Things that suck, and not in a good way.

13 hours ago, Luckyme said:

Learning that Paris's central landmark Notre-Dame Cathedral which I had the opportunity to visit a few years back had gone up in flames. What a tragic loss!

I agree, such a horrible loss of a beautiful piece of architecture and history.  You don't have to be Catholic to feel for the people of Paris.  The French president has already said they will rebuild Notre-Dame and I hope they do, but how long will that take and at what cost?  The original took 200 years to build with cheap labour!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My follow up ophthalmologists-surgeon appointment just got bumped up earlier in the day on May 16th and I have to be in the same city on May 15th for an internment. Time frames being what they are now I'm booking a hotel in that city instead of going home and sleeping in my own bed.  I only like booking hotels when I'm going to see a companion.

RG

Earlier this week met an MA on Kijiji. Low rates and low expectation in a private apartment.

The massage was "ok". But about halfway, I felt a sharp painful pinch on my back that made me scream WTF!

She explained she tried popping a pimple but nothing came out and added that men normally like it. I replied that most men would like better if they were asked permission first.

Over the years, happened more than once for an MA or RMT to ask if they could take care of a pimple or blackhead. And accepted when convinced they had the experience to do so. But this was the first time I ever seen someone not only take the initiative, but to completely fail at it.

This turned a two and half star massage(out of five) into a zero. Hopefully she learned from it.

P.S. don't pm me about her. Not worth it and likely/hopefully an isolated incident.

Don't know if this should be in the "Things That Suck" forum or "Last Thing Purchased" forum but here goes. My computer charger gave up the ghost overnight (it's been going) This morning my laptop battery dead. So after breakfast out (weekly routine) went to Walmart (another thing that sucks...there was a crowd LOL) and bought a aftermarket charger which seems to be charging the computer up fine now

I need a coffee after Walmart though

RG

39 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

I need a coffee after Walmart though

When I go to Walmart, it's either at 7am or after 10pm. At those times, the typical crowd is either not up yet or too drunk to be there.

Most of the time it allow me to be in and out in under 5 min.

50 minutes ago, Greenteal said:

When I go to Walmart, it's either at 7am or after 10pm. At those times, the typical crowd is either not up yet or too drunk to be there.

Most of the time it allow me to be in and out in under 5 min.

True but Tuesdays are my breakfast out with a few friends and fellow retirees so it was after breakfast or wait another day to get my laptop up and running

RG

Downside of living in an old apartment building (built in the 1950s) is maintainance sucks...today the plumbing went and there was flooding in the basement (aka the first floor)  Right now water is turned off and plumber is en route to fix the problem.  Fortunately I don't live in any of the basement apartments and learned a long time ago don't ever get a basement apartment.

But in the meantime there's no water available but I'm told it'll be on shortly

RG

I hear you brother! Same problem has occurred in my 100+ year old apartment. Maybe we should start a new thread: 'Things that squirt, and not in a good way.'

Where's Old Dog when we really need him?

• Like 1

Doing some kltchen renos, and wouldn't you know the contractor measured the new counter an inch too short. Gotta wait a week to get a new piece.

• Like 1

Negative political ads based on character assassination. It's starting again. 

Not as bad as the full year of "Just Not Ready" from the last federal election. But those ads are starting again and for some reasons the Cons take issue with the new #ScheerWeakness campaign that does the exact same thing.

If they want to ban those ads, please do. But only complaining once they become the target is just hypocritical!

On holidays in New Hampsire with my biker friends but had to drive down with my truck instead of riding with the bike because I injured my left hand at work last week.

To make matters worst we are having wonderful wether here now.

• Like 1

Went to get some groceries today (I like my fruits and veggies fresh)  Decided for a treat I'd get a jar of Strubs full sour pickles. When I put the groceries in the truck the bag holding the pickles toppled over, and the jar of pickles fell to the pavement...jar broke and pickles laying all over the place😭  I cleaned up the broken glass and most of the pickles too, and came home and had a cry...I was looking forward to a Strubs LOL😂

Tomorrow I'll try again (buying them that is, not breaking them)😂

A pickleless rambling LOL

RG

I'm obligated (family obligations) to go to Nova Scotia. I thought while there I could take a day (well night) for myself and have an escape. No matter how I tried to juggle the calendar up and down, back to front, there is no way for me to have a day away for an escape.  So what sucks, not having the chance to meet a lady while away, not to mention if I didn't have to go I could have a couple escapes in August. 😭

The only highlight is once August ends September is here and I have two very special dates scheduled 😃

A rambling

RG

• Like 2

Don't know if it's old(er) age or genetics or what but my knees are going.  The aches and pains in both knees has gotten worse.  On Sept 25th appointment is made to get them checked out. I don't want to go under the knife (yes I'm a big baby) which is why I've put it off but the pain has gotten to the point I have to do something.  Whats worse is I can't take any pain killers, because I'm on low dose aspirin (prescribed by neurologist after my Stroke) and he said I can't take Advil, Tylenol or any pain killers while on it.

