Sign in to follow this  

Influential Women We Can't Forget

Guest lydiahardwood

Happy International Women's Day! ❤️

To celebrate, let's create a giant thread of women throughout history, old and recent, who may not have received the recognition they deserved. The first person to spring to mind for me is Rosalind Franklin. She discovered a photograph that showed a double Helix, which was the turning point in Watson and Crick's research into DNA. They received a Nobel prize for their discovery, she received just a passing reference.

Rosalind Franklin | New Scientist

Also Juno Mac. I've just finished her book that she wrote with Molly Smith: Revolting Prostitutes. That, alongside her Ted Talk, has helped educate me on sex worker rights and activism. ❤️ 

Juno Mac | Speaker | TED

Guest lydiahardwood

I'd like to add Martha P Johnson to this list for her dedication to Trans and SWer activism. ❤️ Over 75,000 sign petition to have Marsha P. Johnson statue replace Columbus  monument

Guest lydiahardwood

Claudette Colvin who refused to give up her seat for a white woman - and arrested for it - 9 months before Rosa Parks did.

Claudette Colvin: the woman who refused to give up her bus seat – nine  months before Rosa Parks | Society | The Guardian

Have to give a shout out to Gwen Jacobs for many reasons..... one of them being the line I love to use on my American friends: 'You may have the right to bear arms but we have the right to bare breasts'

DSC_0068-e1438456847400.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Also wish to acknowledge Lise Meitner who recognized and discovered nuclear fission and yet her make colleague received the Nobel price. Her work is a fascinating story and deserves to be fully recognized on International Women's Day.

Lise Meitner - Wikipedia

• Like 3

And while I'm on a science geek run here I also admire the work of Cecelia Payne who figured out that the solar spectrum and stellar spectra in general indicated stars are mostly made up of hydrogen. Her ground breaking insights and analyses were dismissed by many of her male professors at Cambridge and Harvard and despite this she went on to be a pioneer of modern astronomy.

Lost Radio Talks from the Harvard Observatory: Cecilia Payne, Who  Discovered the Chemical Fingerprint of the Universe, on the Science of  Stars and the Muse of All Great Scientists – Brain Pickings

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, waterat said:

Also wish to acknowledge Lise Meitner

Okay, you beat me to it, but only because I got sidetracked reading her wikipedia page while looking for a photo! The other issue she had was that being Austrian and Jewish in the 30s was... troublesome, for obvious reasons, and her work was badly derailed by having to flee to Sweden in 1938.

So I'll give a shout-out to Jocelyn Bell: she discovered the first known pulsar, but the Nobel went to her (male, needless to say) supervisor.

• Like 2