Are you concerned about Erin O'Toole?

Guest lydiahardwood

With the election coming up, it looks like a Conservative win isn't completely off the cards. I've been doing some research (I really need to scrub up on my Canadian politics knowledge) and looks like Erin O'Toole isn't the biggest advocate for sex workers, seeing as he voted in favour of C-36.

https://openparliament.ca/votes/41-2/249/

What are your thoughts? Do you think he will win? And if he does, can you see sex work laws in Canada changing as a result? 

After the recent defeat of the liberal government here in NS, I do have concerns that a "blue wave" might carry through federally as well.

The last federal conservative government saw

- the science community gagged and fired if they spoke out

- all sitting politicians unable to speak publicly without first being validated by the PM's communication office 

And the list goes on and on. https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/08/10/Harper-Abuses-of-Power-Final/

I think most can agree that while the liberal government hasn't done a lot of concrete measurable net positive things for both the sex worker community and the LGBTQ++++ community, at least things haven't slid backwards in time.

I have fears of the country turning into a lighter friendlier version of the US under Trump should O'Toole win.  Lighter and friendlier here means the right wing folks will say please and thank you when they are spouting slurs at any marginalized community they take issue with.  I think we'll also see a shift from science to "I feel like" again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I hate talking about politics because it doesn't matter who we vote for we will never find the right guy to run the country.   I do care about bill C-36 and sex workers of course but will that decide on who I will vote for?  Not really.  With the pandemic and all the freebies that the liberal party gave out someone has to pay to get out out of debt.  I have only stopped for a week and kept working throughout the pandemic.  One thing is for sure I will not vote for the blue at this coming election. Red isn't my favorite party either so I'm left with 2 other ones that are not in my top 3.

• Like 3

No I’m concerned about that Groper Trudeau and his unethical band of misfit toys he calls a party.  You’d be a great member of his team. 

• Haha 2

Guest lydiahardwood
Just now, tidbits said:

No I’m concerned about that Groper Trudeau and his unethical band of misfit toys he calls a party.  You’d be a great member of his team. 

All because I'm doing my job and upholding the rules of this board... 😂 okey!

1 hour ago, NotchJohnson said:

I hate talking about politics because it doesn't matter who we vote for we will never find the right guy to run the country.   I do care about bill C-36 and sex workers of course but will that decide on who I will vote for?  Not really.  With the pandemic and all the freebies that the liberal party gave out someone has to pay to get out out of debt.  I have only stopped for a week and kept working throughout the pandemic.  One thing is for sure I will not vote for the blue at this coming election. Red isn't my favorite party either so I'm left with 2 other ones that are not in my top 3.

Who are your top 3?

6 minutes ago, vegeta85 said:

Who are your top 3?

I mentioned that I hate talking politics specially with people that I don't know personally.  I'm not from Quebec but if I was I would consider "Le bloc Quebecois".  That's all I have to say about that(sorry I watch Forrest Gump last night).

• Sad 2

To echo NJ, I don't really care either way. I tend to ignore politicians who spend more time talking about others instead of saying what he actually want to accomplish.

The only good news is how short that campaign will be. Will watch The weather Network, YTV and stream movies to avoid those commercials.

Guest lydiahardwood
15 hours ago, Greenteal said:

To echo NJ, I don't really care either way. I tend to ignore politicians who spend more time talking about others instead of saying what he actually want to accomplish.

The only good news is how short that campaign will be. Will watch The weather Network, YTV and stream movies to avoid those commercials.

GT you've led me down a rabbit hole. I read a book about tech and democracy some years ago about ads for political campaigns and confirmation bias... BRB, creating a new thread. Lol.

7 hours ago, lydiahardwood said:

GT you've led me down a rabbit hole. I read a book about tech and democracy some years ago about ads for political campaigns and confirmation bias... BRB, creating a new thread. Lol.

When raising topics about polarizing subjects like politics and religion, you'll always end up in a rabbit hole. I personally prefer excluding those from normal discussions unless having a direct impact on our everyday lives.

Guest lydiahardwood
Just now, Greenteal said:

When raising topics about polarizing subjects like politics and religion, you'll always end up in a rabbit hole. I personally prefer excluding those from normal discussions unless having a direct impact on our everyday lives.

Ahh we are opposites in that sense 😛 My Mom always told me not to discuss sex, religion or politics. And they've turned into 3 of my favourite subjects! I see it this way: if you only talk about issues that directly impact you, society will never improve. I see myself as an activist, so even if something doesn't directly affect me, I try to listen to those it does. And you can't do that without having those conversations.

Honestly... I would love to see a swing to NDP. 

Historically it's the only time we've seen a balance budget in Canada. Jack Layton was so close and passed on too soon. I love what Jagmeet Singh stands for and the hope he brings to all Canadians. I think he would do well for the LBGTQ, sex workers and indigenous communities alike. 

I'd like to see a balanced budget. Social programs in place and accessible to those who need it. I am okay with paying taxes as long as they are going to where they should be and not being spent on fines and fees for cancelling projects that are almost completed. There is a lot of money that is very wastefully spent. 

It's honestly a dog chasing its tail game here. People get mad that the PC cut all the spending and funding to programs (to cut spending and pay down the debt), so they vote liberal. Liberal go on a spending spree, basically printing money and sending us into huge debt. The people get mad about that, then vote back in the PC. 

