Biden's victory and sex work

Guest lydiahardwood

I'm the first to admit I don't know much about American politics. But I'm seeing a lot of SWers express their concern about the future of sex work in the States due to certain members of Biden's team; specifically Kamala Harris and Cindy McCain.

From what I can see, Kamala Harris has an interesting history with her views on sex work. She was a big part of the take down of Backpage and a co-sponsor of FOSTA/SESTA. But apparently she is now more supportive of the decrim movement.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/kamala-harris-sex-workers-joe-biden-vice-president-1043941/

Cindy McCain has been accused of being a "white savior" of sex workers and perpetuating the narrative that sex workers need saving. https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/cindy-mccains-false-human-trafficking-claim-shows-hysteria-on-issue-11198400

I'm interested in your thoughts on this - do you think this is bad news for sex work in the US? Or do you think it'll make things better?

U.S. prostitution laws are mostly governed by states and vary significantly depending on how Conservative/Republican or Liberal/Democrat they are. Considering the divided state of the country, the current situation of the pandemic and economy, I doubt this will be a priority for their first term. May see a rushed executive order signed, but I doubt Congress and the Senate will do much about this. 

I really don't see this as a priority for Biden-Harris. I'm guessing things won't change much at all down in the USA in regards to laws surrounding sex work.  We here might find it a priority for our lives but for the average person likely doesn't give it a thought...and for politicians they're more concerned about who they offend the least (they think about the next election too)

A quick off the cuff rambling

RG

• Like 2

I'm not sure what to think about this but I believe that out industry should receive a lot of support from all levels of government. I personally believe that we should be considered an essential service. We are helping to keep domestic violence down and our streets safer from sexually frustrated individuals, especially during these Covid lockdowns. Most clients are NOT violent or sexually frustrated but I'm sure that there are those that are. We can give them a relief from their frustrations. That can put us SWers in a dangerous situation but if handled properly and safely we can overcome the danger.

• Like 2

Guest lydiahardwood
1 hour ago, roamingguy said:

I really don't see this as a priority for Biden-Harris. I'm guessing things won't change much at all down in the USA in regards to laws surrounding sex work.  We here might find it a priority for our lives but for the average person likely doesn't give it a thought...and for politicians they're more concerned about who they offend the least (they think about the next election too)

A quick off the cuff rambling

RG

Yeah this is pretty much spot on with what I think. I can't imagine it'll be a priority, especially with a more "left wing" government. As you say, I think they're more concerned with not offending anyone. And I can imagine uproar amongst Democrat supporters if they start trying to censor the industry more. 

7 hours ago, Greenteal said:

U.S. prostitution laws are mostly governed by states and vary significantly depending on how Conservative/Republican or Liberal/Democrat they are. Considering the divided state of the country, the current situation of the pandemic and economy, I doubt this will be a priority for their first term. May see a rushed executive order signed, but I doubt Congress and the Senate will do much about this. 

True. Every state has slight different rules, some see prostitution as a misdemeanour and other states see it as a felony. None of the states, except Nevada legalize or decriminalize prostitution.

However, In bigger cities, it’s well tolerated and police does not bother too much, especially if we cater to mid to upper class clientele.

I hope it’s better with Biden as a president 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Allie Zeon said:

I hope it’s better with Biden as a president 

Other than a return to a less chaotic administration, I doubt we'll see much change.

Priorities will be the current health crisis, undo Trump era foreign and domestic policies and pick up the pieces. Depending on who controls the Senate, they'll likely try to pass an improved healthcare bill, new tax reform and maybe attempt a gun control law update. Once done, will be time for 2022 House and Senate races and passing anything else may not be as easy.

Whatever expectations, better keep them low for now.

On 11/11/2020 at 4:52 PM, NotchJohnson said:

As long as they don't all move to Canada to pursue their trade it will be fine.  Even if it's seasonal.

You mean the sex workers, or the politicians? :)

Agree with the consensus - it's unlikely the next administration will do much with sex work. There will certainly be no legislation in the short term given the probability of a Republican majority in the Senate, and even if that didn't exist I suspect they'd want to spend their political capital elsewhere.

The only thing that might happen is that Federal LE might be told to deprioritize the moral panic a bit, but since most of the enforcement is at state level in any case I don't know how much difference that will make in real terms.

• Like 1

I have a different take on this subject as far as the politicians, legislation, and law enforcement are concerned.  In the era of FOSTA, which has undermined the original intent of  internet crime and enforcement we must be extra diligent in our research.  Each state will create its own legislation, will be and  are actively pursuing increased enforcement.  Unfortunately, they are using communications and phone companies, ISP's, and at the grass roots level, cell phone carriers' fear of the police to bypass our civil rights and infringe on our privacy gathering information illegally.  This is already happening, and will only become more egregious in that law enforcement can and will do anything they deem necessary to gather information toward prosecution in this area we are concerned about.  They are also coupling sex work with internet crime to increase the rate of prosecution, and level of punishment.  As with all other areas of news reporting, we don't , 'hear it' because the media is distracting its viewership with what they are instructed to report, and not necessarily the news that many, 'fringe groups' are interested in.  Why would they?  It might intercede in a whole campaign to 'crack down on illegal sex work and get these criminals off our street."  This is how the mainstream media refers to this community.  I believe we may be entering a whole new area of intense enforcement, because they can blame the industry for human trafficking instead of looking at the politicians who may be at the core of the problem, i.e., 'PizzaGate', participating in the organized sex slavery market as well as  funding many crime syndicates.  The less we 'hear about it', the more scared we should be.  Pay attention to your states legislative sessions, the new bills are available to read.  Hell, you can attend  the sessions in person and hear what these guys are doing and saying about it.  Become actively involved through research and conscious spread of information.  Just like with many myths that are untrue and outdated, (i.e., if you ask a police officer if he is L,.E., he has to tell you) as well as unconfirmed practices like Entrapment, which may still be illegal on the books, yet in real life Police Officers and detectives are NOT held accountable at any time for their actions in this area of crime in the U.S., it