Are you concerned about Erin O'Toole?

2 minutes ago, drlove said:

Agreed. However, do you feel a constitutional challenge to C-36 will ever make its way to the SCC? I ask because the Crown decided not to appeal the recent decision of the lower courts concerning the Anwar case, likely because they realized they’d lose. Now, things seem stuck where they are, and C-36 is still in force in it’s entirety outside of Ontario. Therefore , the status quo remains. Thoughts / discussion?

Again, no matter who's elected, majority or minority, C-36 won't be fast tracked by anyone. Priorities are to ride through the current health crisis and kickstart the economy. Until those are resolved, the rest will be ignored for the time being.

14 minutes ago, beesh said:

NO Federal party will touch this issue (legalizing sex work) with a 3000m pole !!

Any party even talking about it may get some MEN votes, but will lose ALL the WOMEN votes ... no party wants that

(not to mention kick on the nuts by the wives of the 3 'extremely happily married' 😳 leaders of the main parties)

If parties saw some benefit, they would have already raised it by now.

I believe this will get resolved at PROVINCIAL level sometime in distant future

... and it will be QUEBEC who will take lead (just like BC took for marijuana)

PS: I am for TOTAL legalization. 

I just want 3 things for our nation - cheaper bacon, socialized housing & legal sex work

😚

"TOTAL legalization" is NEVER gonna happen. Regulations are required to counter exploitation and human trafficking. It's what C-36 was supposed to be about and something the general population was behind. But they included demand/clients to shared equal responsibility with traffickers in regard to exploitation, causing the current situation.

Ladies can legally sell their own services as long they don't do for someone else. And clients can access companionship services as long they understand their language could get them in legal troubles. Far from perfect, but something we learned to live with and will remain for a few/many other years.

I am FED UP !! with having Ottawa represented to me. I want to be represented in Ottawa, by my elected representative, on the issues that are relevant and important to me and my fellow constituents. It's that simple.

Why can't we increase our payroll CPP contributions? But we can increase our Income Tax payroll deductions ? Hmmmm.

How many times has the EI , or CPP , general fund been plundered because some 'Leader' decided it was overfunded. Ummm, and where did the funds go ?? I've paid into those for my whole working life. Excesses funding of a pension plan (contradiction of terms) must be returned to the members paying into it. NOT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR'S POCKETS !!

Is it 20yrs now?, but Jack Layton was the last federal leader to demand that regionally elected representatives vote the party line or be expelled. That was when he lost my vote.

I will vote for a federal party that allows it's elected members to actually represent the constituency THEY SERVE !!!!

Other than that they're all just a bunch of self serving thieving racoons. 

I will vote ! And it won't be a spoiled ballot. I don't want hard blue and I don't want hard red. There are nasty consequences from both.

Understand and remember the history. The future is questionable. Are politicians here for you ? Maybe at the grass roots. But by the time they get tp the federal leadership stage they're all twisted. Choose your poison carefully.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steampunk said:

I disagree with everyone on this thread

Everyone is allowed their point of view...so as you and if this is how you feel then that's on you.  Just go and vote and may the best leader wins.  Don't forget that we are not voting for the federal party leader we want to run the country but the local MP.

• Like 1

TBH, I don't think Erin O'Toole would be as bad in the PM's office as some of the possible alternatives. What worries me is that he got the leadership job because the party realized that they needed someone more generally acceptable to most Canadians on the social issues, but the party as a whole hasn't actually changed all that much. So what would happen if they get in? Who would set the agenda? Difficult to say...

Not that it's really a big issue for my vote - my riding is Liberal vs NDP and the Tory candidate, whoever that is (I can't be bothered to find out), will come a very distant third.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, lydiahardwood said:

Ahh we are opposites in that sense 😛 My Mom always told me not to discuss sex, religion or politics. And they've turned into 3 of my favourite subjects! I see it this way: if you only talk about issues that directly impact you, society will never improve. I see myself as an activist, so even if something doesn't directly affect me, I try to listen to those it does. And you can't do that without having those conversations.

Well, I'm glad someone kicks these things off. Sweeping everything under the carpet doesn't really help anyone in the long run. Things just fester.

• Like 1

I find Trudeau underwhelming. I like many of NDP's ideas, but I don't see how they can get there from here. Weirdly, I like O'Toole, what I've seen of him. What scares me is the Tory support base. Look at the comments on just about any Canadian news article! Who are these people? I wouldn't want to see the country led by someone who felt he had to placate those people. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 6:28 AM, NotchJohnson said:

Everyone is allowed their point of view...so as you and if this is how you feel then that's on you.  Just go and vote and may the best leader wins.  Don't forget that we are not voting for the federal party leader we want to run the country but the local MP.

To be honest, i posted that after a few glasses of wine so i may have been a little harsh.. i just think it is real to have a good debate on any social media as it is too time consuming to type all the arguments.  D9nt worry,  voted in every occasion..

As for the local mp he or she may not ve perfectly aligned with the party but at rhe end of the day, rge rifing will fully count on who wins to be governement and party lines will prevail. It is one of the weaknesses of our system

As Churchill said: Democracy is the worst system. After all the other ones.

• Like 1

I do my best not to discuss politics....my own leanings are my own.

I will observe the following as a universal truth though:

The true definition of a politician is "One who lies when the truth would serve."

