What would be your dream job?

When I was younger I told my grandmother I wanted to be a lawyer.

"They are all bunch of fucking cheats and liars" she exclaimed loudly. "Why don't you become a doctor?" she asked. I was 10 years old at the time, but I still want to be a lawyer and perhaps one day work in the library of the Supreme Court of Canada. We should always dream big!

My mentor growing up was my high school shop teachers, both in welding and auto mechanics. Never pursued it until I was in my early 30's. Fate happened  and I was in a serious car accident. Couldn't do the job I was in so disability insurance said that they would pay for new education and re-train me.  I asked if they would pay for my diploma in education which they did so off I went to Queen's University. One year later I was qualified and that was the beginning of my dream. Spent time in a bunch of different schools until I became full time. Lots of ups and downs but 27 years later I took an early retirement to end my dream. It was a fun and rewarding career but retirement pays almost as well with a lot less stress.    

• Like 2

Growing up and living in the country with no neighbors of my age nearby when I would come home from school I wouldn't do homework I would cook.  Actually it was baking, I would make a different cake every week.  The first few were Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines but after I found my grandma recipe book it was a total new game.  So when I was in my last year of high school my dad asked me what I wanted to do for living.  I said that I wanted to be a baker and he told me that this was a woman's job so he sent me to school for a engineer.  Don't get me wrong I enjoyed what I learned but it was after that that I became a firefighter and did this until 10 years ago.

I still do a bit of baking when I can find some time.  Cookies, pies, etc...

• Like 1

Back in 2011 I posted (I was working back then) that my dream job would be retirement.  Well life threw a curve and I took retirement a little earlier than expected (Oct 2013) but it's worth it...except for bad knees still not repaired lol and coronavirus, retirement has turned out to be a dream job

BTW I'd have bad knees if still at work and COVID would be compounded where I worked (in a prison, one that had an outbreak of coronavirus...I'm lucky to have missed that)

A Rambling

RG

• Like 1

As a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut and then a monster truck driver. One time someone told me that accountants make good money, so I wanted to be that for a bit. Perhaps, one day, I'll realize my dream of doing someone's taxes while driving a monster truck on the moon!

• Haha 1

Jedi Master Yoda. "Do or do not, there is no try". 

Or anybody in Star Trek except the red shirt guys who always die in the first scene. I wish I could insert a funny meme here.

Okay, joking aside, a musician (jazz saxophonist perhaps) even though I don't have an ounce of musical talent.

• Haha 2

As a kid my dream job changed quite a bit. Everything from being a cop, race car driver, hockey player to a clown.

Now as an adult, my dream job would be to be retired and be free.

• Like 2

Guest lydiahardwood

I used to want to be a journalist! With our weekly interviews I feel like I've almost achieved that childhood dream 🙂 

5 hours ago, lydiahardwood said:

I used to want to be a journalist! With our weekly interviews I feel like I've almost achieved that childhood dream 🙂 

Yes!  That would be perfect for you!

• Like 2

A little more serious response from me. As a very young child (4-6), I had a fascination with numbers and problem solving. I would have liked to be a mathematician. As I grew older and any thought of university was off the table, I ended up in a trade and realized that I have a particular talent for building things and a love of architecture. I now enjoy refurbishing and remodeling old houses. Carpentry is a joy to me but all aspects of it are fun. 

• Like 1

As a kid my dream job changed every second week. When was time to choose,  there was so many careers i didnt know existed. I ended up going tk university in a field i loved, especially the learning part ! Later i ended up as an executive and the specific field didnt matter as much. I loved it, still do.. I think my trademarks was that i was able to genuinely relate to a wide diversity of people, from workers to physicians to executives. I also trusted my people and gave them enough rope on the leash, lol. Still required results and quality work. I also like to think that i walked the talk. 

Following a motorcycle accident several years ago, I am on disabilty leave because of chronic fatigue, concentration and memory issues (not great for a executive).  I dont see much improvement for a while so i dont know fhagi awill ever be able to go back.

But enough whining, my dream job woukd be to be able to go back to my old job!  Lol

• Like 1