternative to cleanliness and hide hygiene problems, it tends to make matters worst. I don't have allergy problems, but do get strong headaches from heavy perfumes.

When someone smells like a cheap motel room or rental car, it's normally my cue to walk out.

I'd say discuss it prior with the client.   As someone who has a lot of ridiculous allergies, I appreciate the heads up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Greenteal said:

All depends on how much and the purpose behind it. Light perfume is perfectly acceptable. But if only used as an alternative to cleanliness and hide hygiene problems, it tends to make matters worst. I don't have allergy problems, but do get strong headaches from heavy perfumes.

When someone smells like a cheap motel room or rental car, it's normally my cue to walk out.

Thanks Greenteal. This would be as part of the preparation ritual. Just a light spray of quality fragrance after a shower. I haven't worn perfume for quite some time as I am aware of sensitivity concerns. The smell of reapplied perfume in lieu of a shower, is a complete turn off. That's another subject all together. 

I have been asked to wear perfume on a few occasions. I don't have a sensitivity but if I did, I would mention this while communicating. I think that should be done by both parties if it's an issue. 

• Like 2

Agree to all the above. I've had a few requests not to wear any Kind of Scented Products, even Makeup.. talk about going Natural.. Lol. Weather the reason is Allergies or possible evidence, either way is great. Although, it's not a Common Request. 

Perfume I Don't Use for Dates, something a bit lighter. 

The Smell of Your Hair.. The Smell of Your Body..... "I Miss Your Smell" 😏.. I've Been Told 💋

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm one of those people who has to stay away from cosmetic sections of Shoppers or The Bay. It's not so much allergies in my case, I simply don't like the smell of most perfumes, which makes me an outlier I think. For the purposes of this industry, since a lot of male customers are married the safest default choice would probably be not to wear any. But there is probably so much variation in people's attitudes that there cannot be a one-size fits all solution. Just another thing to discuss before meeting, I guess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I absolutely love the smell of a good perfume and always use all of my senses when with a lady(touch, taste, smell, hear and listen) so I have a hard time to refuse a lady that wears the right perfume.  There are only two issues with the wear of perfume:   1) if the wrong perfume is put on your skin it will not smell nice like it would on someone else.  2) too much of it will turn me off or make me sick.

I went to a massage place in Laval, Que once and the MA that I had selected came in the room and smelled wonderful I could have smelled her for days but alas I had to leave after the hour spent with her.  Needless to say, she told me the name of her perfume and after I left I could still smell it on me(my clothes maybe), I had taken a shower(with her) and washed thoroughly, so feeling like something could go wrong at home I stopped at a pharmacy and bought a small bottle of that perfume and gave it to my wife.  She appreciated it and so did I but now when my wife wears it I'm reminded of that fine MA that I saw.  It smells just as good on my wife as it did on the MA.

Another story like that was the lady hugged me after my time was done and I could smell it on me, when I got home and my wife smelled it too, I told her that it was a hugged given to a lady at work and then I complained why do women wear so much perfume?  My wife said that they wear it when it's the time of the month...lol.

So to answer Erin's question, as much as I appreciate the smell I would have to refuse it if asked before hand.  Not because I don't like it but because of my wife.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For me, I prefer no strong scented products at all.  Not that I don't like the smell but more for discreet reasons.  Perfume can have a really long lingering scent that even your clothes in the hamper after a date could still not be discreet enough.  Other then that as it was mentioned above by @katie that a womans hair products and soaps alone can make for a very lovely smelling woman! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Either...Way should be Acceptable. I would hope that if No Perfume or Strong Scented Products, or any Scents is preferred .. The OP would mention it, and feel like he/she can. 😘.. Just the Smell of Clean is Great too ☺️ 

• Like 1

Perfume is great, in general. Well, I think so, anyway.

But in this industry, there's two issues...

First: you never know when a client is going to react to it badly (in terms of sensitivity, etc)

Second: as others have said, a scent can linger, and some people have issues with anyone else smelling anything... compromising.

