Guest lydiahardwood

Hey Henry. There's been an influx in traffic (hooray!) and unfortunately with that we've got an influx in spam (not so hooray). We're keeping tabs on it though and removing it and banning accounts as soon as we spot it.

On 8/27/2020 at 5:23 AM, lydiahardwood said:

Hey Henry. There's been an influx in traffic (hooray!) and unfortunately with that we've got an influx in spam (not so hooray). We're keeping tabs on it though and removing it and banning accounts as soon as we spot it.

I couldn't disagree more. Consider this a rant or my "swan song" as this will be my last post for a long period.

In the last weeks, LYLA took a serious nosedive and I feel bad for new members who joined to escape the chaos from LL and other websites. I think most of us would have agreed with the idea of simplifying the moderation process. But completely removing it was a very bad idea. And even worst by asking us to act as gatekeepers and report everything when never consulted.

I never seen so many inappropriate, fraudulent and plain fake posts and accounts. And things are not getting better as the word is spreading. In minutes, anyone can join and post whatever they want without restrictions. Even if deleted and banned within the hour, the damages remain! The messages were posted/sent, screenshots are made and all was accomplished in little time. Some of those are no strangers to this place and created complete profiles with pics, descriptions, reviews and even followers under 30 minutes. And I seen senior members getting tricked by those and we expect newcomers to sort out who's real or not??

For the past week I decided to limit my posts and participation to my normal pics thread. But even there, a newcomer (likely ex-banned member) took a swipe at me. If I no longer feel safe and welcomed, I see no reasons to participate anymore. The old system was far from perfect. But at least made a decent job in weeding out those looking to post free instant BS. Choosing quantity over quality often comes with a heavy price and I don't want to here when sh!t will hit the fan. Until the admin behind the decision either restores a form a moderation or finds other ways to clean this mess, I see no reasons to stay.

Was fun while it lasted and wish everyone clean safe fun.

GT OUT!

Well GT I realize you won't see this post but I hope you fare well replacing Lyla in your life. 

The issues are related to monetizing this website - free to post/advertise, free to join, free to peruse - it will require some engagement by members to help maintain the positive approach here. I usually receive a note of appreciation from a mod when I take the time to identify an inappropriate post - no, I don't report them all, simply the most egregious ones. I just ignore the stupid goofy ones - they're usually a one and only post. 

It costs money to keep people fulfilling the role of moderators. It's not that hard for each of us to help out and keep this platform, that many of us enjoy, a better space.

• Like 2

Guest lydiahardwood
On 8/29/2020 at 5:21 PM, Greenteal said:

I couldn't disagree more. Consider this a rant or my "swan song" as this will be my last post for a long period.

In the last weeks, LYLA took a serious nosedive and I feel bad for new members who joined to escape the chaos from LL and other websites. I think most of us would have agreed with the idea of simplifying the moderation process. But completely removing it was a very bad idea. And even worst by asking us to act as gatekeepers and report everything when never consulted.

I never seen so many inappropriate, fraudulent and plain fake posts and accounts. And things are not getting better as the word is spreading. In minutes, anyone can join and post whatever they want without restrictions. Even if deleted and banned within the hour, the damages remain! The messages were posted/sent, screenshots are made and all was accomplished in little time. Some of those are no strangers to this place and created complete profiles with pics, descriptions, reviews and even followers under 30 minutes. And I seen senior members getting tricked by those and we expect newcomers to sort out who's real or not??

For the past week I decided to limit my posts and participation to my normal pics thread. But even there, a newcomer (likely ex-banned member) took a swipe at me. If I no longer feel safe and welcomed, I see no reasons to participate anymore. The old system was far from perfect. But at least made a decent job in weeding out those looking to post free instant BS. Choosing quantity over quality often comes with a heavy price and I don't want to here when sh!t will hit the fan. Until the admin behind the decision either restores a form a moderation or finds other ways to clean this mess, I see no reasons to stay.

Was fun while it lasted and wish everyone clean safe fun.

GT OUT!

Oh GT, this makes me sad 😞 I completely understand where you're coming from and I apologise if I made it feel like you should act as gatekeepers - this wasn't my intention at all, I just wanted to express my appreciation for the community helping us Mods out so much, it makes a huge difference and I'm grateful to you all.

As a couple of you have now raised concerns about the moderation process I will raise this with the team and see if we can come up with a better solution. Please bear with us. ❤️ 

A fee? I'm not sure exactly what you're proposing, but a fee for Lyla will kill it. More quickly than it is slowly dying already.

@lydiahardwood

Does the forum software have a level below admin that would have the ability to delete posts as necessary? 

If so, what do people think about having a group of deputy SPAM-eaters, made up of a group of longer time more trustworthy regular users who are already reporting the spam posts?

This takes some of the heavy lifting off the admins, and probably gets the posts gone more quickly.

Or even a sub group of admins that approve posts for newbies, same reason, to spread the work out and make it less of a burden.

I think you should look for a piece mod software (not to be confused with a moderator for the board) that will allow for reporting a post to hide it for moderation. 

Basically it works like this:

Set the amount of reports needed. Then when 2,3,4 people report the same post, it is hidden from the board except for admins. Who can then review it. 

It helps because it gets people involved in reporting which is needed. It will help the admins because this is a large board and admins and mods can’t be online 24/7 in every forum. 

I know from a previous board (not industry related) that Invision had a mod like this 2 years ago. 

If you need help, PM me, I have experience with this boards software. 

• Thanks 1

Guest lydiahardwood

Hey guys.

Update for you - we have turned pre moderation back on for new users as we were seeing a rise in spam and posts that weren't in line with our values. As always, thank you for speaking up on this and helping keep our community awesome. ❤️