A dark end to the Trump administration

On 1/10/2021 at 5:04 PM, peacectryguy said:

As for Trump, he has finally had his social media megaphone shut down but it is too little, too late. He knows that he has no hope of being nominated or elected in 2024 by any democratic legal means so that's not an issue.

I could certainly see him being nominated. Yes, Republicans are that crazy, and his hold on the party's base is that strong.

Winning the general election? I hope not, but we're talking about a country that did it once, so...

On 1/10/2021 at 5:16 PM, peacectryguy said:

I also think the Dems are in a very precarious position regarding Trump in the aftermath of this. He should be charged and convicted of several very serious crimes, Impeachment after his term is very likely as well. But if they make the example of him they should, they could very well incite his followers even more by allowing them to view him as a martar.

True, but IMO it's a necessary risk. The alternative is to send a strong signal that yes, you can get away even with doing this. That's what has happened in the past, and... here we are. Appeasement will never work with these people.

On 1/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, Greenteal said:

While I agree there still too many uneducated basement dwellers drinking the Trump "Kool-Aid", I doubt the base will grow from the recent events. Followers who capitalized from the movement are leaving as the venture is less profitable and even the most permissive social media platforms like "Parler" are under strong pressure to control the hate speech.

Right now, Mike Pence is getting death threat! This is how bad things are. Quite funny to see many identified in Wednesday's assault trying to say they acted in the moment now their future is destroyed. This should serve as a message and a cold shower to anyone willing to take that path.

Parler being shut down is a big deal. Disrupting the likes of Al Qaida and ISIS on social networks was a significant part of reducing their reach and influence; the same will apply to the current crop of terrorists.

On the subject of Parler, two very interesting the developments. The first is that a bunch of hackers breached it and have been downloading everything that anyone posted - including deleted stuff, which was still in the databases. And also including photos of state-issued IDs, for the verified users. And all of that it public, if you search for it.

The FBI can't use that in court as it's stolen and therefore inadmissible as evidence, but that brings us to the second development: when Amazon kicked Parler off AWS, they "helpfully" announced that they were keeping a copy of the database to assist Parley's transfer to another hosting service. Translation: Hey, FBI, everything you need is here for you to subpoena at your leisure, after which it will be legally obtained and thus admissible in court.

Mike Pence's plight amuses me no end. He's spent the last five years kissing ass with religious fervour, and his reward is to be turned on at the death. The death threats suck, but the fact that he's had his comeuppance is exactly what he deserves.

On 1/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, Greenteal said:

Don't forget Trump said he would walk with them to the steps of Congress and the Senate. But instead went back to the White House as many of them lost their lives and potential future some still had.

It still amazes me they didn't smell a rat when Trump floated the idea of him walking anywhere.

On 1/10/2021 at 10:39 PM, Greenteal said:

Also, will be interesting to know where Trump will be on inauguration day and if he'll keep or not the lifetime protection from the Secret Service. So far, the only President to relinquish the benefit was Nixon in 1985.

Answers to both questions should give an idea how the day should go.

Congress can strip him of his pension and SS protection. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Phaedrus said:

Congress can strip him of his pension and SS protection. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they did.

Hi highly doubt Trump would accept his pension. The only promise kept was to "do the job" without salary. And from what I read, the little he received was donate to other government agencies. His way to pay less taxes than a minimum wage worker while burning more money than any other President ever spent on travel and security expenses.

As for the Secret Service, Trump doesn't want the protection of armed federal agents who'll turn on him on a dime.

Did he earn any pension by not taking a salary? He declined to salary simply to convince the ignorant he was so wealthy. And regardless he never 'did the job'. He's broke. The salary was a pittance compared to the millions he directed to tRump properties by having foreign visitors stay there, sending Mike Pence to his golf club, directing Air Force personnel to his Scottish club etc.  He has run ripshod over the Hatch act and the Emoluments clause - had he made Ivanka his running mate and VP it might have made this more difficult to do but he probably wish he had thinking she (with no authority to do so) would have attempted to not accept the electoral college votes.