So, I'd say - probably best to stay away from anything but the most subtle dab of perfume unless everyone involved is definitely OK with it.

• Like 4

I appreciate having this discussion. Thank you. Even the use of natural products and essential oils may be too strong.

Looking at this discussion, it is important to know beforehand. It looks as if this may be a subject that does not come up often, but is significant enough to add to the communication process. Or do we just assume that everyone involved is on the same page? As we are aware, that's not always the case.  

Edited by Sensual Erin
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 11:11 PM, katie said:

Agree to all the above. I've had a few requests not to wear any Kind of Scented Products, even Makeup.. talk about going Natural.. Lol. Weather the reason is Allergies or possible evidence, either way is great. Although, it's not a Common Request. 

Perfume I Don't Use for Dates, something a bit lighter. 

The Smell of Your Hair.. The Smell of Your Body..... "I Miss Your Smell" 😏.. I've Been Told 💋

Hi Katie,

Thanks for sharing. The no make up or scent request would be challenging. This is going into the very natural....

Would that also be for scented deodorant? This may be getting into another topic, so I will leave it there. : )

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sensual Erin said:

Hi Katie,

Thanks for sharing. The no make up or scent request would be challenging. This is going into the very natural....

Would that also be for scented deodorant? This may be getting into another topic, so I will leave it there. : )

Hi Erin, 

.   Sounds more challenging than it actual is. My 1st time it was requested, I thought Omg What, No Makeup..😬It wasn't different preparing for the Date, but I Survived and went well. Wash Hair as usual, Put the hair in a Bun (which requires less products), a bit of Mascara on Lashes, dressed Done. (Used Usual Deodorant) worked so far, no complaints. I'm thinking the reasoning was more on the, transferring scents though. Freshly Showered, Always Smells great.😉.. Scented or Unscented..

xoxo's 💋 

• Like 2

I did request one of my favorite lady to not wear any makeup on a date, she refused.  One thing I can say is that all of you fine ladies of LYLA are gorgeous and you don't  need any makeup to hide behind.  She agreed to a little makeup and she looked amazing.

Just saying...

• Thanks 4

On 1/9/2020 at 11:35 AM, NotchJohnson said:

I absolutely love the smell of a good perfume and always use all of my senses when with a lady(touch, taste, smell, hear and listen) so I have a hard time to refuse a lady that wears the right perfume.  There are only two issues with the wear of perfume:   1) if the wrong perfume is put on your skin it will not smell nice like it would on someone else.  2) too much of it will turn me off or make me sick.

I went to a massage place in Laval, Que once and the MA that I had selected came in the room and smelled wonderful I could have smelled her for days but alas I had to leave after the hour spent with her.  Needless to say, she told me the name of her perfume and after I left I could still smell it on me(my clothes maybe), I had taken a shower(with her) and washed thoroughly, so feeling like something could go wrong at home I stopped at a pharmacy and bought a small bottle of that perfume and gave it to my wife.  She appreciated it and so did I but now when my wife wears it I'm reminded of that fine MA that I saw.  It smells just as good on my wife as it did on the MA.

Another story like that was the lady hugged me after my time was done and I could smell it on me, when I got home and my wife smelled it too, I told her that it was a hugged given to a lady at work and then I complained why do women wear so much perfume?  My wife said that they wear it when it's the time of the month...lol.

So to answer Erin's question, as much as I appreciate the smell I would have to refuse it if asked before hand.  Not because I don't like it but because of my wife.

Smart man buying a bottle for your wife :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2020 at 10:35 AM, NotchJohnson said:

... I had taken a shower(with her) and washed thoroughly, so feeling like something could go wrong at home ...

I love to keep the smell for afterward (natural or synthetic), but I n most instances, it’s not worth worrying if it will get me busted ... for that reason, I can’t let go and enjoy if I need to worry ... strong smells make me worry ...

• Like 2