How far to undress for RMT

I have no where else to ask this question so I'll ask it here.

I've got to one legit massage therapist, and was always told to undress down to my underwear.

I've gone to a new one, and I was told to undress as far as I felt comfortable. I knew she was going to work my glutes, but I decided to leave my boxers on.

Is socially acceptable to undress fully for a massage? The only times I ever done that was going to different providers.

• Like 1

Good question, as I know this can be somewhat embarrassing to ask directly of the massage therapist. In my own experience having seem over a dozen Registered Massage Therapists in Winnipeg, across numerous completely legitimate clinics, and having gotten to know them well enough to ask, I have learnt that completely nude (under the sheets) is pretty standard for a full body, one hour relaxation massage. As with anything, some therapist are a little more shy, and will massage glutes from over the sheet, however most experienced massage therapists will massage one glute at a time with the sheet pulled over one cheek only.

• Like 1

I asked a male friend who's knows the business.

His answer "do you need to be naked"

And it's always safe to be sorry.

Though I don't mind or care either way.

• Like 1

Its normal to fully undress for a rtm massage . Unless she told u to keep the boxer .

i v been going full naked with my rtm since i meet her  2 years ago .

its easier for them to work if u are naked , but it will depends if u are confortable or not.

Edited by guillermo
  • Like 1

I find if the RMT doesn’t mention it, it doesn’t hurt to ask. I have seen over 50 rmts over the years and the majority prefer the underwear to be gone if they are going to be working on the hips/glutes. Just ask in a respectful way and don’t be creepy. With that being said I have often found it is the younger therapists who prefer for you to keep the underwear on. 

• Like 1

I have seen many RMT over the years.  The first one I saw regularly preference was for the person to keep underwear on.  Originally this is how I thought it was at all RMT.  Since then I have found most of them are fine nude and are very well versed with draping and cover.  Through time when seeing someone new If they do not specify during the introduction at the first session I always ask them do you prefer me to keep underwear on or are you ok if they are off. I have never felt awkward asking the question as I want to respect their professional requirements.  After that I follow their directions.  If the answer is it does not matter go to what you are comfortable with I take all clothes off.

the other thing in all this is I am fully aware and respect I am going to a RMT and not anywhere else.

• Like 1

Sorry to chime in guys even though I'm from the Ottawa area but I never had any issue to be fully naked under the sheet.  I feel it's different when seeing a RMT then any other type of massages because your brain know not to get that single muscle to tense up while you are there.  If it does then you could be in trouble(with yourself).  My perspective is full monty and the worse that can happen is she tells you to cover up.

Nude unless asked  not too. Just lay there nude. If she come in and doesn’t cover you up. That’s a bonus and possibly more action to come. Take a chance !!

20 minutes ago, accuride said:

Nude unless asked  not too. Just lay there nude. If she come in and doesn’t cover you up. That’s a bonus and possibly more action to come. Take a chance !!

Haha. Has this ever worked for you?

They are liable to lose their license as it's against regulations for the client to be exposed.

I think the only chance of anything happening is if you have a very good rapport with the therapist, which would probably involve not making her uncomfortable by being undraped on the first visit lol

3 hours ago, accuride said:

In Winnipeg, at legitimate registered massage therapy clinics (direct billing or receipt for insurance type places) I have not heard of people receiving undraped massages. With that said, I know the regulations (draped vs undraped) differ from province to province, however I suspect a long term client at a owner-operated one therapist clinic, or home business, might operate differently.

If I was nude for a massage, I would worry about unintentionally “pitching a tent” after being draped with a towel. 

• Haha 1

Always full naked.   It helps them to work on glutes.   Also some RMT tells you, if you don’t want oil/lotion on your clothes.  Better to be full nude.   I been to many many RMTs over the years.   Only one asked to keep underwear on.  Then I asked her I prefer not to.   She said.  Sure.   

I know why she ask me.  Because last time I saw her she wasn’t RMT.  Was working and gave HE.   So she thought I might expect same thing as before.    Which I will never.   

Ask the rmt. Normally short underwear helps them to work. Full naked sometimes hard for them to keep the drape secure. You normally can ask them, how they prefer short underwear or naked’. Though they can drape you in any way.

If they're an RMT they are fully trained in draping you with a sheet so nothing will pop out. You're fine to be naked if you're respectful... And for heaven's sake pay them the respect they deserve. 

• Like 3

On 1/10/2022 at 5:53 PM, RiverCityGuy said:

I have no where else to ask this question so I'll ask it here.

I've got to one legit massage therapist, and was always told to undress down to my underwear.

I've gone to a new one, and I was told to undress as far as I felt comfortable. I knew she was going to work my glutes, but I decided to leave my boxers on.

Is socially acceptable to undress fully for a massage? The only times I ever done that was going to different providers.

Try Quora - questions like this have been answered 1,000 times 

20 minutes ago, Lush Lynn said:

Why is this so complicated?   Like anything else regarding consent and comfort level, JUST ASK.

This is both the right answer and very well put. 

• Like 1

I went back after my insurance company gave me my rebate.

She just told me to get undressed and left the room, I got naked and covered.

Everything was above board and she was very careful in her draping to not uncover anything while she worked in my legs and even my gloots.

Personally I found it more relaxing that way. As I didn't have to move the boxer briefs around every time.

Thanks for everyone input.

As always it's all about consent and respect. I was more concerned about her comfort tan my own

At interview part, when your discussing the massage. I have had about 3-4 RMT’s initially say leave your underwear on. Which I replied “oh ok” Right away they all say “don’t worry about it.”

I don’t know why they do this?

20 hours ago, DwayneR said:

At interview part, when your discussing the massage. I have had about 3-4 RMT’s initially say leave your underwear on. Which I replied “oh ok” Right away they all say “don’t worry about it.”

I don’t know why they do this?

To see your reaction