Wish I drank LOL 

RG

• Like 1

When I started my computer this morning I noticed that it did a reboot and installed updates.  I have no problem with getting updates but while it did that it removed all of my bookmarks and now I will have to find them all over again.  I enjoyed finding pictures on there to post on here so it might be a sign for me to stop doing this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Today is the day for the annual apartment fire inspection (they check the smoke alarm to see if it works)  They are arriving sometime between 9am-5pm today...I don't like people in my apartment when I'm not there so guess who's stuck at home all day...well till they arrive

I hate waiting.

RG

• Like 1

I started to have a sore throat on the weekend and now it's in my nose too, I was able to work yesterday but today is really tough.  I came in to work this morning to get my employees started so I could go home and rest.  I tried sleeping it off and taking drugs to help(sinutab) but I keep on getting phone calls and text so I have decided to come back to work feeling terrible.  I can't wait for the day to be over, so I can go home and rest.

It's only Nov 26 and the local "good time oldies" station is now doing Christmas songs alternating between a regular song and a Christmas song...and I'm guessing if like last year come Dec 1st it'll be  Christmas music 24/7 till Jan 2.  All to increase store sales...thats all.

Fortunately the Classic Rock station plays classic rock so guess what's tuned in now till the New Year

RG

• Like 1

On Friday, I received a letter saying my car insurance got cancelled two weeks ago. I obviously freaked out as I used my car in that period and the fine for driving uninsured is over $6k. The broker and insurer were closed for the weekend and I could only shop for insurance. But as a cancellation is the "kiss of death", I couldn't get coverage until I knew what happened.

I contacted my broker this morning and learned someone screwed up at the company level and cancelled my policy by mistake. The excuse was being one digit off on the policy number, but that still made little sense. They restored the policy, closed the uninsured gap and told me they would have covered if something would have happened. But I'm still unsure about that last part. Let's say I'll likely start asking for quotes once the holidays are over.

That was not a fun weekend.

7 minutes ago, Greenteal said:

On Friday, I received a letter saying my car insurance got cancelled two weeks ago. I obviously freaked out as I used my car in that period and the fine for driving uninsured is over $6k. The broker and insurer were closed for the weekend and I could only shop for insurance. But as a cancellation is the "kiss of death", I couldn't get coverage until I knew what happened.

I contacted my broker this morning and learned someone screwed up at the company level and cancelled my policy by mistake. The excuse was being one digit off on the policy number, but that still made little sense. They restored the policy, closed the uninsured gap and told me they would have covered if something would have happened. But I'm still unsure about that last part. Let's say I'll likely start asking for quotes once the holidays are over.

That was not a fun weekend.

This has happened to me with my house insurance, they claimed I didn't pay it and I proved it to them.  They had the same story "you would have been insured anyway".  Talk about bringing the blood pressure up.

2 minutes ago, NotchJohnson said:

This has happened to me with my house insurance, they claimed I didn't pay it and I proved it to them.  They had the same story "you would have been insured anyway".  Talk about bringing the blood pressure up.

In my case they couldn't claim the "I didn't pay it" part as a cheque was included in the cancellation as I paid in full. But in order to restore everything, I had to cash it and pay the same amount again.

This will stay in the back of my mind when time for renewal.

Just now, Greenteal said:

In my case they couldn't claim the "I didn't pay it" part as a cheque was included in the cancellation as I paid in full. But in order to restore everything, I had to cash it and pay the same amount again.

This will stay in the back of my mind when time for renewal.

So any insurance company can cancel your policy at anytime they want?  So if I make a claim today, they can tell me "Sorry your insurance was cancelled on Friday"  That really sucks big time.

1 minute ago, NotchJohnson said:

So any insurance company can cancel your policy at anytime they want?  So if I make a claim today, they can tell me "Sorry your insurance was cancelled on Friday"  That really sucks big time.

Was having a similar discussion with the broker and she agreed on how nonsensical this was. On top of not having my signature, they never bothered to call, write or email or just see the wrong policy had a different name, address and vehicle. I'm not blaming the broker as she was as confused as I was. But that insurance company is now on thin ice. 

Getting an email today from the bank saying my credit card was compromised. I must say I give the issuer a pat on the back for recognizing the problem so quickly. Have to wait until next week to get the replacement.

I will note that I keep my card in a rfid sleeve in my wallet, so it probably happened at a vendor terminal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boomer said:

Getting an email today from the bank saying my credit card was compromised. I must say I give the issuer a pat on the back for recognizing the problem so quickly. Have to wait until next week to get the replacement.

I will note that I keep my card in a rfid sleeve in my wallet, so it probably happened at a vendor terminal.

They contacted you by email?

Normally they call or leave a voice mail. Are you sure it wasn't a fishing scam? 

I get those kind of emails from Canadian and American banks, Amazon, PayPal and others and all of those are BS. Would be very careful. Never use links from those emails and contact the bank directly when in doubt.