May the Fourth Be With You! 🌟

Guest lydiahardwood

It's that time of year again! What's your favourite Star Wars film? For me it's the Empire Strikes Back hands down.

giphy.gif

I don't think many will say differently.

For second favorite: The original cut of "A New Hope" (without the cheesy CGI) is the greatest accidental masterpiece ever made. 

Always Empire.  Thankfully I have Laserdisc rips of the original trilogy that include the cleanups done in the early 90s. But without all the extra junk in them.

So as you see, I not only live up to the old part of my name, but definitely the nerdy part too.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.

Mine is Empire Strikes Back ....... because I was on the Ice Planet Hoth for the filming! I ate breakfast sitting next to Luke and Han in the ski hosten at the base of the Hardanger glacier in Finse, Norway (aka the ice planet hoth).

There are numerous funny stories surrounding my interactions with the film crew but the shortest one to describe is my puzzlement at seeing these stickers on various pieces of equipment: (context - I hadn't, at the time, seen the 'first' Star Wars and was completely ignorant of the fact that there was movie shoot going on) On the various 'snow cat' tractors (unusual to see those in the Norwegian mountains) was sticker with "The Empire Strikes Back" on it and right underneath was a sticker with the Red Ensign (Union Jack) on it.

This made no sense to me as the Norwegian people of very proud and patriotic, with good reason I should add, It was explained to me later that this was the work (and great sense of humour!) of the British film crew on site was in response to the many "Empire Strikes Back" stickers on everything around the film set.

Miss those adventures but at least the Force is still with me :)

May the Fourth be with you!

• Like 1

Guest lydiahardwood
15 hours ago, waterat said:

Mine is Empire Strikes Back ....... because I was on the Ice Planet Hoth for the filming! I ate breakfast sitting next to Luke and Han in the ski hosten at the base of the Hardanger glacier in Finse, Norway (aka the ice planet hoth).

There are numerous funny stories surrounding my interactions with the film crew but the shortest one to describe is my puzzlement at seeing these stickers on various pieces of equipment: (context - I hadn't, at the time, seen the 'first' Star Wars and was completely ignorant of the fact that there was movie shoot going on) On the various 'snow cat' tractors (unusual to see those in the Norwegian mountains) was sticker with "The Empire Strikes Back" on it and right underneath was a sticker with the Red Ensign (Union Jack) on it.

This made no sense to me as the Norwegian people of very proud and patriotic, with good reason I should add, It was explained to me later that this was the work (and great sense of humour!) of the British film crew on site was in response to the many "Empire Strikes Back" stickers on everything around the film set.

Miss those adventures but at least the Force is still with me 🙂

May the Fourth be with you!

Wow, what an amazing experience that must have been! I've always wanted to go to Norway, it looks like such a beautiful country. Have you had the chance to go back?

Love the stickers joke - I'm British myself and that's exactly the type of silly humour I'm used to 😛

14 hours ago, lydiahardwood said:

Wow, what an amazing experience that must have been! I've always wanted to go to Norway, it looks like such a beautiful country. Have you had the chance to go back?

Love the stickers joke - I'm British myself and that's exactly the type of silly humour I'm used to 😛

Yeah I worked there for a year and travelled back 6 years later to ski the Birkebeiner (a ski race - I came in 12th "in the over 70 age category".... unfortunately I was only 28 at the time! lol) and i also skied over the two highest mountains in Norway.

If you get a chance to travel there go. It's a truly spectacualar country and amazing people too. Save your pennies first.

Anyone who reads these anecdtes and recognizes them will know precisely who I am. Welcome to lyla if you do!

On attempting to take a picture of Mark Hamill on a Tauntaun I was identified as a possible spy for 'BattleStar Galactca' which precipitated another whole complicated interaction - I managed to sell myself as someone who only spoke a Norwegian dialect from near Bergen (I had to remove all Canadian flags from my clothing to provide the opportunity to learn Norwegian - they only wished to practice their english on a nateve anglophone!). 

I was even offered a job as a continuity double for Luke (we're about the same size) but I chose to go skiing - even managed to mess up one of the clips by skiing Into the background of a shot behind StormTroopers in a snowy trench along with my Danixh pal, Mans.

Too much fun. I feel so guilty..... NOT!

• Like 1