So I’ve made the switch. I’ve joined the cult. I’m now officially an IPhone guy. It was for work reasons. Can’t take part in the group texts if you aren’t one of the chosen ;)

So, any advice on keeping things private on this new contraption? I got pretty good at covering my tracks on my Samsung. This is all new uncharted waters for me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clearbluesky15 said:

Sure, a couple things. 

1) Note that iCloud backups can keep photos, contacts, etc. The key they use depends on your account password, so recommend safeguarding that.

2) Even if you delete texts from the device, they 'reappear' if you get another text from that person unless you remove those texts. iPhone keeps deleted texts until the unit is sync'd with iCloud... a better option (and it avoids phone company getting copy of your text) is to use Signal, or equivalent.

3) Consider disabling Siri results for apps that have content that you don't want popping up in other contexts.

4) Keep iPhone up do date by enabling automatic OS upgrades.

5) Turn off text contents for notifications (SMS,  Signal, or email) when phone is locked.

6) Use a phone provider that doesn't list the phone numbers on texts received or sent on your bill. 

7) Depending on how much effort you'd like to do to make the device as safe/secure as practical, there is a Center for Internet Security benchmark that has a much more detail (www.cisecurity.org)

Hope that helps,

-cbs

Great advice thank you. Lots of great tips to look into.

Cheers

Mikey

• Like 1

I don't think I would ever feel comfortable with an iPhone or any iOS/Apple product.

I understand the convenience of an operating system that efficiently manages files, interconnect compatible devices without the need to reconfigure new devices. Reason why those are attractive for people less comfortable with desktop computers.

But after cursing with QuickTime and iTunes, was clear I was not the target user for this. I like to be in control of my files. Would rather delete some by mistake than finding it on vulnerable servers.

And for those who think iCloud is safe, keep in mind a vast majority of leaked celebrity pictures and videos comes from iCloud hacks. When I take a picture on my Android phone, it goes to internal storage. If I delete it, it's gone, really gone. I get why getting back delete content can be practical. But sometimes you got good reasons to delete pictures, videos and conversations.

On top of that, it requires a significant amount of data to operate. I got a minimal plan enough to cover emails and the weather apps. Not sure I want to pay more for something I don't really care about.

Also, Apple stores are notorious to recommend product replacement for minor problems. They intentionally made their products nearly impossible to repair, even with original parts. Took a few lawsuits and "Right to Repair" bills to allow independent repair shops to replace broken screens, batteries and other component without the need to buy new devices. It's not unique to Apple, but a few high profile lawsuits, made them more visible.

Perhaps one of the most important things with iPhone that I haven’t seen mentioned:

Settings > Privacy > Location Services (Scroll to bottom) > System Services > Significant Locations > Toggle OFF and clear history if you’ve had the iPhone for any length of time. 

This feature while on gives a list of all the places you’ve visited - dates, addresses and timestamps included. 

Edited by Berlin Moss
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You mention it's for work, did work provide this phone to you or pay for the service?

If so, they own it, and also have the right to view anything you do on it.  Never use a company provided device for personal usage.

I've seen to many people do this and be surprised about what the company legally has access to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Off 

This keeps you off “Find My iPhone” until you turn it back on. 
Reduces awkward conversations with your wife as to why you were at Hotel X for 2 hours that afternoon when you were supposedly golfing. 

Airplane mode also does this, but you won’t get texts or calls. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently got a new android phone from work too although not a iphone I'm worried that they can also check my history.   With bill 88 effective in Ontario we will have no more privacy anymore.  I might have to quit this lifestyle.  Any advice on keeping my privacy on my Samsung phone?  Sorry for hijacking this thread for this.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NotchJohnson said:

I recently got a new android phone from work too although not a iphone I'm worried that they can also check my history.   With bill 88 effective in Ontario we will have no more privacy anymore.  I might have to quit this lifestyle.  Any advice on keeping my privacy on my Samsung phone?  Sorry for hijacking this thread for this.

Get a personal phone.  Work phones are for work, especially if they have any sort of MDM (device management) software on them.