As for the SS detail, they've no history turning on anyone and the donald wants them guarding him because it makes him feel important.

I hope congress does strip him of these. The huge deficit and debt he foisted on the American people, even before the covid financial challenges means any savings need to be made. Besides it's symbolic.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Greenteal said:

Hi highly doubt Trump would accept his pension. The only promise kept was to "do the job" without salary. And from what I read, the little he received was donate to other government agencies. His way to pay less taxes than a minimum wage worker while burning more money than any other President ever spent on travel and security expenses.

As for the Secret Service, Trump doesn't want the protection of armed federal agents who'll turn on him on a dime.

LOL.

He's broke and he's desperate. He'll grasp at anything he can get; it'll hurt him if it's removed from his reach.

However, I suspect that the government will end up paying for his upkeep and for the guards around him eventually... :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phaedrus said:

LOL.

He's broke and he's desperate. He'll grasp at anything he can get; it'll hurt him if it's removed from his reach.

However, I suspect that the government will end up paying for his upkeep and for the guards around him eventually... 🙂

His secret always been to live on and only spend other peoples money. And while technically broke, you can be sure the same accountants who prevented him from paying taxes in the past decades, also created "golden parachutes" to live outside the country once "shit hits the fan". And as Presidential pensions are only $220K a year, I doubt this would cover his lifestyle, legal fees and creditors.

He'll likely end up in a Russian timeshare with Steven Seagal.

and his legacy now is that he is now the only President to be impeached twice.  That will stick around for a few centuries, a lot longer than his Twitter account...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/14/2021 at 1:47 AM, Greenteal said:

He'll likely end up in a Russian timeshare with Steven Seagal.

That's probably his best option, but it would involve him being sufficiently engaged with reality to anticipate what's coming and flee the country before it hits him. I'm not sure he will.

Also, does Putin really want him now that he's no longer useful?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Phaedrus said:

That's probably his best option, but it would involve him being sufficiently engaged with reality to anticipate what's coming and flee the country before it hits him. I'm not sure he will.

Also, does Putin really want him now that he's no longer useful?

Rather unclear at this moment. He recently had a rare moment of lucidity by apparently firing/not paying Rudy Giuliani for his nonsensical legal advices.

Doesn't mean he'll do the right thing as he'll simply trade one "yes man" for another.

nonsense,everything you all are saying is nonsense,in what way did trump incite the violence on the 6th?he called for a peaceful rally and has been denouncing the actions thereafter since.i'm sure not a one of you clutched your pearls when VP kamala harris,speaker of the house pelosi,ayana pressley,ocasio cortez incited violence and called for unrest in the streets last summer.

and here's some critical questions for you:

-why is everyone in an uproar over the 6th but not a peep from all of the propaganda machines about the riots in washington back in 2017 when trump was sworn in,or the protests back in 2019 with the kavanaugh and blasey ford story?

-why was there not heavier security at the capitol and why are were police seen lifting the barricades and letting protestors in?..there are now notorious left wing anarchists and activists (supposedly anti trump) now being charged with involvement in the storming of the capitol.

-what makes you think that there's going to be healing and peace now that "orange man" is out of office,right wing voices are being silenced and the left only plans to ramp up the violence and rhetoric

-there were only excuses from the media when antifa and blm went on their rampage last summer,burning and looting businesses,buildings and terrorising neighbourhoods and cities,the federal building in oregon was under seige for a month and half,autonimous zones setup,murders and rapes were rampant,what makes you think that will go away no that they're in power?

-why are protests no longer the language of the unheard?

-make no mistake,things are about to get worse and you guys already have your scapegoat,but we are about to see unprecedented levels of unrest.

6 hours ago, danfan said:

nonsense,everything you all are saying is nonsense,in what way did trump incite the violence on the 6th?he called for a peaceful rally and has been denouncing the actions thereafter since.i'm sure not a one of you clutched your pearls when VP kamala harris,speaker of the house pelosi,ayana pressley,ocasio cortez incited violence and called for unrest in the streets last summer....

