Tablet talk....

I was wondering if I could get some comments & conversation on tablets besides the iPad?

Anyone have experience with any of the Android-based tablets currently available? I own a first generation iPad and have looked at Blackberry's PlayBook which is essentially useless to me as I don't have a Blackberry phone. I am curious about other non-iOS and Blackberry tablets though...

Thanks

Satin

From my initial findings (as i am looking for one myself) there is barely and difference between these android tablets..

few to look at are :

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (This is the closest device to the iPAD style tablet .. slim lightweight) - $499 / 16 GB

cons - no Expansion slot .. and everything goes trough samsung new integrated connector style

Asus Eee Pad Transformer - Affordable (if you dont get the keyboard docking - $ 399/16GB)

a bit heavier then the mentioned tablet above, but hey! its made by Asus :) - expansion slot and micro HDMI out if that even matter

Motorolla Xoom - $499 / 32GB

Similar to the Asus EEE Pad Transformer, slimmer. Google just acquire motorolla ... which could means Android update is going faster on motorolla devices..

Hardware wise.. they all pretty much the same

Dual Core 1Ghz

I've had a Motorola Xoom since about May and love it. My gf has a first gen iPad and the Xoom blows the doors off of it.

The Android market is extremely well stocked with apps... the camera is great for everyday use but also for apps like Evernote, etc and the operating system works extremely well.

I have a 32GB wi-fi (not sure if the the 3G is available in Canada yet) and do not regret the decision at all.

It's very gutsy in terms of hardware and power.

I am also a big believer that nothing is truly yours until you've voided the warranty - so have also "rooted" mine... similar to jailbreaking on the ipad. It allows some additional customization and whatnot - but even without it I find it much more versatile than the iPad.

Lastly - if you're already a user of Google products for calendar, mail, docs, etc - the integration is (understandably) a dream.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Nebbah

It depends a lot on your wants and needs.

You can get an Android Next6 tablet from Walmar for only $188 http://www.walmart.ca/Electronics/Computers-Accessories/Tablets/Next6-Tablet

It doesn't connect directly to the cell network (ala 3G), but you connect via WiFi or tether it to your cell phone for internet access.

It's pretty neat and covers off all of the basics and then some.

They have a 15 day return policy, so if you don't like it just bring it back and try another.

• Like 1

I bought one of the original Samsung Galaxy Tablets (7 inch) in December. Have been using it for 8 months now and absolutely love it. It is 3G enabled, so I have internet access pretty much anywhere.

The Android OS is great. I am running version 2.2, but the latest tablets are running 3.0 (correct me if I'm wrong here), which has enhancements over 2.2. I use it mainly for work (email, skype, remote access), but it has a lot of my music and audio books on it. It does have an expansion slot, so it came with 16Gb and I added a 16 Gb Micro-SD card.

It is a fabulous piece of technology. When I got it, my 12 year-old picked it up and was using it in about 20 minutes.

I am biased a bit as I am not an Apple fan, but it was one of the best purchases (technology) I have made in the last couple of years.

Thank you guys for all your comments and suggestions. I have to read the posts over a couple of more times, make a list and then do some more research.

For my purposes, wifi model (without 3G) will do just fine as I can hotspot my iPhone and connect to the Internet that way.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

XXX

Satin

One final note from my side of the ring....

There's a glut of these coming onto the market. There's seemingly very few companies who aren't planning to release a tablet in the next couple of quarters if they haven't already.

You can bet they'll be a metric tonne of copying, idea stealing, shrinking and innovation happening in the next little while.

All this to say, patience will pay off. I likely pulled the pin on my Xoom faster than I should have and my girlfriend is definitely drooling at the new models as she uses her first gen iPad (uses it slowly, I might add!).

Incidentally, Google and Intel have announced that they've partnered on Android to make interoperation with Intel chips more seamless. Also, the newest version of Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) is slated for release later this year. That will signal the merging of the two Android platforms (2.2 geared towards phones and 3.x which is optimized for tablets).

In short, it's a space where movement and improvement will happen quickly and pricing will be very competitive.

Have fun!

Nebbah

Patience has it's virtues.

The Next6 is on sale for $158 this week at Walmart.

Nice. Thank you for the heads-up. I will go and check it out. :)

XXX

Satin

For my purposes, wifi model (without 3G) will do just fine as I can hotspot my iPhone and connect to the Internet that way.

Personally, I have my eye on the Samsung Galaxy 10. The people I know who have bought one love it. The Xoom was good, but the Galaxy is even nicer (ie...newer). It's the one Apple is afraid of, if you pay attention to the lawsuits flying around right now.

On the other hand, if you have an iPhone, I would probably suggest getting an iPad. It is very nice to be able to share your apps across the devices and the OS is something you will be very used to.

Interesting reading. I know this thread is about non ipad products, but I'm used to iphones and I'm looking at an ipad2. Anyone know the cheapest place to purchase one? I'll likely buy it tomorrow.

Guest ***nsut***jr

Apple stuff doesn't go on sale or get discounted as a rule. Go to the most convenient place.

And all warranty stuff gets funnelled back to the Apple store.

J

Apple has Education pricing for anyone in college or university. If you go to the online apple store, down the left hand side there is a link for education store.

Most things are $50 or $100 less, ipods don't seem to ever have an education discount, I'm not sure about iPads.

Here's the great thing. The Future shop is now matching the education price! I bought a mac book air at the future shop and got the Education price, and they didn't ask to see id. You just have to mention it, and they will offer to match it. So before you buy check the price at the education store to see it it's any better.

I think a lot of them are just too pricey, I am using a Playbook I got for $269 and it does everything I want it too do.

One interesting new developmental is the e readers are making a push with a new Kindle and Kobo with many new functions. The new Kobo Vox has a colour 7" screen, Wifi access, a browser, and Android 2.3 so that you can use their apps all for $199. I think that the tablets makers are all going to drop their prices considerably if they want to compete.