Even on my own personal phone I subscribe to services such as iplum that give me a secondary number to use to protect my actual phone number from being used maliciously.  So much stuff in our lives are tied to our email and phone number these days that it just gives malicious actors single points of attack to take over aspects of your lives.

But back to your question.   Definitely have a personal phone for your personal life.  If it's a work phone, you don't want to tie any of your personal activity to it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OldandNerdy said:

But back to your question.   Definitely have a personal phone for your personal life.  If it's a work phone, you don't want to tie any of your personal activity to it.

This is worth re-iterating: if it's a work device then your employer has the right to monitor everything you do with it. You have no privacy there at all. But more than that... consider a work phone for your work life, a personal phone for your personal life.... and a private phone for your private life :)

I have a cheap android phone on a cheap contract, purely for this stuff. It costs me maybe $20 a month, which you can probably afford if you can also afford to see ladies on anything like a regular basis. I never use that phone for anything relating to my normal life, and never use my normal phone for anything relating to the things we discuss here.

That won't stop government-level tracking of me - anyone who can get access to the phone provider's records will know who I am, so it's not a sufficient solution if you're *really* paranoid - but it *does* stop the relentless data-slurping that Apple and Google do, and that's really what I'm concerned about. It means that there's (hopefully) no chance of cross-contamination between various contact lists, social media accounts, emails, or anything else.

That may not work for everyone - you have to have a separate, unexplained phone and there's a bill that gets paid every month, which you'd have to explain if anyone else was watching your bank account - but it works for me. It also means that for anyone worrying about device tracking on their regular phone, you can just leave it in the office (or wherever) while you step out for a "meeting"...

• Like 4

A dumb question...because I don't know. Could you buy a second (personal) SIM card, and swap it out of your work phone.  Personal calls use the personal SIM card. Put in the business SIM card during business hours. But still keep the same phone. Or better just to have two phones

A Question Rambling For What It's Worth

RG

• Like 2

Thanks for the great advice everyone.

It is a work phone but I'm not concerned about that. It's a pretty easy going organization in a lot of respects. I would likely be the one looking into it if we ever had an employee phone issue. I'd have a tougher time explaining why I had an extra phone to be honest.
And I realize that the precautions I use are not foolproof if someone who knows what they are doing is looking. It's the accidental stuff I'm trying to avoid. I am more concerned about the fact that Iphone seems to go out of it's way to be "helpful" by keeping track of everything you do and predicting what you may want. Backing up stuff you want deleted, etc. Iphone people also seem to want to link their accounts to share stuff (which I know is a very bad idea of course). I've already gotten the "we should link our accounts so you can use my I tunes account and play my music...."        Um....no. Can't. It's a work phone sorry lol

I got some great pointers here though which will be most helpful. 

Thank you everyone.

Mikey

• Like 3

Just be aware, even the most "easy going organizations" can turn nasty if there is ever an issue that might impact their public image.

Using a piece of work provided / owned technology to do anything legally murky can be additional grounds to terminate someone. 

I've seen it happen before.  "You used company property to do --the thing--, which is a breach of your terms of employment. "

Just be careful and thoughtful of the future.  Easy going bosses can change attitude quickly if they want to find a reason to.

• Like 1

If use "cheap unlocked phones" in Google shopping or other search engines, you'll find plenty of options under $100 including some previous generations used/refurbished iPhones.

But as a word of advice, only buy used devices from trustworthy sellers to avoid ending up with a stolen phone that may been flagged, blacklisted or bricked by the carrier or manufacturer.

Hi Mikeyboy,

Welcome to the “iPhoners” club. I recently updated my device & was looking for some tips & tricks. I’ve known about this guy (Gary @ Macmostnow.com) for quite a few years. His videos are always solid, easy to follow and full of info. 
https://youtu.be/ob7SJQyEVG8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just went out and got a sperate phone that "doesn't exist".  Using 7-11 Speak Out.  Pay cash to top up the account.  Use a separate e-mail and itunes account (and a back-up account for recovery, I use gmail and GMX).  Use completely different passwords.  Keep location services off.  Maybe overkill, but depending on who you want to keep the the information away from.  But the less it relates to any other account you have the harder it is for algorithms to find it (passwords are one way they relate accounts).