Working out at home during the pandemic?

Guest lydiahardwood

How's everyone finding working out during quarantine? Are you remaining consistent or using it as an opportunity to have some well deserved R&R?

I've personally taken my foot off the gas for a while but I'm trying to get back up to 5 sessions a week. Finding it hard with just bodyweight and limited equipment, but I've found some good tips for anyone in the same position.

1. Don't necessarily take this as an opportunity to diet. Eating at maintenance calories will help preserve your muscle mass - if you're in a deficit you're more likely to lose your gains!

2. If you're not feeling the burn try adding in pauses in the Concentric, add a quarter rep or do drop sets/rest pauses.

3. Want to squat but don't have any equipment? Fill up a rucksack and put that on your back. Or if you have other people in the house, get someone to sit on your shoulders and squat them.

4. If you're lacking motivation to work out then don't worry. Sure, you might lose a bit of muscle and potentially put on a bit of fat. But hey, is it really that important? Mental health comes first, always. 

Please share your tips on working out at home! On that note, I'm gonna do a quick HiiT session 😉

Guest ModCat

My waist is slowly disappearing.

I find it hard to motivate myself outside of a gym with no equipment but love youtube videos I just follow along.

Sometimes I just search whatever I want to workout but really enjoy SELF and Popsugar fitness channels as they have a bit of everything. 

Got myself some Elastics, and Try to do it 3 times a week. Keeping buzy during lock down... Any of you have workout routine, with Elastic band. I have one, its from a youtube website called Fit Father. Wondering you guy have any!

I have been working from home for several years, so it was not much of a change when the quarantine happened. I kept my habits, and I still take short 5-10 minute breaks every hour to do some workouts and stretching. I go for walks, too. But since I wasn't going to the gym anymore, I needed something more. I bought weights and resistance bands. I also like fitness DVDs, but they get repetitive very fast. There are many resources on YouTube to do yoga, too. That being said, I really miss the social aspect of working out in a gym.

• Like 1