Asking providers to use them as references

Bonjour gentleman, 

Usually, before using a provider as a reference, do you reach out to them to ask if they agree to do so? Yes or No?

Please feel free to elaborate on the topic in the comment 

Thank you and have a lovely day 

Before trying to have someone provide you with a reference, you should always talk to them first to make sure they are comfortable with that, and that you'll get the result you expect.

This is valid for

- personal references for jobs/volunteering

- professional job references

- receiving services from any service provider 

- everything else

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yes, I always check that it's OK, and tell them who it'll be for. Never been an issue, but it just seems like common courtesy...

• Thanks 1

Yes, always check first.

Some ladies are upfront about you using them as a reference so it is easy.  Others it feels like asking your current employer to use them as a reference while you're still working and they didn't even know you were looking for a new job - a little awkward.  

And if any asked to be compensated for using them as a reference I think that would be more than resonable.

• Thanks 1

If you would like to use me as a reference please ask me first .. and only if you are a regular or have seen me within the past month 

And I will be upfront and honest with her about our experience ... But that doesnt mean she will have the same type of chemistry or experience

Reason why I don't use them 

Payment for a reference. Do many SPs ask for compensation for being used as a reference? I would think this would go contrary to the reason for referencing. What would an SP think if she found out another SP was being compensated? To me it would be like being paid for a positive review of a service ie restaurant. The reference could be legit. Though some may think the reference is fraudulent due to being paid. 

Edited by Akira