Where to start...

Trump never accepted the election results nor conceded even after all results were in and right wing medias confirmed his loss. He not only told his supporters to interfere in the count, but peddled nonsensical conspiracy theories. And on the 6th went a step further by literally telling them to storm the capitol. And unlike what he and a few of his remaining allies said, Antifa had nothing to do with it. Groups like QAnon, the Proud Boys and armed militia Trump never condemned because "they like him".

As for "VP kamala harris,speaker of the house pelosi,ayana pressley,ocasio cortez incited violence and called for unrest in the streets last summer....", they never organizing guided tours of the Capital building nor opened side doors to allow violent extremists inside. Many peaceful manifestations are mixed with professional agitators. But ALL arrested and charged were Trump supporters.

Even right wing media can't defend his BS. He went from questionable businessman to the worst sitting President in U.S. history. Quite an accomplishment.

#troll @danfan who can't spell.... he meant to select the name donfan.

Just ignore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, waterat said:

#troll @danfan who can't spell.... he meant to select the name donfan.

Just ignore.

Absolutely. DNFTT.

• Thanks 2

Honestly I think I need to take a break from the news for a few days.  There are too many headlines screaming CIVIL WAR!  ALMOST 400,000 DEAD FROM COVID!  Way too depressing.  I actually had a dream last night that I was having a beer with Joe Biden at a bar in Cap Pele. Definitely have to stay away from CNN in the evenings. 

• Like 2

Hello again, democracy for the USA, 

Trump has pushed the limits like enticing a cat on a rope, of what is acceptable in American politics. He normalized what should never be normalized, Racism. Demonization. Bigotry. Acceptable to petulantly rage at one another like blubbering infants, rather than more civil discourse. 

Hello again, USA, to the international stage, global efforts on climate change, and being the shining beacon on the hill. 

Hello again, USA, for being the “united” states of America. 

• Like 1

The only thing left is the impeachment trial and it's unclear when, if and how it will happen.

On one hand, what happened was too serious to ignore. But on the other, a long trial won't heal and unite the country.

Wouldn't be surprised if they waited a few months for conclusions from all law enforcement agencies involved and if a plea deal was made in exchange of some form of acceptance of responsibility and promise to stay away from politics.

3 hours ago, Greenteal said:

The only thing left is the impeachment trial and it's unclear when, if and how it will happen.

On one hand, what happened was too serious to ignore. But on the other, a long trial won't heal and unite the country.

Wouldn't be surprised if they waited a few months for conclusions from all law enforcement agencies involved and if a plea deal was made in exchange of some form of acceptance of responsibility and promise to stay away from politics.

That last part would be the best for the country but I can't see that egomaniac being willing to concede anything, let alone accepting responsibility. They are in a tough spot.

They do need to let the dust settle and let the FBI and other agencies build a full and proper case before they rush into any charges. Get the culprits rounded up that were directly involved which they are already doing. Then build a strong case on Trump.  

Bidens' administration can't let it slide though or they will be viewed as weak by their own constituents. Notably minority voters who will see it as another slap in the face. Trump went after them hard regarding BLM protests etc. They will want these white counterparts equally punished and especially the ringleader in Trump.

A lot more tough times and division ahead in the U.S. It won't be easy to repair the wounds this thing has caused.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, peacectryguy said:

That last part would be the best for the country but I can't see that egomaniac being willing to concede anything, let alone accepting responsibility. They are in a tough spot.

I did say "some form of acceptance of responsibility" as it would be underhanded in a vague legal jargon to. There currently 100+ Trump supporters facing decades behind bars for domestic terrorism. A vast majority of them expected a pardon after following presidential orders, but ended up under the bus. This won't change the mind of many Trump supporters. But for those who took a bullet for him(one literally), consequences of blind faith are real.

One way or the other, Trump will face justice.