• Like 1

I think the outlook on the sex trade from the three main parties is just two versions of benevolent sexism.  They all see themselves as men who need to "save" women from this lifestyle.  The Tories want to do it with hero cops busting traffickers, pimps, and creeps.  The Libs and NDP want to do it with propaganda that they think will engineer women into their feminist ideal, which is some sort of asexual white collar scientist.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, loopie said:

I think the outlook on the sex trade from the three main parties is just two versions of benevolent sexism.  They all see themselves as men who need to "save" women from this lifestyle.  The Tories want to do it with hero cops busting traffickers, pimps, and creeps.  The Libs and NDP want to do it with propaganda that they think will engineer women into their feminist ideal, which is some sort of asexual white collar scientist.

Regardless off what is right, parties will look at voters and will never propose something that would make them lose votes. One must admit that if you're not elected govt, you can't do much....

As @beesh said, no party will touch this with a 10ft, or 3000m, pole

• Like 2

Ahh yes, many opinions / views / observations etc. That is terrific !! The beauty of democracy. We have a voice. 

Joyful C, you're correct that no party has a platform item that allows professional and considerate protection to personal service providers, regardless of preference / orientation. I bet that changes as soon as they can figure out how to implement a more thorough form of taxation; think pot.

In the meantime, I'll stick to my rant; 

I WANT TO BE REPRESENTED IN OTTAWA, IAM FED UP WITH HAVING OTTAWA REPRESENTED TO ME.

But I will vote ! Too many gave their lives for us to have this opportunity. I will exercise my franchise.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:58 AM, lydiahardwood said:

All because I'm doing my job and upholding the rules of this board... 😂 okey!

And it's appreciated @lydiahardwood, I know I do, xo.  Btw, I usually stay out of dicussing politics, but make sure i vote every year. 

Edited by KylieJane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lydiahardwood said:

How is everyone feeling about the news? 

What a waste of money.  $610 million to get back to the same place we were the day before.  I'm sorry but Justin is an idiot.  The country is going downhill and fast....did I mention that Justin was an idiot?

This is still not over all the people that voted by mail will still have to count and we should find out by the end of the week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lydiahardwood said:

How is everyone feeling about the news? 

Pissed Off...Millions spent to get us where we already were. Angry that the Liberals (and Junior) have such low regard for Canadians...and sad that (and jmo) they're the best of the bad choices out there

A Disgruntled Rambling Before My First Cup

RG

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

Pissed Off...Millions spent to get us where we already were. Angry that the Liberals (and Junior) have such low regard for Canadians...and sad that (and jmo) they're the best of the bad choices out there

A Disgruntled Rambling Before My First Cup

RG

JMO RG but I don't think that JT is the best of the bad choices.  In my opinion he is a trader and is not looking for the good of the Canadian population.  I have a feeling that we might get a revolt and that the army will have to break it up.  Again this is my opinion, when do you need to get your own army to fight the citizen of your own country?  He will take from the rich and give to the poor (I have no issue with helping out the poor, I do it all the time) but he will will take more if you make more.  I always try to improve in my life and not ready to stop doing that.  Just saying and again this is my opinion.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotchJohnson said:

JMO RG but I don't think that JT is the best of the bad choices.  In my opinion he is a trader and is not looking for the good of the Canadian population.  I have a feeling that we might get a revolt and that the army will have to break it up.  Again this is my opinion, when do you need to get your own army to fight the citizen of your own country?  He will take from the rich and give to the poor (I have no issue with helping out the poor, I do it all the time) but he will will take more if you make more.  I always try to improve in my life and not ready to stop doing that.  Just saying and again this is my opinion.

Oh I don't think Junior is the best...but the Liberals 🤮 are. Junior is entitled annoited by the party largely because of his last name jmo. He shouldn't even be in Parliament

But that said, and as much as it does sicken me to say it, the Liberals imo are the least worse choice out there...thats not saying they're good. 

What the answer is I don't know. Getting rid of Junior and get a real leader in would be a start...but with pressing concerns (eg the pandemic) a leadership convention is negligent too imo

Just a few off the cuff ramblings

RG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roamingguy said:

Oh I don't think Junior is the best...but the Liberals 🤮 are. Junior is entitled annoited by the party largely because of his last name jmo. He shouldn't even be in Parliament

But that said, and as much as it does sicken me to say it, the Liberals imo are the least worse choice out there...thats not saying they're good. 

What the answer is I don't know. Getting rid of Junior and get a real leader in would be a start...but with pressing concerns (eg the pandemic) a leadership convention is negligent too imo

Just a few off the cuff ramblings

RG

On the other side of the coin, the Cons botched two leadership races and elections in a row with the worst possible candidates. It's not like the party didn't had anyone. But in attempts to distance themselves from Harper, they went ultra vanilla and directly created the PPC!

Hopefully(likely not) they'll learn from this and go for someone like MacKay, Baird, Ambrose or Raitt. No saviors in that list, but at least got some name recognition and can say two words without ramming own foot down their throat.

30 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

Seems appropriate to post here

https://globalnews.ca/news/8210681/otoole-canada-election-loss-campaign-review/

A Current Event Post But Not Really A Rambling

RG

What needs to be reviewed is not the campaign, but the leadership race itself. It's no secret some parties will purposely forfeit an election to keep resources for a campaign with real chances of a majority. But not sure I ever seen it done when they were seriously ahead. 

Hopefully the next election won't be before four years and this sh!t show won't repeat itself.