Movies That Can Only Be Watched Once

With the movie threads, here's one. What movies can only be watched once.

I'm not thinking of bad movies, just hard movies to watch.

In case your scratching your heads, here are two that I could only watch once

Schindler's List

Platoon

Both critically good, but not entertaining, if that makes sense

Any others

RG

Requiem For A Dream....great movie....but Jesus Christ if I ever have to watch it again I'd probably do away with myself :p

Apocolypse Now - Another great movie....but not really "entertaining" per se

• Like 1

Guest E*******h S******s

Sophie's Choice - phenomenal acting but right up there with Schindler's List as beng a tough one to watch.

Casualties Of War with Michael J Fox and Sean Penn is another good one. Probably one of my favorite Vietnam based movies....but holy depressing! I own it but only watch it about once every 10 years lol.

Thin Red Line is another war movie hard to watch

Another one, a police movie, based on true events, that's hard to watch is The Onion Field

RG

The Sixth Sense, once you know the ending watching it (the movie) loses something. Actually when you watch it a second, third time the clues are so obvious it makes on wonder "how did I miss that?"

Leaving Las Vegas... I bought the DVD because the performances were so good, but haven't been able to bring myself to actually watch it again.

How about the English Patient, when this movie came out there was so much critical acclaim with Oscars and other awards that it seemed that no one was allowed to dislike this movie (there was even a Sienfeld episode devoted to this). I saw this one in the theatre at the time and neither my date nor I understood the hype. I've never been able to being myself to try watching this one again.

Posted via Mobile Device

2004's King Kong. Not a bad movie per se but emotionally exhausting.

Gone Baby Gone. A solid movie but it kills a little more faith in humanity every time you watch it.

I used to be a big fan of the Criterion Collection; it's a collection of groundbreaking independent and international films, plus a few other Hollywood blockbusters. Two titles featured in that collection are definitely on this list, and watching them once was difficult.

(1) Sweet Movie - One of the avant garde films of the 70's this joint Canada/France/Germany production was... ummmm... well it was weird, disgusting, shocking and in my opinion rather disjointed. It was uncomfortable to watch.

(2) SALO; 120 days of Sodom - This Italian film was in your face. It is about 4 powerful men connected to the Mussolini regime who kidnap 9 young men and 9 young women (children of the opposition) and force them into all sorts of acts of depravity for 4 months. Neither a beautiful film nor an artistic masterpiece, it moves to show the absolute moral corruption that a fascist regime can generate. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Eraserhead!

I saw this back in 1992 or so, and after emerging from the theater said:

a) I'm glad I saw that, and

b) I'm glad I never have to see that again.

I think I'll go add that to the list of movies that should never be remade either. :)

Eraserhead is a dark, bizarre nightmare of a movie that defies any description. There's some real genius at work there (David Lynch's first effort), although the end just kind of falls apart into weirdness. I've always described it as a movie everyone should see once, but you'd have to be seriously twisted to watch it a second time.

(Caveat: you guessed it. Just last year, I watched it a second time. Seriously twisted.)

"The Crying Game". Once you watch *the* scene, you can't see the actor in quite the same way afterwards.

• Like 1

Eraserhead!

I saw this back in 1992 or so, and after emerging from the theater said:

a) I'm glad I saw that, and

b) I'm glad I never have to see that again.

I think I'll go add that to the list of movies that should never be remade either. :)

Eraserhead is a dark, bizarre nightmare of a movie that defies any description. There's some real genius at work there (David Lynch's first effort), although the end just kind of falls apart into weirdness. I've always described it as a movie everyone should see once, but you'd have to be seriously twisted to watch it a second time.

(Caveat: you guessed it. Just last year, I watched it a second time. Seriously twisted.)

I remember watching this on vhs or cable in the early 80's with my Mum and a friend. We were all word less throughout and after, still am. But it is one Lynch film that I believe has no red drapes. Just re-read a synopsis and still don't get it. I do remember seeing Sissy Spceks name in the credits and I loved her at the time so I just thought I might have missed something. I am not very artsy. ( sound of fingers snapping)

Saving Private Ryan (at least from beginning to end), Schindler's List and The Pianist. All too intense.

Will include "Avatar"(2009) on the list. Other than introducing moviegoers to an immersive photorealistic 3D experience, the story is far from creative. If you seen "Dances with Wolves" or "FernGully", you already know the story. This will make the sequel interesting to follow as "Avatar: The Way of Water" is coming out in a few weeks and the stakes for James Cameron and the studios are very high.

This is not the first time Cameron gambles on a very high budget movie. There was "Titanic" in 1997 that did very well by targeting the right audience at the right time. Making 2.2 billion on a 200 million budget. This was fallowed by "Avatar" with nearly 3 billion on a 237 million budget. But for the sequel, things will be very different.

Budget numbers for "Avatar: The Way of Water" are unclear as divided between 4 movies. "Avatar 3" is currently in post-production and 4 and 5 are still pending. On Wikipedia, the budget of the second movie is estimated between 350 and 400 million. This doesn't include marketing and work on other sequels. Some sources estimated it would take two billion at the box-office for the studio to break even. While the name recognition and little competition will help the movie, a lot changed in the past decade. Photo realistic CGI is no longer a reason to rush into movie theaters and there a fatigue around 3D. 

And the 192 min (3hours 12 min) runtime will be a problem for many. This is not an epic conclusion like "The Return of the King" or "Endgame". And James Careron tweets about the subject matter won't really help. The pandemic changed how people watch movies. Asking them to sit over 3 hours with 3D glasses is a lot to ask. Also, some of Cameron's old tweets about Marvel/Comic book movies didn't age well after 20th Century Fox was acquired by Disney. Directors and producers trashing Marvel Studios is nothing new, but when catering the same audience, better to keep silent on the matter.

I'm not yet sure if I'll see or not. The reviews and numbers will likely be more interesting to watch. 

Watching movies more than once? can't relate

My vote goes to any Hitchock film. It's hard to watch once, let alone twice. "Vertigo" claims prize as least watchable in 2022