The Green party is a great social party, but they have had a lot of drama within their party since Elizabeth May stepped down. I think they will lose most of their gains this election from the last. 

Quebec party, if they ever get enough votes, will see Quebec become its own country very quickly. I think following that lead, we will see the west break off and the Maritimes' figuring out what to do next. 

Overall, I have to agree that we will see a blue wave through Canada. If it's not majority it'll be a strong minority. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, lydiahardwood said:

Ahh we are opposites in that sense 😛 My Mom always told me not to discuss sex, religion or politics. And they've turned into 3 of my favourite subjects! I see it this way: if you only talk about issues that directly impact you, society will never improve. I see myself as an activist, so even if something doesn't directly affect me, I try to listen to those it does. And you can't do that without having those conversations.

I'm open to all subject matters. But on a board that values positivity, it tends to raise the worst in many.

Guest lydiahardwood
1 minute ago, Greenteal said:

I'm open to all subject matters. But on a board that values positivity, it tends to raise the worst in many.

Perhaps, but healthy debate is not negativity 😉 and I think it should be encouraged! Of course, if anything gets out of hand we will end it there. But we are all grown ups - I think it's possible for us to discuss this whilst maintaining our positive mantra.

4 hours ago, lydiahardwood said:

Perhaps, but healthy debate is not negativity 😉 and I think it should be encouraged! Of course, if anything gets out of hand we will end it there. But we are all grown ups - I think it's possible for us to discuss this whilst maintaining our positive mantra.

Well..... you do have the "Hardwood button" to close the thread... 🧐

images.jpg

If the CPC feels O'Toole maybe they should search for someone else to "lead" This guy is free 😆

I'm not being serious here

A Meme Rambling

RG

5kosui.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

If the CPC feels O'Toole maybe they should search for someone else to "lead" This guy is free 😆

I'm not being serious here

A Meme Rambling

RG

Considering the list of pending lawsuits and criminal charges, I doubt he would be able to cross the border.

Also, Peter MacKay should be leader. He created/united that party, only fair for him to lead it. Even if not really better, at least most people know who he is. Unlike who the f...k the Tool or O guy is...

I remember when I read he won the nomination, it was the first time I ever heard of him and I thought, " Oh, they picked woman. Good for them!" 😄

• Haha 3

I mentioned that I didn't like to talk about politics, but one thing that concerns me is the new "milk crate" challenge.  All those adults that fall and get badly hurt won't be able to vote for Trudeau.

3 minutes ago, NotchJohnson said:

I mentioned that I didn't like to talk about politics nut one thing that concerns me is the new "milk crate" challenge.  All those adults that fall and get badly hurt won't be able to vote for Trudeau.

Think they were more "Marijuana Party" people. lol

when-you-smoke-weed-for-the-first-time-and-it-16150771.jpg

On 8/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, Greenteal said:

Considering the list of pending lawsuits and criminal charges, I doubt he would be able to cross the border.

Also, Peter MacKay should be leader. He created/united that party, only fair for him to lead it. Even if not really better, at least most people know who he is. Unlike who the f...k the Tool or O guy is...

With all due respect, I could never support Mr. Mackay. I feel the Conservatives were better off as the PC party - Merging with the Canadian Alliance / Reform party was like making a deal with the devil, imo. Most importantly, he, along with Joy Smith was the architect of C-36 to our collective detriment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drlove said:

With all due respect, I could never support Mr. Mackay. I feel the Conservatives were better off as the PC party - Merging with the Canadian Alliance / Reform party was like making a deal with the devil, imo. 

Keep in mind the PC Party was nearly completely wiped out after the 1993 election(from 156 to 2 seats). Took eleven years to rebuild.

7 minutes ago, drlove said:

Most importantly, he, along with Joy Smith was the architect of C-36 to our collective detriment.

Again, not claiming he's better. But at least most people know who he is. Lisa Raitt would have also been a far better choice than the guy most would confuse with a used car salesman. Right now, no politicians will touch C-36 until a high court force them to. And that no matter who's elected.

20 hours ago, Greenteal said:

Keep in mind the PC Party was nearly completely wiped out after the 1993 election(from 156 to 2 seats). Took eleven years to rebuild.

Again, not claiming he's better. But at least most people know who he is. Lisa Raitt would have also been a far better choice than the guy most would confuse with a used car salesman. Right now, no politicians will touch C-36 until a high court force them to. And that no matter who's elected.

Agreed. However, do you feel a constitutional challenge to C-36 will ever make its way to the SCC? I ask because the Crown decided not to appeal the recent decision of the lower courts concerning the Anwar case, likely because they realized they’d lose. Now, things seem stuck where they are, and C-36 is still in force in it’s entirety outside of Ontario. Therefore , the status quo remains. Thoughts / discussion?

• Like 1

NO Federal party will touch this issue (legalizing sex work) with a 3000m pole !!

Any party even talking about it may get some MEN votes, but will lose ALL the WOMEN votes ... no party wants that

(not to mention kick on the nuts by the wives of the 3 'extremely happily married' 😳 leaders of the main parties)

If parties saw some benefit, they would have already raised it by now.

I believe this will get resolved at PROVINCIAL level sometime in distant future

... and it will be QUEBEC who will take lead (just like BC took for marijuana)

PS: I am for TOTAL legalization. 

I just want 3 things for our nation - cheaper bacon, socialized housing & legal sex work

😚

• Like 2