Who likes whisky/whiskey?

Guest lydiahardwood

Have we got any whisky connoisseurs here? I'm a big fan, being half Scottish I guess it's just in my DNA!

I'm really into peaty whiskies at the moment, my go-to has got to be Talisker because its smokiness isn't overpowering. https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lcbo/island-15020059018/talisker-10-year-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky-249680

What kind of whiskies do you like? What are your favourite brands etc...  

Whiskey is usually my go to after a long day. The Talisker 10y is delicious tho I typically lean towards black label or Glenfiddich 12y.

Always appreciate trying something new! 

I normally prefer beer over the hard stuff. But occasionally like some JD or Irish whiskey.

Guest lydiahardwood
5 hours ago, HenryOcean said:

Whiskey is usually my go to after a long day. The Talisker 10y is delicious tho I typically lean towards black label or Glenfiddich 12y.

Always appreciate trying something new! 

Glenfiddich 12yo, a man after my own heart! Have you ever tried an Australian whiskey? I tried Starward recently and couldn't believe how good it was. Really humbled me as I've always been a bit of a snob and go for aged whiskies, but this is quite young. https://starward.com.au/

I love my Scotch Whisky - don't have in the apartment at the moment: I'm fearful that I'd start day drinking it, put myself in the poorhouse and end up unable to crawl to my bed, lol.

I still remeber my first bottle of Glenliver 15 yo. I had just resigned my position at Waterloo and went to the Prospectors and Developers Association conventiion at the Royal York in Toronto to track down a new job. One of my technicians from the university had previouslly worked for Getty Mines and had the key to their hospitiality suite so when I saw him there he immediately myself and a friend up to the suite and handed each of us a full bottle of Glenlivet. No job but alot of fun at the convention that night! Always have whisky when getting together with my ski team and grad school buddies.

I tend to switch and try a new-to-me scotch though I am rather partial to the smoky taste of Talisker.

Lol. There's also Lagavulin. I've only had one bottle, a fine bottle and it was long before Parks and Rec started filming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYBs3AsFPjI

And this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frbsZ8TGsX8

Corn liquor and american rye just don't qualify as whisky for me - and not simply because they can't spell it, :)

I make whisky rocks. Have done for 10 years now. Cocktail bitters, too. Oh, and lube. Yeah. My interests are varied. 😉

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/ReallyHorrible

That gets me access to the Ottawa Whisky Show as a vendor, and I've tried a lot of different drinks there. I've been a vendor every year they've held the show and I'm a good friend of the organizers. We get some pretty interesting stuff that doesn't get out much.

Rye, bourbon, whisky, etc. I have a lot of favourites, but I'd have to say that my number one right now is an old bottle of Isle of Jura: Superstition. I have a super-taster palate, and the smoky stuff usually makes me cough uncontrollably. I like it, but it isn't the experience I'm after.

I've tried some stuff like Pappy Van Winkle, and while interesting, I can't justify the prices.

Stalk & Barrel are doing some interesting things, and Last Straw Distillery was at the booth next to me last year. I really enjoyed their corn whisky. Both of those are outside Toronto.

If you haven't tried any of the Japanese whiskies yet, do yourself a favour and pick one up.

Here's an example of some of the bottles I picked up after a show to make lamps with.

• Like 1

Guest lydiahardwood
29 minutes ago, Kilt Boy said:

I make whisky rocks. Have done for 10 years now. Cocktail bitters, too. Oh, and lube. Yeah. My interests are varied. 😉

That gets me access to the Ottawa Whisky Show as a vendor, and I've tried a lot of different drinks there. I've been a vendor every year they've held the show and I'm a good friend of the organizers. We get some pretty interesting stuff that doesn't get out much.

Rye, bourbon, whisky, etc. I have a lot of favourites, but I'd have to say that my number one right now is an old bottle of Isle of Jura: Superstition. I have a super-taster palate, and the smoky stuff usually makes me cough uncontrollably. I like it, but it isn't the experience I'm after.

I've tried some stuff like Pappy Van Winkle, and while interesting, I can't justify the prices.

Stalk & Barrel are doing some interesting things, and Last Straw Distillery was at the booth next to me last year. I really enjoyed their corn whisky. Both of those are outside Toronto.

If you haven't tried any of the Japanese whiskies yet, do yourself a favour and pick one up.

Here's an example of some of the bottles I picked up after a show to make lamps with.

Ooft, a man who knows his whisky, I like it! Love a Japanese whisky, Yamazaki probably one of my favourites. Love that you have Laphroaig there, another favourite of mine. I know what you mean about the smokey whiskies, I like a slight bit of peatyness but not something that tastes like I'm drinking out of an ashtray 😛

1 minute ago, lydiahardwood said:

I like a slight bit of peatyness but not something that tastes like I'm drinking out of an ashtray 😛

MMMmmm. Tastes like a delicious house fire.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kilt Boy said:

I make whisky rocks. Have done for 10 years now.

6 hours ago, lydiahardwood said:

, I like a slight bit of peatyness but not something that tastes like I'm drinking out of an ashtray 😛

I can attest to the quality and appreciation of Kilt Boy"s whisky rocks - I"ve given many as gifts, all greatly appreciated by the recipient, especially my geologist pals. As one who enjoys his whisky neat and undiluted by melted ice they 'rock my world'.

Lydia: if it turns out that your comment has ruined my enjoyment of my next bottle of Talisker I'm sending you the bill!

I have yet to savor a delicious house fire.....

• Thanks 1

Love me some whiskey straight or if it has to be mixed with ginger ale as ginger ale settles the stomach...... mmmmm whiskey