Jump to content

No more "Moderated members"?

Recommended Posts

From what I’ve seen, forums with a moderation or intermediate period tend to have much less trolling, spam, and more positive engagement. But hey, it’s always good to experiment with what works and what doesn’t. We may learn some things out of this. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, ColdCompassion said:

From what I’ve seen, forums with a moderation or intermediate period tend to have much less trolling, spam, and more positive engagement. But hey, it’s always good to experiment with what works and what doesn’t. We may learn some things out of this. 

I'm very wary of this, but thankfully you guys are so good at reporting this stuff. Particularly @SarahAlexxx @Greenteal @roamingguy - they're so hot on it! If it wasn't for that, removing pre-moderation wouldn't have been an option. I'll keep monitoring it though to see if it needs to be turned back on ❤️ 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lydiahardwood said:

I'm very wary of this, but thankfully you guys are so good at reporting this stuff. Particularly @SarahAlexxx @Greenteal @roamingguy - they're so hot on it! If it wasn't for that, removing pre-moderation wouldn't have been an option. I'll keep monitoring it though to see if it needs to be turned back on ❤️ 

As much as I've been trying to help. I also don't want to become a "wanna be mod" so ill report as I see stuff... but in the end, I can only do so much as an SP without being looked down on or called out. ♡ 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SarahAlexxx said:

As much as I've been trying to help. I also don't want to become a "wanna be mod" so ill report as I see stuff... but in the end, I can only do so much as an SP without being looked down on or called out. ♡ 

   I echo that sentiment. In the last week had to flag someone spamming fake ads and another posting badly disguised reviews to promote a business partner. 

   It's bad enough having to screen LL ads(and from elsewhere) without having to do the same here. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screening is a necessary evil no matter where you are seeking.  

Reporting is done for the good of others who dont use the same screening practices. Or if you personally dont want to see the rules flouted (me 😋😅).

There is no rule that says you have to report anything, if you dont want to you dont have to 🤷🏼‍♀️ people would probably learn better for themselves if we reported less. Cos in the end its up to each of us as individuals to be smart about our interactions just like any online activity, isnt it?

Edited by Sugar Kayne
Detail and punctuation lol
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sugar Kayne said:

There is no rule that says you have to report anything, if you dont want to you dont have to 🤷🏼‍♀️ people would probably learn better for themselves if we reported less. Cos in the end its up to each of us as individuals to be smart about our interactions just like any online activity, isnt it?

    I agree. But this website is supposed to be a safe place for everyone. The day control will be lost and more people will report fake recommendations and fake ads/announcements from members of this board, the place will quickly sink. This was a bad idea and I already made my point on that subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greenteal said:

    I agree. But this website is supposed to be a safe place for everyone. The day control will be lost and more people will report fake recommendations and fake ads/announcements from members of this board, the place will quickly sink. This was a bad idea and I already made my point on that subject.

This place will sink when more people report fake ads? I dont see how more fakes being reported is bad. 

 

I prefer moderated new accounts too,  but i dont think it changes much bc we all ought to still do our own due diligence 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moderating is a time consuming and mammoth job and I can't believe it's doable anymore. Lyd has posted 15 pages of welcomes (hopefully done automatically!) since May 21 - just imagine the time required to moderate all these recent members. There are examples like this one all over Lyla: I noticed a post by a member in one of the Ottawa forums who was identified as "New member, Moderated Account" and he had 13 posts already so I looked at his profile. He joined in Dec. 2010, a month before me, lol. I imagine the issue is that he didn't post until Jun. 2019, long after the software platform change. It would be nice to be able to clean up those inconsistencies but would take waaaaay too much time for negligible benefit. It would only calm the OCD among us (me!),

I now just do as Sugar suggests, I'll report obvious shills and fakes and continue to practice due diligence - it's fairly easy to get a good sense of what someone is like, either client or provider, by having a look at their posts.

I too preferred moderated new accounts but that ship has sailed. I just want to keep the positivity that is exhibited on Lyla.

As an aside: there is an elite member on here who admitted to me in a pm that he had a 'retired' name (I'm certain that he has two of them) which indicates he was likely banned twice. Just took him two tries to mend his ways though the tendencies are still observable! Yet another example of the challenges of moderation. I was sitting with a group of about 7 cerb/lyla friends and ladies at Barb's SC in Ottawa two nights before it closed for good. I wagered each of them that the new behavior pattern wouldn't continue. I lost. Cost me about $500!, lol.

As stenciled on my underwear: 'Change is Good'

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sugar Kayne said:

This place will sink when more people report fake ads? I dont see how more fakes being reported is bad. 

 

I prefer moderated new accounts too,  but i dont think it changes much bc we all ought to still do our own due diligence 

   Maybe I should have been a bit clearer to avoid confusion.

There two ways to report members:

   The anonymous way by reporting the post to the mods. Something many of us have done so far and not a serious problem for now.

   But the more serious way is when full members of this board are exposed/reported on warning threads or other boards for illegal activities or misleading ads/recos. This is what I'm referring to. When happens once or twice a month, can be acceptable if quickly dealt with. But when over ten in the same period, this is when a reputation can take a serious nosedive. 

   I agree vigilance and good communications are always advised. But after years of recommending new members to stick with verified and recommended providers from this board, not sure if can still say the same. We can never guarantee everyone will be entirely satisfied with their experiences, but at least should be relatively safe. In the past weeks, some of us had uncomfortable private and public conversations with some new members. While expected in an industry operating in grey areas of the law, this place was normally clear from it until recently.

   The board pride itself as different, positive and safe compared to other similar websites. But after a series of exchanges in the last weeks, I'm far more cautious with who I communicate with.

   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sugar Kayne said:

Thank you for the expanded explanation GT 🙏🏻 now i understand where youre coming from. I definitely dont want to see that happen to lyla.

   We're not there yet, but things are not improving. Just this morning, another new member was flagged. And it's hard to ignore when that person started following me and a few other senior members. In the first two posts, three board rules were broken and two other details were questionable. 

   Someone suggested having senior members help with the moderation process and I agree. Just wished the request for assistance would have been shared instead of blindsiding us with the current situation.

   

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...