19 hours ago, SarahAlexxx said:

Just a heads up to the Halifax providers, if you haven't heard, there is a huge syphilis outbreak. Double down and protect yourself ...

Thanks for the heads up - here is a media report with the numbers ... 17 women and 67 men ... 84 - 20% women in 2019 ... for Nova Scotia

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-syphilis-cases-take-400-per-cent-jump-in-five-years/amp

rates of syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhoea are all up significantly, but rates still low - it’s the rate that f increase and lack of awareness that are largely of concern - most doctors have never seen them!

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-syphilis-cases-take-400-per-cent-jump-in-five-years/amp

Edited by Bobby Keys
  • Thanks 1

While the total numbers are low, statistically it's the increase thats the problem, especially in men.

Most of the providers I've talked with in Halifax make testing a priority and regular event, while I would bet the casual hobbyist doesn't get checked often if at all.

Given that is the case, all it takes is 1 infected male hobbyist who thinks they are "clean" to cause a pretty big issue. Thats why the statistical increase is significant and everyone, especially in a higher risk of infection activity, should be aware of it and take the necessary precautions. 

Kudos to @SarahAlexxx for making this more public.

54 minutes ago, OldandNerdy said:

While the total numbers are low, statistically it's the increase thats the problem, especially in men.

Most of the providers I've talked with in Halifax make testing a priority and regular event, while I would bet the casual hobbyist doesn't get checked often if at all.

Given that is the case, all it takes is 1 infected male hobbyist who thinks they are "clean" to cause a pretty big issue. Thats why the statistical increase is significant and everyone, especially in a higher risk of infection activity, should be aware of it and take the necessary precautions. 

Kudos to @SarahAlexxx for making this more public.

You're absolutely correct. It only takes one wrong client to potentially spread it through our tiny community. 

No problem! I strongly believe this should be an open conversation always!

Just to be clear - I am a numbers guy.  By saying “rates are low” there was no implication that we need not be careful.  

Rates are low BECAUSE so many people started being more careful in the 80’s.  Prior to that, “care” was primarily focused on pregnancy.  A lot of people got “religion” about protection when fear of death from HIV entered our collective consciousness.

Now, legal changes allowing more open engagement in companionship, combined with retro viral drugs taking away the absolute death sentence seem to be shifting focus from care to competition. 

Only recently have I encountered providers using BBFS as an up-sell - even advertising it.  I passed when offered.  Mind you, it wouldn’t do anything for the provider if there was no market.

My real sadness associated with this is that gay and bi men are showing disproportionate rates ... we don’t need another reason for the rest of the world to see us as toxic.

Yes - play safe everyone!

Edited by Bobby Keys
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bobby Keys said:

Only recently have I encountered providers using BBFS as an up-sell 

BBFS Should Be "Illegal"!!

Yes Bobby Keys you are right, the "Past Year" the request for "BBFS" has "Exploded". Even to this day I still don't understand Why. Why Would This Even Be Offered? Why Would This Even Be Something Seeked Out? It Just Blows Me Away! Offered as An "Upsell".. Is Money That Important, To Risk One's Health/Life? 

I Know It's Being Offered Somewhere, Either Publicly or In Person. Why Would One Degrade Themself on Offering or Accepting BBFS, is Unbelievable!! Inquiries for BBFS comes in, about twice a Week. Discusting IMO, I Blacklist them ASAP!

We All Have Choices.... And Choosing To Offer BBFS or Accepting BBFS is Your Choice Also...

"Dirtying The Pool Affects Us All" and That 😡 Me Off. 

And All This For Extra $$$ Is Sad  

• Like 5

My organ donner had syphilis. I have been tested for it more than 15 times. For those wondering, I do not have syphilis.

They took precautions and gave me medication just in case. Anyway, I learned that if detected very early it can be taken care of quickly. This is not encouragement to be stupid. Protect yourself, test yourself, listen to the above advice. Most people will have  no idea they have it in the early stages but if you did something stupid and suspect you have it, see someone RIGHT AWAY.

Sarah Alexxx, thanks for the warning. Considering the upswing in infection numbers I now have something to brag about. "Hey ladies, I very definitively syphilis free." :-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1